Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 5 worried robots will take their job

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

If robots are going to make all the stuff who's going to buy it , robots don't buy sh#t and everyone else will be unemployed so they won't have any money to buy crape made by robots , how does this new robot world work sounds like tomorrows world saying what life would e like in 1999 but it was boll#x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

fxotoole wrote:
    Until robots start designing, programming, building and maintaining other robots. Then we’re fukt.

I'd like to see a robot try to heat and beat a mangled up bearing race out of the housing of a big industrial robot. Or extract the remains of a motor rotor that has flashed over and half welded itself into its enclosure. Or any other amount of tricky unpleasant tasks that i doubt it world be feasible to program a robot to do. Not impossible perhaps, but it would probably be cheaper and faster to have a human to do it than program a robot to carry out a relatively infrequent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

doolox wrote: »
    I have seen a lot of changes in my 60 years on the planet and this is one more change our society will have to adapt to.

The assumption is that society will adapt, as opposed to collapse, that is also an alternative.

Will the concept of 'society' even exist to adapt in the future? It seems that we are dismantling the very notion of society at the moment in favour of a very narcisistic and agressive form of individualism.
    There are far more carer and childminding roles in existence than in former times.

People are having fewer children in Ireland and Europe than they used to. Hence the need for fewer jobs.

Our population is growing not shrinking, primarilly through imigration, so your assertion that fewer jobs will be needed in the future is incorrect.

Childmining is a poorly paid career, it's a booming sector however as we abandon the concept of family as the central unit of society and instead replace that focus with that of the individual worker/consumer. We must all work more, and for longer, just to stay in the treadmill, even if it means outsourcing raising our children to a new low paid workforce. The industrialisation of childcare is not what it's call progress.
    More leisure time and more money means that entertainment and sport are more commercial than they used to be and have become big industries in their own right.

The forms of entertainment may have changed but entertainment has always been a big industry in it's own right. I question how much more leasure time people have aquired over the last 20yrs or so. Peoples quality time seems less to me today then it did 20yrs ago, their hours longer, commutes longer and quality of time we do get to spend with friends and family seems less.
    Jobs connected with pets are much more lucrative than they used to be. A person with the right skills and housing can now make a good living minding dogs for a living, unthinkable 20 yrs ago. There are now several pet food and pet housing chain stores opening in Ireland, also would not happen 20 yrs ago.

Again, dog walker is not exactly as lucrative a career as you think, and I generally laugh at the rather fuzzy idea that we can live in a post industrial society making lattes for each other while walking peoples dogs or looking after their children. Sure, people are replacing children with dogs at an alarming rate. Perhaps I need to get into the ground floor of the 'pet wedding industry' asap before the party ends and we end up eating them instead....
    Sectors such as special needs education, psychological counselling and career guidance are very short staffed and these will increase when people and governments start funding them properly rather than see the bad outcomes of inaction in these areas of human existence.

Yes, another sign of a healthy and adaptable society is an exponentially growing mental health crisis....
    The big problem is attempting to harmonise taxation and financial practice across the globe so that large corporate interests do not hog all the money for themselves and leave the poor to fend for themselves. The gains from any innovations will eventually have to be spread around to every person on the planet to avoid war and violence at the very least.

I really can't see that happening. Which is the more common human trait? Peace and harmony or war and violence? Which is more likely, a Stratrek federation like utopia or a Bladerunner corporatocracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Don't be silly. They'd never hire a chimp to do your job

They'd have to pay him too much in comparison to what they are paying now

P.S. boards.ie and cloudfare ****, I'm not a robot. How many times do I have to tell you what pictures have cars in them. Figure it out yourselves yiz cunts

A monkey could do better job being President than you would, in fairness. Stones and glasshouses and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

"Worried robots"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's only a matter of time before robots take over most unskilled jobs, then those with proper skills can be trained to do something else while those like myself who only have makey up skills face a much tougher task of getting a different job. The net result will be the gap between rich and poor growing again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

I work in the public sector so if the robots do become self aware and decide to enslave us, they'll have to get past the unions first.

when you put it like that I'd say we be grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,098 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Everytime I read the thread name I see wrinkled foreheads on worried robots

Advertisement