Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport incident Thursday Morning!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

He'll probably have extra charges put before him later, but one thing is certain, he'll never scratch a lottery card on Ryanair again !

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

L1011 wrote: »
    He went out a fire exit. Which must be openable by punters lest there be a severe fire. He had passed security, so there would have had to be a lapse there for him to be carrying anything more threatening than is purchasable in duty free; a broken bottle or a 'flamethrower' of a can of Lynx and a lighter maybe.

A severe fire has actually happened - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%BCsseldorf_Airport_fire . Aer Rianta later bought half of that airport as it happens.

Well he didn't get out a fire exit, that's why he's been charged with criminally damaging the boarding gate door (or more specifically it's magnetic lock).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well he didn't get out a fire exit, that's why he's been charged with criminally damaging the boarding gate door (or more specifically it's magnetic lock).

"damaging" by hitting the break glass unit from what it appears; which is there for fire exit purposes.

The replacement glass is about 9c in bulk!

If he did actually force the maglock by ramming the door, this doesn't really cause much damage either and is again inherent in having maglocked doors. If there's low voltage for any reason a very solid kick as close to the lock as possible can open it without damaging anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

"damaging" by hitting the break glass unit from what it appears; which is there for fire exit purposes.

The replacement glass is about 9c in bulk!

If he did actually force the maglock by ramming the door, this doesn't really cause much damage either and is again inherent in having maglocked doors. If there's low voltage for any reason a very solid kick as close to the lock as possible can open it without damaging anything.

It was the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

L1011 wrote:
    He went out a fire exit. Which must be openable by punters lest there be a severe fire. He had passed security, so there would have had to be a lapse there for him to be carrying anything more threatening than is purchasable in duty free; a broken bottle or a 'flamethrower' of a can of Lynx and a lighter maybe.

Was he actually carrying anything that he allegedly used to get through the door? Do you believe there was actually a lapse in security? Did you witness the entire incident?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rushfan wrote: »
    Was he actually carrying anything that he allegedly used to get through the door? Do you believe there was actually a lapse in security? Did you witness the entire incident?

Someone managing to open a maglocked door is not a lapse in security as such; and can, and does, happen elsewhere with quite some frequency. People seem to think they're properly secure when they simply aren't.

Most Vanderbilt/ACT units can be disabled entirely with a snake-eyes and a flathead screwdriver in seconds as the maglock opens on loss of power through the keypad or reader. Being Irish, ACT units are close to the only type I've ever seen installed here.

95% of airport security is security theatre, that has to be remembered.

L1011 wrote:
    Someone managing to open a maglocked door is not a lapse in security as such; and can, and does, happen elsewhere with quite some frequency. People seem to think they're properly secure when they simply aren't.

And what about my first & last questions?

And what about my first & last questions?

I don't know, and no.

Its not relevant - the questions of "what if it had been a terrorist!?!" are hysteria and nothing more irrespective of how the door is opened. The simple fact is there are user-operable fire exits to the apron in every airport terminal in the world. These are from the airside online, after the standard security which is deemed to be OK to let you walk across the apron to an aircraft.

The chances of someone doing a runner when on the apron legitimately, walking to an airstairs, is far higher than them using an exit and just as potentially risky.

L1011 wrote:

So if it's not relevant why mention a possible lapse in security in this instance?

So if it's not relevant why mention a possible lapse in security in this instance?

Because someone else implied there was one and did the hysterical 'terrorist' angle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Having just seen the pics in the Sindo can we just put him down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Because someone else implied there was one and did the hysterical 'terrorist' angle.

Re the terrorist angle, it is worth pointing out that he was apprehended pretty sharply; and by the ground crew too. And for those who think that unless you've got an armed SWAT team on every corner if you're ever to stop a terrorist, I remind you of the Glasgow terrorist attack and its run in with the local baggage handlers (I believe one of the injuries sustained in that attack was a broken leg after repeatedly kicking the s***e out of one of the terrorists).

