Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap communion day in favour of receiving first communion at any Mass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Fair point. What age do kids tend to make their communions again? I'm sure I can come up with a similar seshcuse (that's a sesh excuse) if given the correct parameters :D

near the end of first class, so at 7 years old. Unless it's been changed from when I was a kid.

Grayson wrote: »
    near the end of first class, so at 7 years old. Unless it's been changed from when I was a kid.

It’s second class now, so 8 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Has been second class for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

lawred2 wrote: »
    Most people want to have the party but do nothing else

Thats a result of many centuries of church influence. Chritianity determined all feast days, holidays, and celebrations. Adapti g or transforming earlier ones if it suited, and erasing ones it wasnt interested in.

So they started it.

They cant complain now if people dont want to lose what they have been brought up to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It should be on a school day, and the kids should make it in their school uniform.

You know what should happen on school days?

School.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Despite some of the comment during the Pope's visit, it shows how Ireland is still a very strongly devout catholic country, and is committed to maintaining it that way.
    Woe any priest trying to 'modernise' from the conservative catholicism tradition.

I actually think the opposite.

The Pope's visit and its attendance numbers shows that Ireland is less catholic than it was. This is also evidenced in recent referendums on same sex marriage and abortion.

The call by people to maintain the old fashioned way of doing communion shows that people are less catholic. I think very few kids make communion for actual religious reasons.

It’s due to the grip that the church still has on schools and also how Ireland is still culturally conditioned to use the church for occasions.

I’d guess that those calling for the traditional communion don’t want to lose the “big day out” idea, daughter in mini wedding dress, new guna for Mammy and all paid for by the kids collecting €50 off relatives.

It’s nothing to do with being catholic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Who shrunk Stephen Donnelly

Dark!

A-la carte whinging about missing the fun secular part of a sacramental day.
    Remove all prep for that **** from school-time when they could be learning science, maths, english etc.
    ****ty parents pushing princess values onto their children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    Nothing stopping someone doing all that jazz. It just shouldn't be up to the schools the prep the kids, so it yourselves and enjoy your day.

Religion of any description should have no place in a childrens school.

Just so long as we treat Jewish, Muslim and all other religions in the same fashion.

Good luck with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just so long as we treat Jewish, Muslim and all other religions in the same fashion.

Good luck with that.

I don't think half the school year is taken up for prepping for either of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It should be on a school day, and the kids should make it in their school uniform.

The preparation and the ceremony should have nothing to do with the school at all. Let the lazy parents drag their kids up to Sunday school for months on end if they want their "religious" big day out.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck with that.

Jewish, Muslim, and other religions aren't the stumbling block in Ireland, are they?

If people want to send their kids to a private school where their kids will spend x hours a week preparing for Communion, Confirmation, Bar Mitzvah, their first audit... whatever. Fine with me, as long as the kids also cover the basic curriculum, and I'm not paying for it.

If people want to use the school building for communion preparation (or Bar Mitzvah preparation) outside school hours - also fine with me. They should have the same access as drama classes or sports clubs or dance classes etc.

State schools shouldn't be spending school hours preparing kids for a religious ceremony, whatever the religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

RayCun wrote: »
    Jewish, Muslim, and other religions aren't the stumbling block in Ireland, are they?

and I'm not paying for it.

State schools shouldn't be spending school hours preparing kids for a religious ceremony, whatever the religion.

http://islamicfoundation.ie/education/

2 muslim national schools are state-funded so you are paying for it for other religions too.

These should be abolished or funded privately. No way should the state be paying for the teaching of religious classes of any religion. All children should have access to a school regardless or their personal religion. Removing religious teaching from school equalises every child's access to education from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Ah communion time is great, my son (no faith) is in 2nd class now and communion is on the horizon and he is absolutely delighted. He gets to take his own books to read to school while the others prepare for communion, he always mentions on the way home how he doesn't have to go to mass and in general he's happy that he's spending quite a bit of time this year doing sweet f all while his class is busy with communion things.
    Now of course I'd like if it wouldn't happen in school time and he'd be doing something useful. But I can't change it.
    He gets a trip to the zoo though from me and also gets to use the neighbours bouncy castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's not quite half the school year, but it is a ridiculous amount. My daughter opted out of religion and spent a few hours a week last year drawing pictures to amuse herself while her classmates were being indoctrinated by a teacher on the payroll of the Dept of Education and the "special guest" local representative of an organisation with a disgusting history of child abuse and total disregard for child protection.

