Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economic growth doubles to 9%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I have a job so something must be wrong with the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d love to see a map showing the geographic distribution of the growth.

I’d say it’s desperately condenced in a small number of areas.

I'm sure appropriate scrutiny will be order of day and not collective heads in the sand. Except that injun reservation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Elessar wrote: »
    The ESRI has just doubled its forecast for Irish economic growth to nearly 9% for 2018 from its previous estimate.

We're once again the fastest growing economy in Europe. Don't get me wrong this is good news, but this level of growth is completely unsustainable. I feel completely uneasy about this. I fear the boom and bust cycle is still in full swing, and we're currently in boom.

Is anyone seeing a pattern here? Should alarm bells be going off!?

One year, or two, is neither a trend nor a pattern. They are forecasting 5% for next year, with a caveat that Brexit may impact on that. Plus, rate of growth is skewed when recovering from a period of austerity. I wouldn't panic just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,318 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's not all real. Growth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

XflLRoa.jpg?fb

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 81,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What part of hard brexit do they not understand, seriously, it will be carnage next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Why are the Multinationals importing less, has it something to do with changes in corporate taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,318 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why are the Multinationals importing less, has it something to do with changes in corporate taxation.

Who said they are importing less?

Is it not more, but at a lower rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Economic growth is set to double so who cares about the house prices, rents and the homeless?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Of course there will be another bust and recession, that’s how these things work.

But the key this time is not to spunk too much money on houses etc.

But that’s all we’re hearing now is spend spend spend on houses, people have very short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The ESRI has just doubled its forecast for Irish economic growth to nearly 9% for 2018 from its previous estimate.

We're once again the fastest growing economy in Europe. Don't get me wrong this is good news, but this level of growth is completely unsustainable. I feel completely uneasy about this. I fear the boom and bust cycle is still in full swing, and we're currently in boom.

Just vote Leo and Co. out in the next election and let Fianna Fail destroy the place again. Can't fight the inevitable.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just vote Leo and Co. out in the next election and let Fianna Fail destroy the place again. Can't fight the inevitable.

No need

FG are doing great job of that too

_Brian wrote: »
    I’d love to see a map showing the geographic distribution of the growth.

I’d say it’s desperately condenced in a small number of areas.

Like the people?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What part of hard brexit do they not understand, seriously, it will be carnage next year.

Maybe you should actually read the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Willie O'Dea will be frothing at the moustache.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I feel completely uneasy about this. I fear the boom and bust cycle is still in full swing, and we're currently in boom.

IMHO. Yes. Take personal credit. We're not as bad as we were in the "boom"? Maybe not with mortgages but personal debt has been steadily creeping up in the last five years. Home improvement loans, car financing, credit cards and so forth. Drive down any suburban road in Dublin for example and see the McMansion makeovers in play. Globally as a whole personal debt is now higher than it was in 2007(IIRC 20% higher). America usually kicks these things off and the boom/bust thing(to varying degrees of severity) in the States usually runs on a six year cycle and they're overdue a few years. Mortgages are nearly on a par with the levels of the sub prime fiasco and overall personal debt is higher than it was in 07. Car financing is higher. They've also got to deal with student loan debt which is over a third higher than in 07. That's before we look at Trump's trade tariffs and the like. Here in Ireland we're also looking down the barrel of a messy Brexit as the sugar coating on top. As well as unsustainable rent prices and so on. One advantage we have here in Ireland is that we did get a kick in the nut sack after the Celtic tiger went wallop and that might stand to us. Though as we've seen memories are short and we're so dependent on US and UK money and both aren't nearly as sure as they once were.

I have generally found that when talking heads are telling us we've never had it so good, it's a near certainty that we're likely to shortly start losing our shirts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A hard Brexit will hit us by maybe 7%. A years growth lost.

In the UK they are looking at lot less than 9% growth.
    2.5% for this year and next year. Combined.

And that's not the no-deal case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The idea might be to save during the good times to help cope with the bad times? That's no fun, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's all in Dublin and the Pale. Feck all sign of 9% pa in Waterford or most parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,799 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Don't get me wrong but why are you saying it is good news and then it is bad news?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Economic growth is set to double so who cares about the house prices, rents and the homeless?

What alternative economic theory would you suggest we pursue? Back of a fag packet sort of stuff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I would be sceptial. The period 2013 to 2017 was a recovery period from the recession but the boom/bust cycle is very much still in play and IMO the economy is overheating and the govt seem to be fuelling the fire with pro-cyclical fiscal policies.

Memories are very short and we never seem to learn.

The growth is restricted to major urban areas, particularly Dublin which is the engine of growth and is becoming a city state effectively decoupled to a large degree from the rest of the country.

Rural Ireland beyond the urban commuter belts has slipped into a prolonged and possibly irreversible decline.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I would be sceptial. The period 2013 to 2017 was a recovery period from the recession but the boom/bust cycle is very much still in play and IMO the economy is overheating and the govt seem to be fuelling the fire with pro-cyclical fiscal policies.

Memories are very short and we never seem to learn.

The growth is restricted to major urban areas, particularly Dublin which is the engine of growth and is becoming a city state effectively decoupled to a large degree from the rest of the country.

Rural Ireland beyond the urban commuter belts has slipped into a prolonged and possibly irreversible decline.

I see things going tits up in around 2020/21. Time will tell. When will Leo tell those who are cautious to go kill themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

One year, or two, is neither a trend nor a pattern. They are forecasting 5% for next year, with a caveat that Brexit may impact on that. Plus, rate of growth is skewed when recovering from a period of austerity. I wouldn't panic just yet.

Their forecasting appears to be the equivalent of sticking your head out the window to declare the weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Nine per cent growth is massive, obviously not sustainable. No doubt we are a great example of a boom/bust economy. Dunno how much can be done about it when it is so open.

As an aside given how dominant Dublin is, the government need to put in place some incentives to encourage people to work from home. Most office jobs can be done remotely most days of the week. If the Gov can encourage companies to promote this it would go a long way to taking the sting out of Dublin property and congestion as well as finally tackling urban/rural imbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

damned if I do damned if I don't.

buy a house now at the "top" of the market and go into negative equity or continue to pay rents spiralling ever farther out of reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

damned if I do damned if I don't.

buy a house now at the "top" of the market and go into negative equity or continue to pay rents spiralling ever farther out of reach.

Definitely the second option. Its not even a contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Definitely the second option. Its not even a contest.
    i can't wait forever unfortunately, life circumstances are making these choices for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement