Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 5 worried robots will take their job

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

doolox wrote: »
    I have seen a lot of changes in my 60 years on the planet and this is one more change our society will have to adapt to.

There are far more carer and childminding roles in existence than in former times.

People are having fewer children in Ireland and Europe than they used to. Hence the need for fewer jobs.

My buddy with a chemistry degree and decades of experience has retrained as an old folks home worker. Less money but great job security, easier hours and way less stress. He loves it.

As a man, he is seriously in the minority, and a lot of his job is spent talking to other male residents about hurling, the "good old days" and general mans stuff etc. They are delighted with him and not embarrassed about being washed by a woman, being raised in different times. Best part is he isn't replaceable by a robot in his lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

A universal, basic income will be inevitable eventually.

Seems to be the only solution, people go on about how there will be new jobs created - sure there will, but can't imagine many (any) of these will be low skilled.

We can't all be programmers !!

While this could well be the far future I cab see plenty of expansion in government funded jobs that could help society.

We could use more teachers, doctors, nurses, social workers, child minders etc. This is in addition to the coding jobs you mentioned.

Someone mentioned that doctors could lose jobs. I doubt it will be fully automated soon and we are understaffed as is.

I have no issue with basic income but would love these areas first.

Decreased working hours would also be good and increase productivity/hour.

Of course this relies on us not simply giving the extra cash generated from this increased productivity straight to the 1% like we have so far as technology has expanded which is the main blocker to both ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

fryup wrote: »
    its not fake...have any of you seen inside the factory on the bbc....you can see how automation has decimated the labour force in the name of efficiency ...and even in warehouses they have driverless robotic forklifts that are operated in a control room by just one guy..its scary the ways things are going

But sure won't there be loads of jobs in designing, programming, building and maintaining and servicing all these robots?
    Jobs that are a lot more interesting and better paid than some menial minimum wage assembly job on a production line.

At the end of the day they are just pieces of machinery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Seems to be the only solution, people go on about how there will be new jobs created - sure there will, but can't imagine many (any) of these will be low skilled.

We can't all be programmers !!

It's not all about programmers, tbh. There is far more to it that just programming. Programming is just the side of it that has the bulk of the innovation at the moment.

Robots are, at the end of the day, pieces of machinery and subject to wear and tear like any other machine. Bearings will wear out and go, hydraulic hoses and air lines will leak or burst, worn out tooling or attachments will need to be replaced, etc etc. It's not as if they will work in within a human vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If one looks at projects already in commercial use like IBM's Watson and it's integration with Salesforce, it is already making huge inroads into what were traditionally "safe from automation" roles such as insurance adjusting and claims handling.

Watson is amazing in the scope of work it can undertake. I am aware of projects where it is even been trialled for medical, legal and design intervention and iteration.
    Likely there are even more advanced AI's that are going to come to market over the next few years, couple that with the low cost of automation hardware and even jobs that were traditionally too cheap to automate, will be automated.
    And the usual preserve of the highly educated, medicine, law, and many other fields will come to be dominated by consistent AI iterations.

A very quick example is Customer service roles are another role previously seen as relatively safe.
    The move to push customers online initially allowed a single agent to handle multiple queries at the same cost per desk.
    Now however the push is to use automated AI chatbots to handle all contacts with a human supervising and intervening where needed.
    We are moving from a society where interaction with a person is the norm, to it becoming a novelty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Pour water on the coonts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

professore wrote: »
    Our jobs are all safe. No robot could spew sh1te all day on boards as well as we do!

Not specifically Boards, but I'm pretty sure that 90% of flag waving Brexit, pro-Trump and Putin verbal masturbation comments on social media are already posted by bots.
    It will come to the point where comments from the public won't be allowed anywhere, or only allowed from a small handful of vetted contributors, as any public comment section will immediately be flooded with thousands of automated comments pushing an agenda.
    Brexit and Trump's election are the beginning, it will only get far worse in the future.
    If you want to make your view heard you will have to hire a troll team to flood any comment section, because anything else will just sink without a trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

5 of 5 dole scoungers not worried about robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I've spent over 20 years working with robots and I spent as much time fixing and working on them as they have doing their job, so more robots means more work and paychecks for me.
    Good news as far as i'm concerned. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

But sure won't there be loads of jobs in designing, programming, building and maintaining and servicing all these robots?
    Jobs that are a lot more interesting and better paid than some menial minimum wage assembly job on a production line.