Those hours add up to days, if not weeks of her education that she'll never get back. And it's not like her classmates are all going to go on to become devout Catholics. The vast majority won't darken the doors of the local church again until their Confirmation unless there happens to be a Christening or a Wedding in the family.

Faith-based doctrine is the polar anti-thesis of the education we're paying our taxes to provide for our children.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hope he has a four long ceremony and ask the parents and children questions and if they get them wrong no communion.
    We'll give the kids a bit of lee way with their answer just to be fair.

bluewolf wrote: »

Do they have certain religious rituals that the kids have to prepare for?

Interesting idea. Scrap big Communion ceremonies and let kids make their first communion at an ordinary Mass.

Personally I think it’s a great idea.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/we-cant-let-tradition-become-extinct-parents-anger-at-decision-to-scrap-first-holy-communion-date-for-any-mass-day-37352377.html

Its like having a big wedding.

It's neither the fault of the church or the kids. Its the parents trying to outdo each other. It ends up being about them a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I think it's a great idea. The parents who just see the event as a social one and an excuse for a party will lose interest and stop making a farce of it. Those who are genuinely religious will prefer to see the occasion go back to being a simple religious one rather than the ostentatious, keeping up with the Joneses charade that goes on nowadays.

• Advertisement

The people I know who'd be religious would have no problem with the dress/party.
    It's just the people who'd have no time for church. They'd take a issue with. Even the a la carte Catholic are fine but the people who constantly post online about hating religion and still put their kids through it.
    Just to note I live in a rural area near a town. There's no pressure for school places and being baptised and a few people aren't and it's no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

The people I know who'd be religious would have no problem with the dress/party.
    It's just the people who'd have no time for church. They'd take a issue with. Even the a la carte Catholic are fine but the people who constantly post online about hating religion and still put their kids through it.
    Just to note I live in a rural area near a town. There's no pressure for school places and being baptised and a few people aren't and it's no issue.

True, I don't think religious people have a problem with the dress and party. But I imagine the hypocrisy of parents who have no time for the church but spend a fortune on dresses and parties and bouncy castles and fake tans, while talking, texting and photographing their way through the actual ceremony must be galling.

This way they'll be out of the equation and the people for whom the ceremony and religious aspect is important will have that placed at the centre of the occasion again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Despite some of the comment during the Pope's visit, it shows how Ireland is still a very strongly devout catholic country, and is committed to maintaining it that way.
    Woe any priest trying to 'modernise' from the conservative catholicism tradition.

I would posit, given the attendance at the ploughing championships vs the pope, that the "strongly devout" have more interest in Massey than mass. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Non-catholics having to sit through catholic indoctrination classes, prayers, class masses etc. etc. is an issue.

Life ain't always empty.

Non-catholics having to sit through catholic indoctrination classes, prayers, class masses etc. etc. is an issue.

At the moment now I know several local schools.(I don't know if it's nationwide)
    Religion is the last class of the day.
    You have the option for your kid to sit in the class and colour or read or a project, do something with another teacher or you can go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Just scrap all that superstitious mumbo jumbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Grayson wrote: »
    My niece started school in a national school last week and on the very first day she was taught how to bless herself.

Is this standard? Of all the things to teach them on the first day of school.

What if the parents decide to send their children to a faith specific private school? What if the majority of children in that school are of a particular faith, as happens in the RoI.

As a non-RC who had to do that, I can tell you that it's not an issue. I found it very educational, as did the other non-RC members of my class. Stop trying to use non-RCs as a weapon in your campaign against the RCC, please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Do they have certain religious rituals that the kids have to prepare for?

Bar&bat mitzvahs I suppose, bit like a confirmation. Don't know about muslim ones

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's not quite half the school year, but it is a ridiculous amount. My daughter opted out of religion and spent a few hours a week last year drawing pictures to amuse herself while her classmates were being indoctrinated by a teacher on the payroll of the Dept of Education .
    Actually, traditionally, teachers teach religion on their "lunch hour," which is why religion was taught from 12.-12.30 each day to allow those not taking part to go home for the hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have a look at the FB page of the woman claiming her child says God hates her in the Indo article.;);)

Advertisement