Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects - Cyclist Support Vital

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

blackbox wrote: »
    Of course we were.

It was the green agenda to reduce CO2 at the expense of everything else.

We were completely aware that Volkswagen and others were cheating on emissions tests, and we let it run for years, basing policy off the false results, before deciding to fine them? That was a bit silly then, wasn’t it?
    eeeee wrote: »
    From the Blackrock end:
    "The width of the road between Estate Avenue and Merrion Gates junction
    has been reduced to a three-lane arrangement with outbound bus lane only to reduce land take and impact on trees."

FFS :mad:

And to make it worse, the cycle lane becomes a footpath at almost every. single. bus stop.

That's a pure fcuking disaster. You'd find it hard to do worse.

Fcuk sake.

505146.jpg

Well that’s a disaster. Why is that happening? It’s 4 lanes now. Surely if they’re reducing it to 3 there’s room for a proper segregated two way cycle track?

Is this sort of thing replicated throughout the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

blackbox wrote: »
    It was the green agenda to reduce CO2 at the expense of everything else.

Which is still a valid agenda given that climate change is the biggest threat facing us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

They're also not putting in a cycle lane in on parts of the Navan road
    *mega facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

They're also not putting in a cycle lane in on parts of the Navan road
    *mega facepalm*

There seems to be two 2m cycle lanes proposed from the NCR to the Halfway House and from there to just short of the M50 roundabout a 3.5m two-way lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There seems to be two 2m cycle lanes proposed from the NCR to the Halfway House and from there to just short of the M50 roundabout a 3.5m two-way lane.

Maps 8-13 have no cycle lanes, and seem to be the N3, unless I'm wrong?

• Advertisement

Maps 8-13 have no cycle lanes, and seem to be the N3, unless I'm wrong?

I'm not out that way on the bike too much but do many cyclists come in the N3 and onto the M50 roundabout? Don't think I'd fancy it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's an option to bypass the roundabout using the footbridge near Castleknock station. I'm sure having a segregated cycle lane on the other side of the road would make it much easier for cyclists heading into town. It's not a huge distance from the outskirts of Dublin 15 into the city, I'm sure a nice route would prove very popular with people.

I see Cian at IrishCycle.com is doing a fairly detailed cycling analysis of all the proposed bus corridors starting with Route 1 coming in the Malahide Road: https://irishcycle.com/2020/03/12/busconnects-review-route-1-of-part-g-griffith-ave-to-fairview/

Looks like the local Information Events have been cancelled but the deadline for submissions still stands.

Bus Connects have understandably had to cancel their information sessions due to the Covid 19 crisis. They are however still going ahead with the 17 April deadline for submissions on the corridor designs. They have announced a further consultation process in September but it was unclear if this would incorporate changes made post 17 April. I wrote to them about this and eventually got the following reply:

"The September planned consultation will be broadly based on the current corridor selection proposals, but submissions from this current consultation and ongoing planning associated with environmental assessment, transport assessment, junction design, and bus-stop design, may result in some amendments.
    We will however be advising the relevant stakeholders if any such changes arise in the interim at the time of the consultation.
    It is important to note that the planning process will not be completed and submitted to An Bord Pleanála without this further non-statutory consultation in September, and submissions at that time will be assessed with the same importance as any submitted now."

To me this looks as if features of the current design, both good and bad, may no longer appear in the September version so commenting before Friday next remains important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Evening star

New user. How long does one have to have joined before being alowed to join in conversation? My posts and replys ate being deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I doubt that, unless of course you were being a berk :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

New user. How long does one have to have joined before being alowed to join in conversation? My posts and replys ate being deleted.
    mod note - i've PMed you on this topic - this is not relevant to the thread you posted in so please don't post further in this thread on the topic.

CPTM wrote: »
    Hi there, I am actually looking at buying a house in Brookvale Downs where the proposed bike lane is set to pass through. It's made me a little hesitant. Do you think the bike lane would be used, or will people just fly on down the Rathfarnham road in the bus lane?

If they do go through the estate, is it even a bad thing to have cyclists passing through an estate? I can't make up my mind whether this is a good thing or a bad thing for the houses in Brookvale Downs.

Hi, I reside there. Yes, there is proposed development plans with regard cycle lane cutting through the housing estate of Brookvale downs. I agree in that I have my reservations about it. I believe it would most certainly be used if brought to state. It would be objected, although, I don't see the sense in the planning because cyclists are being diverted from the main Rathfarnham Road, just at the entrance to Brookvale. Why would they be bothered when they end up on same road as they exit the cul de sac...

Grassey wrote: »
    Nobody in their right mind would detour off the main road down a narrow shared use lane, through the estate and back onto to a different road perpendicular to where they started, where they now need to cross at a pedestrian crossing in order to continue from rathfarnham towards terenure.

I agree....!! It's ridiculous. I reside in the immediate area.. we'll have to wait and see how this pans out..

Apparently the next draft of the BusConnect plans is due to be published on Wednesday next, 4th November. It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, have been made to the cycle network proposals. Details should be on http://www.busconnects.ie

Advertisement