Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infringement on freedom

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Wrong since we are a signature of the ECHR we do have a fairly milquetoast right to free speech, subject to a lot of conditions and probably not worth the paper it is written on. But it’s there.

Ssssssh, I'm trying to troll the troll.

I've yet to meet somebody in this country who wants there to be an absolute right to free speech. That would be an obviously silly concept that would allow innocent people to be accused of vile things.

Expecting the media to be fair, balanced and impartial in what voices journalists allow is a serious misunderstanding of the abject cúnts, sycophants and lackeys of the powerful that constitute the pseudo profession of journalism. A more boorish, cliquish, incestuous, agenda-pushing, alcohol-dependent, democracy-undermining anglocentric cabal in Irish society does not exist. If they are in the employment of Independent Newspapers or The Irish Times they are at the very top of this particular land of agenda-pushing cúnts.

We need far stronger libel laws, and to fling this self-serving idiotic "respect the free press" nonsense on to the scrapheap of history. There is no "free press". It's owned by oligarchs and operated by the aforementioned clique of self-serving cúnts in the interests of their owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    Everyone who disallows freedom of speech should be dealt with swiftly.

Freedom of speech only has to do with governmental restrictions on speech.

A private enterprise either here or the states doesn't have to abide by free speech. If you go to the coke hq, stand in lobby with placards saying coke sucks, drink Pepsi you will be removed immediately. Similarly if you appear on a live tv show say talk show like Ellen or Colbert or wwe raw and bring a sign the producer doesn't like they will remove it.

What you say has consequences. I can't simply walk into my neighbours house, call his wife a fat ugly pig who has slept with everyone in town and when he tells me to leave and never return or he will call the Gardai, tell him I have freedom of speech...thats not how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

wexie wrote: »
    Nonsense, plenty of evidence of lady bigfeets out there

hqdefault.jpg

Less Bigfoot...more Bigtit!

What kind of a "free" country this is? Where you get shut down for stating your opinions. Pathetic. I guess the little sheeplets are happy shouting you down with illogical nonsense but they're right because they scream louder not because they use facts. It's stupid to call yourself a free country if you're going to put people in prison for saying the wrong thing or ban people in this forum. Just like gestapo would do if you've said something that you've disagreed with.
    I'm not posting this in feedback as this is a general attitude in this in this country and in the UK where a man was convicted for making his dog do a Nazi salute. You'll get mod warnings on any controversial thread to make sure you do not write a "wrong" opinion.
    There is no freedom of speech and democracy is an illusion to control sheep who think they have any power. I've noticed in this forum, members would shout you down with stupid, nonsensical posts and most seem to agree because they shout louder even though they have absolutely no evidence to back up their claims.
    Who needs logic when you can just shout someone down and believe in your own delusion without having to back it up with any evidence.
    Brainless "where you at?" and "what did you eat?" are the hottest topics obviously and when someone posts something different they get shouted down because they have a wrong or different opinion from someone else.
    OP keep away from threads about money, politics and religion and you'll be grand. Those are the threads where the shills hang out ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

OP keep away from threads about money, politics and religion and you'll be grand. Those are the threads where the shills hang out ;)

Try bringing that ****eology into a TV forum, and see how quickly those "shills" turf you outta there too.

No, but why hitler didn't move to Italy which was fascist first instead of trying to change his home country? Why?! Answer me!!!

Hitlers home country was Austria, he was an immigrant.
    I think that the Nazi's were more concerned about the structural differences in the  lower jaw among certain ethnic groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Freedom of speech only has to do with governmental restrictions on speech.

A private enterprise either here or the states doesn't have to abide by free speech. If you go to the coke hq, stand in lobby with placards saying coke sucks, drink Pepsi you will be removed immediately. Similarly if you appear on a live tv show say talk show like Ellen or Colbert or wwe raw and bring a sign the producer doesn't like they will remove it.

What you say has consequences. I can't simply walk into my neighbours house, call his wife a fat ugly pig who has slept with everyone in town and when he tells me to leave and never return or he will call the Gardai, tell him I have freedom of speech...thats not how it works.

The term freedom of speech isn’t just restricted to what government allows, or disallows though. That’s an American constitutional reading of the issue. A government could protect free speech against corporate interests, if it so wishes.

In fact California sorta does.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruneyard_Shopping_Center_v._Robins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Should Hitler have moved to Italy instead of try changing his home country? Ridiculous logic.

*put up hand

emm, Sir Hitler was Austrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

sheesh wrote: »
    *put up hand

emm, Sir Hitler was Austrian

He actually renounced his Austrian citizenship and took German citizenship in the early 30's...so he was German when be carried out all his atrocities ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Does the US not also have privately-owned websites which operate their own moderation policy?

(I'll give you a hint: it does, and they do)

Indeed, and compelled speech is very unconstitutional.

Obligitary xkcd:
    https://xkcd.com/1357/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You support paedophilia?

Does it matter what I support? If you support free speech, you will support my right to put forward any opinions, right? Even ones that are abhorrent to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Indeed, and compelled speech is very unconstitutional.

Obligitary xkcd:
    https://xkcd.com/1357/

I'm just embedding that cause it's very relevant

free_speech.png

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Personally I think it's time to get back to Phrenology. You get your skull examined when you're 18 and that decides your role in life. I'd put money on the OP having the sloped brow and bulbous occipital bone of a malingerer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

free_speech.png

Perfect explanation, take heed op.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He actually renounced his Austrian citizenship and took German citizenship in the early 30's...so he was German when be carried out all his atrocities ....

Even then, when he was born Austria was still 'german' and austrian germans were as german as any others. Even today some still see it so. It was only in 1866 that Austria was excluded from German state affairs and went down the path of being it's own country, rather than being another german region. And after WW1 there was a lot of support for Austria rejoining Germany, only the Allies forbid it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

free_speech.png

Can I measure your head?

Can I measure your head?

Preach your ideals of freedom on the mountain, you'll have no one to contradict you.

Advertisement