Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap communion day in favour of receiving first communion at any Mass

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Berserker wrote: »
    What if the parents decide to send their children to a faith specific private school?

If we stop funding private schools through taxes then those schools can do what they want.

As a non-RC who had to do that, I can tell you that it's not an issue.

Wasn't an issue for you. Others have different experiences.
    I found it very educational, as did the other non-RC members of my class.

Yes I'm sure you found the fifth or sixth class mass to be just as 'educational' as the first. Some places do a few of these per year and attendance is not optional. And there you are again speaking for other people.

What about the endless communion / confirmation preparations and rehearsals?

Stop trying to use non-RCs as a weapon in your campaign against the RCC, please.

I'll post as I wish within the rules, thanks. BTW I'm a non-catholic too and my unbaptised kids are opted out of religion in school, luckily their school accommodates this reasonably well. But many do not, or even try to deny entirely the constitutional right of parents to opt out of religion.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

The person who started the campaign was exactly how I pictured she’d be. Zero class. She was looking for a ‘day out’. I felt sorry for the daughter..being marched out on front of the cameras for mammy’s benefit and noteriety. Be more in mammy’s line to look after her daughter than to be using her to push another agenda. Urgh. Vile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

iguana wrote: »
    I can't tell if you are being serious or taking the piss. Those two points are diametrically opposed. The priest wants to make the whole sacrament of communion more devout and bring it back to a focus on the sacrament. The people don't want that. The princess dresses, new outfits, party and fancy dinner have absolutely feck all to do with being devout. This just goes to show how very, very little the actual religion means to these families. It's just all about the party.

The Rape of Lucretia = T.R.O.L

The clue is in his name as so your better off ignoring anything he posts on any forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A boards employee, currently stirring it up promoting Irexit, Ireland rejoining the UK, and massively increasing alcohol prices with the ultimate goal of banning it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I think the children and the parents deserve a first holy communion.

In modern times they should be glad for people who want to do it at all. I'm sure the parents who want to do it will have no problem raising the funding for it considering they're so upset over it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

LirW wrote: »
    Ah communion time is great, my son (no faith) is in 2nd class now and communion is on the horizon and he is absolutely delighted. He gets to take his own books to read to school while the others prepare for communion, he always mentions on the way home how he doesn't have to go to mass and in general he's happy that he's spending quite a bit of time this year doing sweet f all while his class is busy with communion things.
    Now of course I'd like if it wouldn't happen in school time and he'd be doing something useful. But I can't change it.
    He gets a trip to the zoo though from me and also gets to use the neighbours bouncy castle.

Genuine question. Whats the deal with bouncy castles and communion? They always seem to be inextricably linked in recent years for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Interesting idea. Scrap big Communion ceremonies and let kids make their first communion at an ordinary Mass.

Personally I think it’s a great idea.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/we-cant-let-tradition-become-extinct-parents-anger-at-decision-to-scrap-first-holy-communion-date-for-any-mass-day-37352377.html

I'll bet you made your communion, made a few bob and had a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Genuine question. Whats the deal with bouncy castles and communion? They always seem to be inextricably linked in recent years for some reason.

Keeps the kids entertained while you sink bottles of Bud.

Then you can go on it later when the kids are in bed.

Advertisement