Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Will the Offaly game be available on a stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

That was the more naive approach thinking other Div 1 opposition would be doing the same. He has taken the FBD and NFL very serious this year and in the terms of fitness and conditioning they are ahead of the rest in div 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

"Hands off and safety first during covid" You having a laugh !! Just cause they weren't caught training like Monaghan and Dublin and played poorly when league returned doesn't mean they weren't training. They weren't training collectively as full panel of 35 but players were training in pods throughout covid with single members of mgt team and know that for a fact due to clubmate involved in setup and seen groups training at local astro pitch which off the beaten track.

Nearly all intercounty teams were at it in some sort or shape so would have been naive of Joyce to leave players without doing some sort of training so I wouldn't hold that against him.

Match called off now so Joyce I'll be able give some of his players a much needed rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

The first lockdown they did absolutely nothing collectively when the majority elsewhere were training together. I know that as a fact and it was clearly evident when they got hockeyed by mayo in tuam and they looked like a junior C team prep wise. There was a degree of training in pods prior to the 2021 season but still nothing on what other teams were doing, and this actually caused some unrest within the squad as some felt they should be doing more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Sport will put a rosier hue on humanity at this time 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Fierce shame this isn't on GAAGO. I thought a 5pm throw in would've made it easier to stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not broadcast on any channel?

Team starting to have a settled look about it, but still needs beefing up a bit overall. More scoring power needed, few more midfield options, wing-back McHugh could be under pressure etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭cosatron

Should joyce not be looking at midfield options, we seen last year that conroy hasn't the legs for a full game during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Crazy the game is not being streamed online. RTE will have highlights why not stream the game online if you are going to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Despite the win was by far footballers worst performance. Struggled defensively to get any turnovers and when it looked likely Cork ended up with a free. Despite huge improvement in our own kickouts Fla had plenty of hairy moments.

Attack was also frustrating. Went for goal when should of taken a point. Shot when it should of been a pass, pass when it should of been a shot! Eventually when Comer got the goal (he had a nightmare up until then) we opened them up at ease.

Shane was brilliant as always. Dessie and Rob Finnerty played like lads that knew they had to deliver so delighted they had decent games.

Big score to concede.

I think this Wexford game is more reflective of Galway than the Limerick one.

Paltry little football score at HT, more wides than scores.. a similar sight since last year.

Glennon turns a relatively straight forward 1-2 into 0.

If we're now relying on Conor Cooney to take over from JC as our main forward, we're in serious bother, none of the new forwards look anywhere near capable of competing for AIs either.

I think our backs have had more shots than our forwards here. We have no 50:50 ball winning forwards and the backs are constantly putting in terrible ball.

Henry will get a pass from me anyway regardless of what happens as we're so light on quality it's not even funny.

Very disappointing to see 5 AIs at minor and seeing probably the worst return from any of the counties they competed against in those comps.

Hopefully the new structures the new Chairman discussed start to see a change there as it's hard to see where the players are going to come from.

Never thought I'd see a situation where we have more chance of winning the football(we already know Galway can beat Mayo/Tyrone so any of the top 10 can win that now).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭threeball

Don't know why Shefflin is playing this long ball muck. Yes he won a ton of all irelands that way but he was surrounded by superstars. It's pretty clear that retaining possession is the way forward in any sport. Hurling is no different.

The one position you shouldn't go short we decided to play 2 short ones and conceded a stupid goal.

We look heavy and slow. Could be a short year.

An even worse second half with the wind. 6/7 points half.

I'd be shocked if we even get out of Leinster this year. And if this is the level of performance we get in the relegation game(Laois) I wouldn't back us to win it.

Certainly not inconsistent the last year, just consistently bad.

There's probably only 3-5 players performing at a level that's acceptable in being competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Robson99

Struggled big time in the half forward line in the first half and again in the second half except for a 10/15 minute spell where Conor Cooney won some hard ball. K Cooney J Fleming C Fahy and T Monaghan all looked lightweight though in their defence the quality of ball coming out from the back was terrible. Dont think C Mannion or C Whelan got 2 balls in the second half.

Interesting to see P Mannion starting at Centre Back. We looked very open when he went off... half back line were way off there men in the second half

Conor Whelan played no part in today! But ya a lot of poor displays. This idea of playing C. Mannion in a full forward line is the first thing that needs to end. He glides around the pitch with ease and strikes well from distance. Fighting for dog ball in a full forward line is not his strong point. Thought Jack Grealish had a decent game. With the losses of Morrissey and S. Cooney Galway need a couple lads to put their hands up for the corner back spots. Outside of C. Cooney nobody else did a whole lot. Without Concannon beside him Whelo has a fair amount of weight to carry this year.

Kevin Cooney wearing 26 replaced him from the start. Evan Niland wearing 14 came on in the second half. Whelan was injured and not in the match day squad.

Apologies....knew he didnt start.... thought it was him that came on at HT.... point still stands..... zero good ball into the FF line in the second half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Wouldn't be panicking too much but agreed that we're playing the aimless long ball from 2019 onwards with no aerial threats. It starts with the useless short puckout to Daithi and then back to the goalie which achieves nothing. We took Limerick apart in the last 10 by playing cute short ball and working it through the hands.

Cathal Mannion and Touhey were as bad as we had out there in all honesty. You could only really say Conor Cooney showed up.

Has to be said we're back to square one with corner backs now that Morrisey is gone for the championship. Fintan, Grealish and Daithi didn't set the world alight and that second Wexford goal was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

The Sunday games lack of coverage of Cork v Galway is shocking. Can rte not afford to send even 1 camera down?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Tg4 have highlights of it this evening. I saw a clip of Shane Walsh's goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Obviously my information on Darren Morrisey was incorrect thank god . As he’s named on subs for trip to cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭MfMan

Thankfully as right. Could be as good as any for one of the troublesome corner-back spots.

Team subtly different for tomorrow evening. Bit lighter but pacier perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It's a real test for both Cork and Galway. I can see this being a real good game. The surface in the Cork Atletic Grounds is top class as is the whole stadium. Its on GAAGO if I'm correct

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's live on RTE on Saturday

Personally it's the most exciting/intriguing match this year so far, especially after Cork's result against Limerick.

I had personally written Cork off under Kingston (and I thought their Championship journey last year really flattered them), but for the simple fact of the scores they've been putting up this year so far, that is very hard to combat, so it's very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Team for Sunday

Post edited by ShamNNspace on

Condolences to Henry. Hopefully the lads put in a big performance for him tomorrow in what will be a tough time for him and his clubmates

Post edited by mjp on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Will the match go ahead?

Advertisement