As you say, most airport security is theater. And in this case, when the bloke breached the locked door he was on the ground not very far from the terminal building. And even had he got out and free, having come through airport security he wasn't in possession of anything to pose much of a threat.

Kudos to the ground staff.

I have reread all posts up to this one. Who exactly "implied " about a lapse in security? What post no? The first post that I can see mentioning same is no 61, yours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I have reread all posts up to this one. Who exactly "implied " about a lapse in security? What post no? The first post that I can see mentioning same is no 61, yours!!

Post #58

On another note, he doesn't work and needs free legal aid but can afford to go to Amsterdam, must do some cash in hand work;)

FixitFelix wrote:
    Post #58

Doesn't actually say "lapse in security "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

A 100% thug.

Doesn't actually say "lapse in security "

Cut out the pedantry. And improve your reading comprehension, as the word lapse was used to refer to what would have had to happen at the security gates for anyone to be carrying anything of danger; not to do with the doors.

L1011 wrote:
    Cut out the pedantry. And improve your reading comprehension, as the word lapse was used to refer to what would have had to happen at the security gates for anyone to be carrying anything of danger; not to do with the doors.

Nothing to do with pedantry & believe me there's nothing wrong with my ability to comprehend what I read. Again, YOU were the first to use the phrase "lapse in security ", no one else. I've come across many of your posts over time & have no issue with them. But this was wrong and frankly I'd be expecting more from a moderator.

Nothing to do with pedantry & believe me there's nothing wrong with my ability to comprehend what I read. Again, YOU were the first to use the phrase "lapse in security ", no one else. I've come across many of your posts over time & have no issue with them. But this was wrong and frankly I'd be expecting more from a moderator.

And at no time did I suggest there was a lapse in security. There wasn't at any stage. We had the hysterical post that needed countering

Why are you arguing here? You're contributing nothing of use. Either you're arguing for the sake of it or you are still having problems actually comprehending what was written

Your words, not mine. Seriously, should you not withdraw the remark?

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote:

Your words again.

Your words, not mine. Seriously, should you not withdraw the remark?

No, because you have grossly misunderstood it and are still digging. There is nothing to withdraw other than your personal miscomprehension.

Either re-read and understand or stop posting about it. This is a mod instruction

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Having just seen the pics in the Sindo can we just put him down

sunday independent?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,880 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OK for those who know the set up, I am curious as to how he got as far as the doors onto the tarmac/apron..

Surely if the flight is closed you do not get beyond the ticket scan/passport check. Flight closed go home bye.

Can anyone clarify how he got to the outside door if he had missed his flight?

Maybe he just ran through and down the stairs. Mad altogether. But thankfully no harm done to none but himself and the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Simple answer this is how he got through the door

• Registered Users Posts: 15,880 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

andy_g wrote: »
    Simple answer this is how he got through the door

Yep, but how did he get through the boarding gate upstairs if flight was closed?

That’s probably where the weakest link is really, assuming the door release pic you kindly posted is downstairs access to the apron!

I just wondered how he got downstairs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Wrex wrote: »
    How he thought this action would allow him to board is beyond me!

When he booked the flight, he most probably added on priority boarding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Yep, but how did he get through the boarding gate upstairs if flight was closed?

That’s probably where the weakest link is really, assuming the door release pic you kindly posted is downstairs access to the apron!

I just wondered how he got downstairs tbh.

There’s an emergency door release on the doors upstairs and downstairs but he didn’t push the emergency release button, he kicked the door hard enough for it to lose it’s magnetic hold, then ran down the stairs and forced the bottom one open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No need for Amsterdam to thank us, it's all in a days work. Extreme vetting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

billie1b wrote: »
    There’s an emergency door release on the doors upstairs and downstairs but he didn’t push the emergency release button, he kicked the door hard enough for it to lose it’s magnetic hold, then ran down the stairs and forced the bottom one open too.

billie1b wrote: »

but he didn’t push the emergency release button..........

So, this important door is not fit for purpose then ?

Advertisement