Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time you cried?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dub Ste wrote: »
    The other day.
    I saw the clip from "The Queen of Sheba" episode from The Royale Family, where Barbara is brushing her mam's hair, and Nana was saying sorry for being a burden.

The night before my mam died we had a similar conversation. She'd not been well for over a year, and had also lost her sight.
    I'd been out from work, and when I got home, she called me into her room, she needed to use the commode, so I helped her on, and left her to use it, came back in when she'd done, and lifted her back into bed.
    She sat me down and told me she was so sorry for the way she was,and that her son shouldn't see her like this, and sorry for being a burden..
    I told her not to say such things, and then she said she was tired and wanted to go to sleep, she held my hand and told me she loved me, I told her that I loved her, but she said, no son, I love YOU.
    Gave her a kiss goodnight, and never spoke to her again, she died the next morning.
    Watching that clip reduces me to a heap......

Got me crying too now :(
    It would break my heart to think my mother or father ever thought they could be a burden on me when they're old and sick after so many years of looking after their child growing up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Yesterday I passed a horse that was in a bad way after what looked like a fall in a part of north Dublin. He was attached to one of those horrible sulky carts with 4 or 5 men standing around him. In fairness it looked like one of them was rubbing his head. Hopefully it wasn't as bad as I imagined but I was crying thinking of the horrible life he has or had.

If this was on the rathoath road he was hit by a car

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

Dub Ste wrote: »
    The night before my mam died we had a similar conversation. She'd not been well for over a year, and had also lost her sight.
    I'd been out from work, and when I got home, she called me into her room, she needed to use the commode, so I helped her on, and left her to use it, came back in when she'd done, and lifted her back into bed.
    She sat me down and told me she was so sorry for the way she was,and that her son shouldn't see her like this, and sorry for being a burden..
    I told her not to say such things, and then she said she was tired and wanted to go to sleep, she held my hand and told me she loved me, I told her that I loved her, but she said, no son, I love YOU.
    Gave her a kiss goodnight, and never spoke to her again, she died the next morning.
    yep, got me too.
    & i'm not much of a crier

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

wakka12 wrote: »
    Got me crying too now :(
    It would break my heart to think my mother or father ever thought they could be a burden on me when they're old and sick after so many years of looking after their child growing up

Been there... and yeah, it can be brutal.

It angers me when I see people who shove parents or grandparents into a home when even a headcold or flu makes them view them as 'a burden'.
    Literally did everything we could to keep my dad at home, but one of the respite nurses told us to put him into a hospice for two weeks, to give us a break. He was suffering fluid buildup in his joints-the knees, the elbows and so on (side-effect of terminal cancer). So even getting out of his seat, or shaving, was something he couldn't do himself. And he was a big man, so it took more than one person to help him out of his chair.

Sadly, that's where he passed away. (In total comfort, mind you.)

Advertisement