Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Itinerant community in close proximity to Rathcoole Village

Options
  • 21-09-2018 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but if someone could shed some light. Has anyone noticed that there is a very large community of Itinerants living in a field at Keatings Park in Rathcoole. There are about 30 or 40 caravans hitched,bonfires scattered around the field, vans and old burnt out cars,rubbish scattered around the site.They seem to have arrived only a few weeks ago,for residents living in and around rathcoole and the surrounding areas,be vigilant.

Anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Something something culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Didn't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Time to lock everything away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

pay them a visit for culture night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

That's not the preferred nomenclature these days dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Absolutely scum bag behavior destroying parks and anything around them with all sorts of rubbish and their own filth.

They can do what they want as guberment gave them extra status and guards are afraid to go near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My step grandad lived in Brittas (near Rathcoole) and was burgled by a couple of Traveller lads while he watched tv (he was very hard of hearing).

They stole his pension from his bedroom and helped themselves to other bits and bobs. He was so shaken, he passed away not long after.

Absolute scumbags, I hope they never know a moment's peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

They've been in and out of that field for years. Didn't realise there were that many in there now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A friend of mine lives near such an illegal encampment that has been there for a couple of years with varying numbers involved. The area has been plagued with burglaries and thefts of cars, bikes, anything not nailed down. Dogs have been stolen too. On his road every single house has been burgled, or had an attempted burglary, a few more than once. And more than once attempts were made in the early evenings when families were at home. Brazen as hell*. Most of the time they don't usually take much of anything. They wreck the place looking for cash and jewellery. Though one neighbour of his came home from a weekend away to find their house ransacked and their car gone, no doubt stuffed with their property.

The Guards know the culprits, certainly where they hail from but getting proof is hard and even then convictions and god forbid proper sentences are thin on the ground. They basically show up so people can claim on insurance. This is in leafy suburban Dublin BTW, an area ten, fifteen minutes or so from two police stations. Folks living in rural areas have even less protection.

*nearly always by removing double glazed panes from their frames. Stupidly easy to do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

A huge convoy of them set up camp on the dodder near me in Rathfarnham once.
    Result was months of a nice local amenity off limits for months. The river was a dumping ground for their rubbish, we had cars joyriding and being burned out.
    Feral kids roamed the shopping center and local gardens taking anything not nailed down.
    Local guards did nothing except watch these expensive 4x4’s come and go as they pleased, no tax checks or breathalyzer tests for these lads, much too intimidating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭MFPM

My step grandad lived in Brittas (near Rathcoole) and was burgled by a couple of Traveller lads while he watched tv (he was very hard of hearing).

They stole his pension from his bedroom and helped themselves to other bits and bobs. He was so shaken, he passed away not long after.

Indeed because it's only Travellers who burgle houses?

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but if someone could shed some light. Has anyone noticed that there is a very large community of Itinerants living in a field at Keatings Park in Rathcoole. There are about 30 or 40 caravans hitched,bonfires scattered around the field, vans and old burnt out cars,rubbish scattered around the site.They seem to have arrived only a few weeks ago,for residents living in and around rathcoole and the surrounding areas,be vigilant.

Anyone else notice this?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

How do you know they were travellers? I'm not saying they werne't, I'm just curious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

troyzer wrote: »
    How do you know they were travellers? I'm not saying they werne't, I'm just curious.

Well I doubt it was the Baptists.

Could have been Nigerians? Pakistanis?

Any number of racial stereotypes.

Could have been Nigerians? Pakistanis?

Any number of racial stereotypes.

Well hello Martin Collins!

The scum effectively killed a relative of his - if the poster says he knows who did it, I would believe him rather than impose my petty dogoodery on him.

Well hello Martin Collins!

The scum effectively killed a relative of his - if the poster says he knows who did it, I would believe him rather than impose my petty dogoodery on him.

If the poster knows who did it, fair enough.

I'm just genuinely curious how he knows. The story suggests that his poor grandad was robbed while he was watching the telly and didn't notice until afterwards. I can't understand how you'd be able to tell exactly who did it in that situation.

If the poster knows who did it, fair enough.

I'm just genuinely curious how he knows. The story suggests that his poor grandad was robbed while he was watching the telly and didn't notice until afterwards. I can't understand how you'd be able to tell exactly who did it in that situation.

Where a pal lives:

2016 No crime
    2017 Travellers swarm into town
    2018 Lots of crime

Miss Marple was heard to comment "**** off, you can work that one out for yourself"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they're a rough crowd as well

fryup wrote: »
    they're a rough crowd as well

Actually bad example, the mother taught briefly at a Baptist Sunday School - could be iffy!!!!

• Advertisement

Where a pal lives:

2016 No crime
    2018 Lots of crime

Miss Marple was heard to comment "**** off, you can work that one out for yourself"

No crime, intriguing - do tell us where this crime free paradise is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The lowlife who terrorise old people are without exception cowardly travellers.
    Most other burglars have some sense of decency and dont pick on the most vulnerable. Traveller males are cowards, they pick on their wives and snimals too, again those who cant defend themselves.

Where a pal lives:

2016 No crime
    2018 Lots of crime

1932: No holocaust.

1939: Wizard of Oz comes out.

1945: Holocaust ends after nearly 10 million exterminated.

You can work that one out for yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Where a pal lives:

2016 No crime
    2018 Lots of crime

Get off the barstool.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Brittas is a common spot for traveller burglar gangs, my own cousin got a fierce beating outside his house in an attempted gun robbery. It impacted his life in a major way.

Here's another one:

2015: Normal Coke Zero
    2016: Coke Zero reformulated
    2017: Donald Trump becomes president.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!!

tretorn wrote: »
    Most other burglars have some sense of decency and dont pick on the most vulnerable. Traveller males are cowards, they pick on their wives and snimals too, again those who cant defend themselves.

Do point me to the research and statistics that indicate that NO crime against an older person is carried out by non travellers.
    Traveller males are cowards, they pick on their wives and snimals too, again those who cant defend themselves.

Undoubtedly some Traveller males do as you say but are you really suggesting for example that the only women in Women's Aid refuges are travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

How do you know they were travellers? I'm not saying they weren't, I'm just curious.

Do you think travellers are not prone to criminality (statistically)? Have you ever had extended interactions with travellers with whom you do not have a personal relationship? Do you not believe the thousands of stories of crimes committed by travelers when the identification was certain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

MFPM wrote: »
    Indeed because it's only Travellers who burgle houses?

You can only hold people to account for something once it has been established that they are the only and solitary people who do such a thing?

If any other people do such crimes, then discussion of the first-mentioned perpetrators is off limits somehow?

I don't think so.
    Moreover, when a group is granted a special status in a supposed republic, it behoves them to understand that their behaviour as a group will be highlighted on account of that and discussed by society at large.

• Advertisement

raah! wrote: »
    Do you think travellers are not prone to criminality (statistically)? Have you ever had extended interactions with travellers with whom you do not have a personal relationship? Do you not believe the thousands of stories of crimes committed by travelers when the identification was certain?

You well know that's not what the poster was suggesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement