Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap communion day in favour of receiving first communion at any Mass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I wouldnt stand for that. Girls getting dressed up as princesses, mothers buying new outfits for the big day, and parents throwing a big party or fancy dinner out. You cant just take that away from people. Who does the church think it is to decide things like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

I wouldnt stand for that. Girls getting dressed up as princesses, mothers buying new outfits for the big day, and parents throwing a big party or fancy dinner out. You cant just take that away from people. Who does the church think it is to decide things like that?
    Nothing stopping someone doing all that jazz. It just shouldn't be up to the schools the prep the kids, so it yourselves and enjoy your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

All the mammies upset lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Interesting idea. Scrap big Communion ceremonies and let kids make their first communion at an ordinary Mass.

Personally I think it’s a great idea.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/we-cant-let-tradition-become-extinct-parents-anger-at-decision-to-scrap-first-holy-communion-date-for-any-mass-day-37352377.html

Brilliant idea. Entirely in keeping with both secular ideals and church teaching I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Children are free to take first communion at normal mass if they wish. I have fond memories of my first communion, it was a great day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It should be on a school day, and the kids should make it in their school uniform.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It should be on a school day, and the kids should make it in their school uniform.

Indeed. Save the parents from having to actually do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Despite some of the comment during the Pope's visit, it shows how Ireland is still a very strongly devout catholic country, and is committed to maintaining it that way.
    Woe any priest trying to 'modernise' from the conservative catholicism tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This happened in my town last year well something similar.
    It announced that all the schools in the area were going be be given their first communion at a regular Sunday mass in their parish church. The outrage it caused it was mad.
    Letters to the bishop, ringing the local radio station, letters to the local paper.
    The main reason for the out rage was.
    The hair saloons are closed on Sunday.(Local places agreed to open)
    Then they were hassle about bouncing castles/etc because some people had them booked without knowing the date.(Funny enough it was sorted).
    Then there was oh they'll be tired the next day at school.
    She won't have her special day with locals attending.
    There was several other reasons and none of them had any foundation really.
    The campaign was mainly made by a man who has no time for the Catholic church and people who never go to mass.
    In the end it all worked out fine. People attending even told me it was nicer than the regular communion but maybe a little tight for space.
    It also means those attending might give something to the collection because they mightn't be seen again until Conformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Despite some of the comment during the Pope's visit, it shows how Ireland is still a very strongly devout catholic country, and is committed to maintaining it that way.
    Woe any priest trying to 'modernise' from the conservative catholicism tradition.

Don't think it has much to do with Catholisism, it's still the same sacrament this way after all. People want their day out, new outfit, princess dress etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

This happened in my town last year well something similar.
    It announced that all the schools in the area were going be be given their first communion at a regular Sunday mass in their parish church. The outrage it caused it was mad.
    Letters to the bishop, ringing the local radio station, letters to the local paper.
    The main reason for the out rage was.
    The hair saloons are closed on Sunday.(Local places agreed to open)
    Then they were hassle about bouncing castles/etc because some people had them booked without knowing the date.(Funny enough it was sorted).
    Then there was oh they'll be tired the next day at school.
    She won't have her special day with locals attending.
    There was several other reasons and none of them had any foundation really.
    The campaign was mainly made by a man who has no time for the Catholic church and people who never go to mass.
    In the end it all worked out fine. People attending even told me it was nicer than the regular communion but maybe a little tight for space.
    It also means those attending might give something to the collection because they mightn't be seen again until Conformation.

Did you make this announcement?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

it should be on a sunday. only for those children who attend mass every other sunday.

if parents don't go to mass, then they can have a party on any other day for their little johnny so they don't feel left out.

no need to join the club just to have the big day out, when you can create your own celebration event if that's all your really interested in

Did you make this announcement?

No but I had a lot of respect for the local priests who didn't cave into the peoples demands!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

As a parent of a child who made a communion last year, the amount of school time given over to 'preparing' for it is scarcely believable - hours of wasted education time.

It's a good idea but will never be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s already happening in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

"
    “They can’t get rid of our tradition. They said because of the tradition of people going out in big dresses, they don’t want others to feel bad who can’t afford it, which we totally understand, but it’s only as costly as you make it. "

Funny, in my experience the less they can afford it the bigger and more elaborate the dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

No but I had a lot of respect for the local priests who didn't cave into the peoples demands!

Ah yes, you are of course correct.
    Just some cryptic humour....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

How many of those planning to protest outside mass would have actually attended the mass I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This crossed my mind when I read the story earlier, but in all honesty I'd say people would just subsume that into something else - a big celebration for finishing primary school, for example, which we don't really have at the moment.

If there's one thing no one can claim we Irish aren't uniformly f*cking epic at, it's coming up with workable excuses to have mad sessions. :cool:

This crossed my mind when I read the story earlier, but in all honesty I'd say people would just subsume that into something else - a big celebration for finishing primary school, for example, which we don't really have at the moment.

If there's one thing no one can claim we Irish aren't uniformly f*cking epic at, it's coming up with workable excuses to have mad sessions. :cool:
    That'd be the confirmation though, at the end of primary school

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I can't tell if you are being serious or taking the piss. Those two points are diametrically opposed. The priest wants to make the whole sacrament of communion more devout and bring it back to a focus on the sacrament. The people don't want that. The princess dresses, new outfits, party and fancy dinner have absolutely feck all to do with being devout. This just goes to show how very, very little the actual religion means to these families. It's just all about the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That'd be the confirmation though, at the end of primary school

Fair point. What age do kids tend to make their communions again? I'm sure I can come up with a similar seshcuse (that's a sesh excuse) if given the correct parameters :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ban everything for ever.

As a parent of a child who made a communion last year, the amount of school time given over to 'preparing' for it is scarcely believable - hours of wasted education time.

It's a good idea but will never be implemented.

I was surprised at the anger when it happened in our area. I thought lots of people would have wanted a system when they'd be less done in school, etc.
    When it happened thought they was a lot of anger because people knew they'd need to go to more masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

iguana wrote: »
    I can't tell if you are being serious or taking the piss. Those two points are diametrically opposed. The priest wants to make the whole sacrament of communion more devout and bring it back to a focus on the sacrament. The people don't want that. The princess dresses, new outfits, party and fancy dinner have absolutely feck all to do with being devout. This just goes to show how very, very little the actual religion means to these families. It's just all about the party.

You can't tell if TroL is being serious, really??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was surprised at the anger when it happened in our area. I thought lots of people would have wanted a system when they'd be less done in school, etc.
    When it happened thought they was a lot of anger because people knew they'd need to go to more masses.

People are lazy. A lot of people who want Catholic education in schools would hate it if they had to teach it to the kid themselves or bring the kid to Sunday school. So they want the state to pay for it and take care of it. I'd say most wouldn't even bother. And don't ask them to explain transubstantiation.

My niece started school in a national school last week and on the very first day she was taught how to bless herself.

Most people want to have the party but do nothing else

Fair point. What age do kids tend to make their communions again? I'm sure I can come up with a similar seshcuse (that's a sesh excuse) if given the correct parameters :D
    First class I think? It's close to start of school I suppose

Grayson wrote: »
    People are lazy. A lot of people who want Catholic education in schools would hate it if they had to teach it to the kid themselves or bring the kid to Sunday school. So they want the state to pay for it and take care of it. I'd say most wouldn't even bother. And don't ask them to explain transubstantiation.

My niece started school in a national school last week and on the very first day she was taught how to bless herself.

The impression I got from the priest in the area at time was they are kind of sick of this sort of a la carte attitude.
    They do get things have changened and families, etc and they aren't expecting them to to be devout.
    But it does annoy them when kids have no concept of how a mass works or basic prayers.
    They'd also have no issue with kids who'd have needs/difficulty.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

First class I think? It's close to start of school I suppose

Usually 2ND class as far as I know so they would be 8/9 years old...mine won't be making it (although I did baptise them as I didn't know what schools they would be attending) and when I told the headmistress she didn't bat an eyelid ( it is a Catholic school but takes kids "of all religions and none) she told me the number of kids not making it is increasing each year and by the time it's my daughters classes turn she would expect at least half not to take part. And it's not a problem. There is hope for us yet...

Advertisement