Until the robots learn to design, build, programme and maintain the robots and they will. The rate of advancement is inversely proportional to the amount of people upskilling. Governments need to be on the ball here or else looking at big dividend payouts for shareholders and mass unemployment. A friend is the principle strategist at a huge global organisation and she is of the same opinion. People will lose out to automation.

Im not just talking about warehouse robots by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Pkiernan wrote: »
    5 of 5 dole scoungers not worried about robots.

As a not on the dole person I don't like the word scrounger even if people choose to be on it for the whole of their lives. There must be some suffering behind certain choices and how could one lambast a fellow human in their suffering. At the very least there are the endless days trying to drum up interesting things to do. And anyway from the moment we are all born till death we are all dependent on support networks created and run by our fellow beings, even if we are a billionaire we depend on the rubbish collector and the toilet cleaner. Roads, water, clean air, vegetables, healing, respect, attention, every part of all our lives we depend on others almost helplessly so we are all scroungers in this sense. A wise old friend used to say to me Fait ta Vie, which implies make your life and don't be looking at the lives of others to judge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Malayalam wrote: »
    As a not on the dole person I don't like the word scrounger even if people choose to be on it for the whole of their lives. There must be some suffering behind certain choices and how could one lambast a fellow human in their suffering. At the very least there are the endless days trying to drum up interesting things to do. And anyway from the moment we are all born till death we are all dependent on support networks created and run by our fellow beings, even if we are a billionaire we depend on the rubbish collector and the toilet cleaner. Roads, water, clean air, vegetables, healing, respect, attention, every part of all our lives we depend on others almost helplessly so we are all scroungers in this sense. A wise old friend used to say to me Fait ta Vie, which implies make your life and don't be looking at the lives of others to judge them.

Sounds suspiciously like the words of a robot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Sounds suspiciously like the words of a robot....

tumblr_oucx98dIVm1ue779no1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

More nonsense.

There is a Labour shortage in Ireland right now.

Fake news scare mongering tin foil nonsense.

Labour shortage because the skill set to fill those jobs isn’t there?

what is causing the labour shortage?

2 our of 5 robots are worried about being taxed to the hilt to pay for the universal basic income for all those pesky meatbag humans

Until robots start designing, programming, building and maintaining other robots. Then we’re fukt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

To be honest, I'll take being fukt by a robot at this stage.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

A robot will never get rock and roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

That means 3 out of 5 worried robots will not take their job?

I have no time for these worried robots -- snowflakes every one of them.

:D:D I did read it that way at first too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Who knows what the world will be like in 30 years.

30 years ago there was no internet really, now look at it and the jobs that has come with it.

In 30 years we could have things we can’t imagine now that will need manual Labour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

8 out 10 robots prefer whiskas cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

More nonsense.

There is a Labour shortage in Ireland right now.

Fake news scare mongering tin foil nonsense.

yeah, i heard this too. big demand for graduates in the IT sector. you will walk into a role at 30k on your first day out of college etc.

load of BS in my experience. spent the entire summer job hunting, even a level 1 helpdesk position, the lowest entry level you can get, requires 2 plus years of experience. employers seem to expect far too much imho.

I went for an interview recently where the interviewer pretty much said your too old and no experience. we don't want you. am 47 ffs. the salary was 21k. i was earning that ten years ago in a manual job with no degree.

things have gone from "am not working that job in mc donalds its beneath me" to "we are not hiring someone with no experience on lower pay, we want the best in the field, but still on lower pay"

soups05 wrote: »
    yeah, i heard this too. big demand for graduates in the IT sector. you will walk into a role at 30k on your first day out of college etc.

load of BS in my experience. spent the entire summer job hunting, even a level 1 helpdesk position, the lowest entry level you can get, requires 2 plus years of experience. employers seem to expect far too much imho.

