Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rising Time on RTE Radio 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

there used to be priests/nuns doing it

Cole wrote: »
    God forbid they might include a Catholic priest in their their diverse approach.

It hit the barrel last week when they had Clodagh McKenna...yes the fcuking chef...granting us some pearls of wisdom, although I didn't wait to listen.

Sorry, why are you so keen to have priests and nuns issuing "pearls of wisdom" and not ordinary, non clerics? I feel like you're just assuming we get that part as self-evident, but ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Sorry, why are you so keen to have priests and nuns issuing "pearls of wisdom" and not ordinary, non clerics? I feel like you're just assuming we get that part as self-evident, but ??

I'm not...but honestly the effort to point out just how you've misinterpreted my post is really not worth it.

BBC Radio 2 "Pause for Thought" have both clerics and non-clerics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

After a hoarse Brian Jennings rather croaked his way through the news this morning and joked he hoped to be still alive by Morning Ireland, our jocular host told him sure don't worry, the weekend was almost upon us, sure wasnt it "practicality Friday" anyway, a lighthearted dig at the fact Jennings works a 4 day week. To which Jennings could only meekly protest, "I work very hard. I work very hard!"

But of course, 10 seconds later, while walking back to his desk, Brian was cursing himself for not saying, 'i mightn't have the hardest job in the world Shay but i dont have to take that from someone who works 90 minutes a day."

• Advertisement

Is shay byrne an RTE staffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

I listened to "A Word in Edgeways" (the new "A Living Word") this morning. The author Cathy Kelly was on and her topic was...eh...it must have been kindness, as I lost track of how many times she said "kind" or "kindness". The syrupy tone was dripping through the radio. Now before I'm misinterpreted (again), I've no problem with no-clerics doing this stuff (like the psychologist Ian Robertson this week), but if it's going to be random 'celebrity' authors and chefs, then I'd rather they stick with clerics...regardless of their faith.

Cathy Kelly should either team up with Tubridy for a kindness double act or just get out more. Cynical I know, but I was at my local GP with my elderly father for vaccinations today and I didn't see much kindness amongst the selfish twats taking limited parking spaces in the car park, so they could feck off to the shop.

I still can't figure this shay byrne guy out... I feel a bit uneasy listening to him.

Anyone else agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭carfinder

No, I don't agree. Shay comes across as a genuine nice guy. My only gripe is his indulgence of the daily ritual of the lady from Ballymore Eustace and yer wan from Daisy Cottage Farm. Daughter number 1 and such like ... hardly worthy of national broadcast!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Ffs I haven't heard Shay since March 2020, I see little had changed.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

You feel uneasy when you listen to a radio presenter?Why? Whats to figure out about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

not much of fan of his presenting but think he is sound enough and would not expect any things to come out about him if that is what you feel makes you uneasy .

At least Shay Byrne worked his way up the ladder from a continuity announcer, he's stuck on that graveyard shift for over 10 years now tho and is unlikely to have any possibility of a promotion. Speaking of djs on Radio 1, I don't get why yerman from the hothouse flowers was given late date, iirc either Alf McCarthy or Lillian Smith were dropped from the show just to make way for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Bizarre show today. Shay started off quite giddy and then said that the text machine wasn't working. Played quite a few songs back to back and at 7.40 said that he moved studio just after 6 a.m. His last song was The Bee Gees - Tragedy - he signed off and went to the adbreak and then reappeared at the end of it basically saying that he signed off too early and played some more of the Bee Gees. He seems like a nice guy but sometimes his show sounds like a bad student radio programme.

You mean 6.40 ?, the show finishes at 7am ?

Shay feels like he needs banter with everyone, including the comfortably serious newsreader Brian Jennings.

Apologies, you are correct it was 6.40!! On Fridays he's like an excited schoolboy waiting for the end of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Has Marty Whelan (just before his Lyric show starts) popped into Shay's studio lately?

Shay is at his most hyper whenever this happens.

He called in on Friday an there was some slagging about Shay breaking the studio or something. Marty was off mic so couldn't really hear him.

Even Lilian Smith was at the "Have a lovely day, whatever you're up to" lark this morning.

Post edited by Red Fred on

• Advertisement

why did RTE drop "The Living word" which had been around for many, many years for a terribly named slot called "A word in edgeways" ?

This morning had a woman from Sligo talking for ages about taking down decorations from the attic and putting up the Christmas tree.

Really awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

He seems like a decent person, and plays some good music, but at that hour, I'm not interested in hearing about the adventures of 'Lucky Larry' and Co, so I only tune in for the news and weather

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Alf retired in 2015. https://www.echolive.ie/corklives/arid-40218665.html

Lilian was never dropped as such but she spent forever as a fill in and was liable to disappear for weeks at a time. Nowadays she fluctuates between her regular weekend Rising Time shows and standing in on Late Date or Rising Time weekdays, or very occasionally for John Creedon. I once heard that she was offered Late Date on a permanent basis when Val Joyce had retired but politely declined the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

Alf made no secret of his desire to continue working after his 65th birthday, It is surprising then that he never again got any work there, considering that late date went a longtime without a permanent presenter and it's not like RTE stopped the practice of rehiring retirees as Angus McAnally was back producing liveline as a contractor shortly after his retirement. The only conclusion I can come to is that Alf just wasn't liked by management.

somehow I don't think shay byrne wants a promotion??

He has his 1.5 hrs show done by 7am, then preps for his next days show - so I would estimate he's home by latest 12 noon. his music is all pre-selected, no song requests from listeners during the show. so he knows the running order and the links / banter with business/sports timings in between songs.

nice work if you can get it.

much better than his previous job, of being a painter / decorator just over 10 years ago.

is he permanent with RTE?

Wonder what the figures are for rising time but I agree Shay seems happy enough with the job he has am sure he makes enough and away nice and early to do other things if he wants.

I've always wondered if he persisted with his signature sign-off on bad news days like the start of lockdown etc. Anyone ever heard him skip it?

I'd say it comes automatically to him like his banter act .

From listening to shay's show and the texts he reads out, I think the majority of his listeners are not the doom and gloom type. not the day to day early commuters.

at a guess they would be over 55, retired or semi retired - living in the country.

all they've to think about at that hour of the morning, is the 6am walk with the dog and the weather prospects, not really bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah I'd agree.

RTE leave the prime time slots and huge money presenters to chat about boats that sank 75 years ago, and grass being too long in graveyards.

Advertisement