Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jucko

Big Mick has still got it
    ......stood right in front of sound desk, man he got it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It has to be pointed Slane wasn't always about metal, many different genres have played the event, some folk have mentioned Muse, what about Radiohead or Blur.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It has to be pointed Slane wasn't always about metal, many different genres have played the event, some folk have mentioned Muse, what about Radiohead or Blur.

Slane has always been Rock centric all the bands you list even are very much Rock bands as are any metal act you could rail off :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Blur are popular but don't know about 80,000.. Radiohead hugely popular elsewhere, would fill that capacity in other countries but probably not here sadly. Would be like Malahide Castle '08, majority of ball bags who wanted to hear everything off the bends and were bored when they played anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭colmufc

Blur are popular but don't know about 80,000.. Radiohead hugely popular elsewhere, would fill that capacity in other countries but probably not here sadly. Would be like Malahide Castle '08, majority of ball bags who wanted to hear everything off the bends and were bored when they played anything else.

Blur could do about 45,000 max with a decent support line up they could sell out but the days of a great support line line the days of u2 and the chillis are long gone and now were stuck with the Coronas and fangclub
    I was surprised by how many were at blur a few years ago in Dublin but they were so good I'd go see them with a proper line up but no way if it's just them as the only ones to see , Radiohead would probably do okay they have a big following that travel for gigs so would be interesting to see how they would do if they were to do a euro only tour and play slane and noting in the UK that year and they would easily come close to a sell out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

colmufc wrote: »
    Pearl jam and AC/DC 100% would sell it out the chillies have lost alot of fans in recent years with how poor they have been they barely played for 80mins at croke park a few years back

Was at that Chillis gig, think it was my fourth time seeing them, and definitely my last

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭colmufc

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was at that Chillis gig, think it was my fourth time seeing them, and definitely my last

Ya they were great at slane
    Phoned it in the year after and I only went because of the pixies
    And they were disgraceful at croke park

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

mean gene wrote:
    This is going to be unpopular but I thought ghost were sh1te a complete joke of a band anyone I know that was at it thought the same. There seems to be a ghost love in on the thread. Best support band on the day slf that's stiff little finger's for all those numpties that hadn't a clue who they were.

?????????????
    I don't even know where to start!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

colmufc wrote: »
    Ya they were great at slane
    Phoned it in the year after and I only went because of the pixies
    And they were disgraceful at croke park

Seen them once at Oxegen 06 and was so bored , never seen them again thank god

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

mean gene wrote: »
    This is going to be unpopular but I thought ghost were sh1te a complete joke of a band anyone I know that was at it thought the same. There seems to be a ghost love in on the thread.
    Best support band on the day slf that's stiff little finger's for all those numpties that hadn't a clue who they were.
    Numpties? :rolleyes: Get over yourself :pac:

SLF just seemed completely out of place on the day. Wasted slot. Should have given it to Therapy?. They would have at least fitted the bill and are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Slane has always been Rock centric all the bands you list even are very much Rock bands as are any metal act you could rail off :confused:

Madonna certainly wasn't rock, more like pop although Iggy Pop & the Stooges were on the same bill, very odd pairing. My sister and her husband went to that one and it was a miserable wet one. Bob Dylan would be more folk/rock and Robbie Williams pop music.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just bring metallica back nxt time, from all the positive reviews they'd fill slane again, problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Just bring metallica back nxt time, from all the positive reviews they'd fill slane again, problem solved

We’re the reviews that great i thought they were disappointing enough. Ghost with better sound probably would have stole the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Penfailed

We’re the reviews that great i thought they were disappointing enough. Ghost with better sound probably would have stole the show.

No. Just...no.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Madonna certainly wasn't rock, more like pop although Iggy Pop & the Stooges were on the same bill, very odd pairing. My sister and her husband went to that one and it was a miserable wet one. Bob Dylan would be more folk/rock and Robbie Williams pop music.

Madonna and Eminem are really the only exceptions in terms of playing there. All the headliners were rock centric even if they were Dylan or Robbie Williams (who got the slot from supporting the year prior). Folk rock is a form of rock correct and I'm not sure you have a grasp on pop music you'd want to have a toe in the mainstream if you hope to drag people to a field in the middle of nowhere in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭rob316

giphy.gif

Haven't heard many complaining about Metallica themselves? Have only heard good things. I thought they were great, played with energy, were good and loud, probably played one or two too many new songs for some people but they are touring that album. Ghost sounded good, and put on a good show, were funny but don't think they have the songs to steal the show. The only complaint I had about 'Tallica was Kirk kind of ruining Unforgiven by being out of tune for the whole thing! How a guitarist with that much experience doesn't cop that and tune mid song I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Metallica were brilliant ,the only complaint was the bordering on racist version of wild rover , I thought Ghost were very meh and not getting the love for them on here at all.the best thing about their set was it was short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Honestly I thought they all showed their age at times, James messing up the words, Kirks guitar playing not being in sync with the rest of the band and Lars just being Lars. I mean it was by no means awful but there was a few times during the show where I was questioning the amount of money I paid to watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In the last 6 months I've seen Tom araya fluff the words to angel of death and hetfield fluff sandman..we're all mortal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Metallica were brilliant ,the only complaint was the bordering on racist version of wild rover , I thought Ghost were very meh and not getting the love for them on here at all.the best thing about their set was it was short.

It's not racist to learn a song from "popular Irish drinking songs "on YouTube and learn it verbatim an hour before the gig

Honestly I thought they all showed their age at times, James messing up the words, Kirks guitar playing not being in sync with the rest of the band and Lars just being Lars. I mean it was by no means awful but there was a few times during the show where I was questioning the amount of money I paid to watch this.

Think that's fairly harsh. Not sure it has anything to do with age - a person of any age can forget lyrics! Lars and Kirk have always been sloppy musicians, in relative terms. James forgot the lyrics in one song, hardly a big deal. Probably down to it being the first show they played in over a month. There was a few bum notes and the aforementioned tuning problems for Kirk during Unforgiven. But that's a live show, if it sounded like the CD there wouldn't be any point going. Very few bands are flawless live, and many that are, are using behind the scenes technology to help in that regard. Metallica are fairly raw but that's part of their power and appeal live if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Showing their age? People have been moaning about Kirk and Lars’ playing for as long as I can remember. So if you paid your €100 thinking it was going to be a mistake free performance, more fool you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Maiden doing the Live After Death set would fill it

Eh yea they got fantastic reviews everywhere you look, your actually the first person to think they were disappointing, what didn't satisfy you btw

It's a live performance, there is always gonna be bum notes and missed lyrics, maybe people just want bands to lip sync altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

It's not racist to learn a song from "popular Irish drinking songs "on YouTube and learn it verbatim an hour before the gig

I haven't listened back to it on the recording yet , but my granted alcohol infused memory of it was the terrible fake Irish accent during the song I had the problem with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

,the only complaint was the bordering on racist version of wild rover .

What a rather bizarre comment to make.

Edit - saw your more recent comment. I don’t agree but fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Maiden doing the Live After Death set would fill it
    Thankfully they wouldn’t.

• Advertisement

He sang it like a pirate, or that guy from SpongeBob. Sounded a bit silly but nothing racist about it. Huge amount of the crowd was foreign too, so didn't know it anyway. Would have preferred another one of their own tunes instead.

Advertisement