Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 5 worried robots will take their job

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

A universal, basic income will be inevitable eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a chimp with a cattle prod could do my job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Take whose job?

The upside though - 3 out of 5 robots feel secure in their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

They are more than welcome to take my job!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

That means 3 out of 5 worried robots will not take their job?

I have no time for these worried robots -- snowflakes every one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Well one has already taken my place in the bedroom for years so why not my work too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I probably get along better with robots than some of the clowns i have to deal with now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

''That''. Such a useful word. Multi-tasking between pronoun, determiner, adverb, can be adapted to clauses with little effort. Quiet, unobtrusive, minimalist, highly functional, impersonal. Bit like those worried robots that are going to take our jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Great. Hopefully I can replace my useless butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

inforfun wrote: »
    I probably get along better with robots than some of the clowns i have to deal with now.

3 out of 5 ringmasters say the same thing about their circus.
    Probably due to their role being in tents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

a chimp with a cattle prod could do my job

1 Chimp ?? Through some expensive R&D and several years of testing prototypes, we've managed to get my job down to 2 robotic chimps. One is overseeing the other though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Lots of trades have become obsolete before. Jobs evolve as does society. Its how we react to the changes that's important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

In the last few decades, increased productivity from technological advances has had no significant effect on salaries - all the benefit has gone to corporations themselves. Without any other factors incolved, it might be naiive to expect benefits to affect the 99% at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Code monkey here, you're all ****ed. I'm grand, halting problem has me sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm an unstoppable time-traveller assassin sent back in time to kill the parents of people before they're born. I've no fear about losing my job to a robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

I'm an unstoppable time-traveller assassin sent back in time to kill the parents of people before they're born. I've no fear about losing my job to a robot.
    Indeed. All the time travelling robot assassin prototypes I have seen have turner out to be completely stoppable so you have a big edge there.

Yeah jobs will change. As ever. It is important to ensure we have people trained up for jobs of the future. I am sure we will invent new stuff for people to do that is not a thing now based on historical evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We will all end up looking like we are in the Wall-E movie .
    No jobs and everything done for us by robots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

More nonsense.

There is a Labour shortage in Ireland right now.

Fake news scare mongering tin foil nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its not fake...have any of you seen inside the factory on the bbc....you can see how automation has decimated the labour force in the name of efficiency ...and even in warehouses they have driverless robotic forklifts that are operated in a control room by just one guy..its scary the ways things are going

More nonsense.

There is a Labour shortage in Ireland right now.

And that's the way it will remain forever, with no changes whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Wheety wrote: »
    Great. Hopefully I can replace my useless butler.

Introducing... "I can't believe it's not a butler.... Mk2". Out in 2022

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Is there a cure for this robot anxiety? WD40?

Try_harder wrote: »
    Is there a cure for this robot anxiety? WD40?

I just tell Alexa all my problems. She says it's going to be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I have seen a lot of changes in my 60 years on the planet and this is one more change our society will have to adapt to.

There are far more carer and childminding roles in existence than in former times.

People are having fewer children in Ireland and Europe than they used to. Hence the need for fewer jobs.

More leisure time and more money means that entertainment and sport are more commercial than they used to be and have become big industries in their own right.

Jobs connected with pets are much more lucrative than they used to be. A person with the right skills and housing can now make a good living minding dogs for a living, unthinkable 20 yrs ago. There are now several pet food and pet housing chain stores opening in Ireland, also would not happen 20 yrs ago.

Sectors such as special needs education, psychological counselling and career guidance are very short staffed and these will increase when people and governments start funding them properly rather than see the bad outcomes of inaction in these areas of human existence.

The big problem is attempting to harmonise taxation and financial practice across the globe so that large corporate interests do not hog all the money for themselves and leave the poor to fend for themselves. The gains from any innovations will eventually have to be spread around to every person on the planet to avoid war and violence at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,288 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why are the robots worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

A universal, basic income will be inevitable eventually.

Seems to be the only solution, people go on about how there will be new jobs created - sure there will, but can't imagine many (any) of these will be low skilled.

We can't all be programmers !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seems to be the only solution, people go on about how there will be new jobs created - sure there will, but can't imagine many (any) of these will be low skilled.
    Thats the thing with this revolution. It may hit some skilled jobs more. Take a hospital. AI can replace doctors far easier than it can replace nurses. There is already software systems being developed and tested that are better at diagnosis and treatment plans than humans. Robots could do surgery to degrees impossible for the human hand and eyeball. Look at the trading floor in Wall Street. It's now pretty much a TV studio for financial news reporting. The hordes of people jostling are gone, replaced by computer systems. In the US fewer and fewer trainee lawyers are needed as again the computer systems have taken over much of the drudge work they did. Automated trucks, trains etc will decimate the transport industry jobs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We can't all be programmers !!

I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of a society that works by choice rather than necessity tbh. It just sounds like a natural progression to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I’m not worried, bring it on you fúcking robot bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Our jobs are all safe. No robot could spew sh1te all day on boards as well as we do!

Advertisement