Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rising Time on RTE Radio 1

Options
  • 21-09-2018 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

I generally like the mix of music on the show but wish Mr Byrne would cut out the stupid unfunny banter he inflicts on the listeners each morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I hear Shane quite often on my drive to work.

I think he's a decent host, but he can get a bit cringey sometimes with his links to the news or business folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

I pop him on once in a while. Seems like a nice guy and a decent voice. Far too many time checks though. "It's 23 minutes to 6", is pointless. But then at that time of the morning he has very little else to be saying. Had to turn him off this morning when he played Dolly Parton.. :D But in fairness it was a request.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

I often hear the last 15 minutes & am amazed at how much talking is done over the music. He often fades the penultimate choice to fit in a snippet from the final selection. Surely just play the complete penultimate choice & talk out without a music bed if the timings are slightly short. Sounds like a decent guy despite the cringe with the sports people particularly.

Did i hear once on here, that he was a tradesman who found himself unemployed during the downturn? And that he got himself a job in radio as a solution? Fair play to him if that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

he is a bit too much for that time of the morning..

he had marty whelan in studio this morning, as he often does, fairly cringey tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I start work at 3am and don't get the opportunity to speak to anyone so I enjoy listening to him and the music! Some of the other shows are cringeworthy especially 4FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

He was a painter and decorator as he has mentioned it a few times .As others have said seems a decent guy but just wish he would cut out the comedy act as to me it's not funny and no need for it on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

After 6 or 7 years I think I’m used to him now but, fck me, the shock of going from the soft spoken Maxi to this giggling duracell bunny was off the Richter scale. He’s probably not the worst but there should definitely be a restraining order preventing him and Des Cahill being in the same studio during broadcasting hours. Not recommended for delicate ears in the mornings.

He was a painter and decorator as he has mentioned it a few times .
    How did he manage that, was he working in local or volunteer radio before this gig?

That's one impressive career move! Wouldn't mind a change of career like that, delighted for him.

I think he’s been in RTÉ s good while, remember him doing continuity before he got the morning gig. He wasn’t just plucked off the street anyway.

• Advertisement

I remember in around 2010/2011 he was doing some very light reports/opinions for Tubridys 2FM show.
    He was also on Radio 1 overnight continuity.

He had a background in amateur drama groups...

No radio experience, obviously he knew someone within RTE!! Thought that only happened in the 1960s, when RTE recruited announcers in from the street!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

He used to do the voiceover on Winning Streak. There was an interview with him in one of the TV guide magazines a few years back. He said that he is completely on his own during the show - nobody comes into his studio, apart from the guy that delivers the newspapers. The business and sports reports are done from the Morning Ireland studio and he can see the presenters on a monitor.

Seems like a nice guy and enjoy his shows when I hear them, despite his "Uncle Gaybo" impressions.

Red Fred wrote: »
    The business and sports reports are done from the Morning Ireland studio and he can see the presenters on a monitor.

Bet they are happy with that arrangement!!

This guy is a cringe fest.

Have you heard him these mornings when the person doing the business news comes on (Petula)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Fantastic presenter. Great music knowledge.

Fantastic presenter. Great music knowledge.

Sure they all have these days with the www :rolleyes:

Fairly bland, predictable song selection I would say, but that’s not much of a criticism as 5.30-7am is not really a time slot to be going all out there with your playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

As a presenter he's fine, but some of the music is plays is just awful. He's a big fan of musicals, I think he has performed in few and tends to play show tunes very regularly. Which is something I just can't be doing with first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

I seriously like this programme. Helps when the alarm goes off at 6.20am and he seems like a nice guy. Weird how he seems to really get on with Petula when she is doing the business news but less so with Brian Finn and even less with Adam Maguire.

Did anybody hear the show on Friday though?After getting through Starship (can the singer really be over 80 now>), Shania Twain and Dua Lipa he went into a mad routine channeling his inner Bosco, Judge and then what sounded like Miss Piggy while talking with Des Cahill. It was so bizarre I really thought I was dreaming. And then Oasis he went into a random discussion about business people. Very strange to wake up to!

Personally find his comedy routine with the various buiness and sports contributors really cringy and totally unnecessary and not in the least bit funny but sure their will be plenty who would disagree with me on that am sure .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Clon63 wrote: »
    I seriously like this programme. Helps when the alarm goes off at 6.20am and he seems like a nice guy. Weird how he seems to really get on with Petula when she is doing the business news but less so with Brian Finn and even less with Adam Maguire.

Did anybody hear the show on Friday though?After getting through Starship (can the singer really be over 80 now>), Shania Twain and Dua Lipa he went into a mad routine channeling his inner Bosco, Judge and then what sounded like Miss Piggy while talking with Des Cahill. It was so bizarre I really thought I was dreaming. And then Oasis he went into a random discussion about business people. Very strange to wake up to!
    paragraph 1 bang on description

Paragraph 2, that featured on Playback

I haven't heard Shay since the first week in March, i think the best word to describe him would be harmless.

It's not the most taxing listen at that hour if the morning

His taste in music and banter would be questionable

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

I prefer this show on weekends with Lillian Smith tbh, still miss her presence on Late Date where she had a good following.

I like listening to Lillian find her nice and easy on the ears to get the day started .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Personally find his comedy routine with the various buiness and sports contributors really cringy and totally unnecessary and not in the least bit funny

We know, you pointed this out in 2018! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes i started the thread but unfortunetly he has not changed his routine .

Clon63 wrote: »

I heard this, it was very strange to listen to.

The links and music flow timings of the show is exactly the same each morning, usually starting off with Irish ballads like Gentle Annie from Tommy Makem, middle of the show playing recent and new country or Bruce Springsteen, some new stuff like Harry Styles and the end playing a few lively 80s hits.

His Friday banter with Marty Whelan on his way to Lyric FM is cringe..

I much preferred Maxi in this slot tbh. more relaxing..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Usually tune in from when I wake and Shay Byrne usually just plays tunes and then there's a bit of news etc

This morning they had a bizarre piece totally out of kilter with the show.

A pre-record monologue from a 20 year old student talking about how great Ramadan is and how Islam guides her and God is guiding her yadiyada.

Who thought this would be a good idea to interrupt an easy listening music show with religious programming .... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Usually tune in from when I wake and Shay Byrne usually just plays tunes and then there's a bit of news etc

This morning they had a bizarre piece totally out of kilter with the show.

A pre-record monologue from a 20 year old student talking about how great Ramadan is and how Islam guides her and God is guiding her yadiyada.

Who thought this would be a good idea to interrupt an easy listening music show with religious programming .... ?

I haven't listened to it in ages, but hasn't it always had a daily "A Living Word" segment.

Ahwell wrote: »
    I haven't listened to it in ages, but hasn't it always had a daily "A Living Word" segment.

Yes its a daily feature of the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Ahwell wrote: »

It changed a couple of weeks ago to "A Word in Edgeways". I didn't hear this morning's, but I've heard a few of them. They seem to be trying (way too hard) to go for a whole 'we're so spiritually inclusive and diverse' here at RTE thing...God forbid they might include a Catholic priest in their their diverse approach.

It hit the barrel last week when they had Clodagh McKenna...yes the fcuking chef...granting us some pearls of wisdom, although I didn't wait to listen.

Advertisement