I went for an interview recently where the interviewer pretty much said your too old and no experience. we don't want you. am 47 ffs. the salary was 21k. i was earning that ten years ago in a manual job with no degree.

things have gone from "am not working that job in mc donalds its beneath me" to "we are not hiring someone with no experience on lower pay, we want the best in the field, but still on lower pay"

Explain the 600,000 foreign workers in the service industry alone so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

try getting a job in the service industry lol, they only want foreign workers who will work harder for less pay and poorer conditions. irish don't get a look in.

but i am referring to a certain sector, IT, not the entire jobs market. there is a huge amount of jobs out there so it looks like a shortage of workers, but in fact it's employers wanting far too much from the people they are hiring.

We got told once in college about a man who developed a software package. when he released it he took 6 months off to relax, then he seen a job posting with his software mentioned. at the interview they told him he would need 3-5 years experience with that package, he explained that it was only out 6 months.

but we need you to have 3 years minimum replies the HR rep.

it may not be a true story, i have no idea, but it does show the stupid mindset of employers. no one wants a new grad, they don't want entry level personnel. they want the guy who should be on 50k to work for them for 21k. that is why there is a labour shortage, the jobs are thee but employers want too much.

( bear in mind am incredibly bitter, frustrated and depressed at my inability to find a job so my views may be slightly distorted on this :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Two out of the five worried robots wouldn't be able for my job, it'll need all five of them.

soups05 wrote: »
    try getting a job in the service industry lol, they only want foreign workers who will work harder for less pay and poorer conditions. irish don't get a look in.

but i am referring to a certain sector, IT, not the entire jobs market. there is a huge amount of jobs out there so it looks like a shortage of workers, but in fact it's employers wanting far too much from the people they are hiring.

We got told once in college about a man who developed a software package. when he released it he took 6 months off to relax, then he seen a job posting with his software mentioned. at the interview they told him he would need 3-5 years experience with that package, he explained that it was only out 6 months.

but we need you to have 3 years minimum replies the HR rep.

it may not be a true story, i have no idea, but it does show the stupid mindset of employers. no one wants a new grad, they don't want entry level personnel. they want the guy who should be on 50k to work for them for 21k. that is why there is a labour shortage, the jobs are thee but employers want too much.

( bear in mind am incredibly bitter, frustrated and depressed at my inability to find a job so my views may be slightly distorted on this :( )

So there is a Labour shortage as the Irish won’t do those jobs??

Ah fair play keep trying and the head up and I’m sure something will come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

My dad talked once about how years ago so many people would work in factories. Easy enough job to get. What happened? Automated Production factory lines came in.

Fast-forward to now and you see self service tills doing the work of what? a dozen people but just manned by one?

You see machines, even vending machines making pizzas and burgers on YouTube. The new tech of tomorrow.

Only my two cents but you'll have the whole retail industry turned on its head. You'll have a crew of workers just come in for a few hours and restock things then off to another store. Gone would be core staff for a individual store.

Call centre core jobs will be replaced by automated voice systems. They're a pain now but give it twenty years. Look at what alexa etc can do. Give that a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

a chimp with a cattle prod could do my job

Don't be silly. They'd never hire a chimp to do your job

They'd have to pay him too much in comparison to what they are paying now

P.S. boards.ie and cloudfare ****, I'm not a robot. How many times do I have to tell you what pictures have cars in them. Figure it out yourselves yiz cunts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And how will this fit in with pension problems? I thought we needed more people working in the future to pay for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

And how will this fit in with pension problems? I thought we needed more people working in the future to pay for us

T1000 doesn't need pensions.

Did you not see the film? John Connors will "take care of him" when the time comes.

He'll just start twittering on about racist terminators

Advertisement