Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Absolutely, as has been Padraig. Silly sentiments expressed re: their performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'd disagree that Padraig Mannion has been consistent. He went from HOTY contender in 2018 to being absolutely destroyed by Suthcliffe in Parnell the following year. He's had two unimpressive years following up on that.

Was he mighty yesterday? Absolutely. Does that translate to heat of battle championship? Not in a long time.

It's very important that last night's fantastic result isn't going to give false hope. Galway didn't even immediately pull away with the free man till the last 10 and our puckout strategy is gonna hurt us in the summer.

However the showings of lads like Glennon and Monaghan give me hope that way have potential firepower this year that we missed in 2019 onwards. Add to that lads like Hastings and Fleming who aren't afraid of dirty ball and we could have lads to replace the Niall Burke's of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's very important that last night's fantastic result isn't going to give false hope

Absolutely.

People have short memories. Galway were that good in the league campaign last year that they were considered AI contenders before the championship.

They were about the 6th in the country when it came to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Robson99

Agreed, however in 2021 we were very unlucky not to beat Limerick ..... only for the nasty belt Canning got in the back and Cathal Mannion having to go off we could well have beaten them. Not saying we would have beaten Waterford in the final but we are probably still the team Limerick fear most. If we can match them with intensity and mean streak & sort out a man marker for Lynch then maybe just maybe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

this is the niall Burke that played a major part in us winning our only all Ireland in 35 years yeah ? Ya think he was a bad junior c hurler the way your commenting on him . Henry is his own man now and will sort out his own panel but I think lads that give so much for the county deserve a little more respect then some of the cheap shots thrown on here .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

What is the story with Johnny Glynn? I vaguely remember he had retired and previously was/is in NY.

Any hope of him coming back? Or what is the background on it?

Thanks

You'd want a thicker skin than to be taking to heart my point about Niall Burke not being the same level of player he was 4 years ago. Himself and Flynn deserve huge credit for 2017 but sport is ruthless and backing players based on nostalgia is only gonna end in tears. You're adding 2+2 and getting 5 there.

Nobody is saying these lads are useless, they're fantastic hurlers (even lads that will be dropped from the panel post League), but saying Niall Burke isn't what we need in the year 2022 is not a personal dig at the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

johnny glynn is living the dream in new york and new more hurling for galway.

• Advertisement

So there's 6 teams left in the Fitzgibbon/Sigerson cups and 3 are Galway clubs. Two facing each other eliminating the possiblity of 3 from 4 finalists.

The two hurling squads are almost entirely Galway, both starting line ups from their last game seemed to be 12/13 locals.

Hopefully this is the minor teams starting to filter through into college, although the U20 County is where you'd really need to see that potential come through. We've been very poor at that grade for over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Avon8

On the football side too, it's been very encouraging that the two Kelly's and Tierney have been the standout players by a distance in NUIG's run, possibly even the tournament with the exception of Clifford. You'd expect it from Sean Kelly as a well established intercounty player but great to see from the others. Tierney especially, having been comfortably the best u20 player in the province both years he played and seeing peers go on to win All Stars, can take confidence that he can reach and exceed that level if given the platform to do so. Just hope they don't get some burnout later in the year from the huge amount of games

Great win for nuig in the sigerson . Should give the young lads confidence going forward in big games . There’s no fear with a few of them which is great . Be super if we could win the hurling sat for a galway double .

Darren Morrisey done his cruciate yesterday playing for nuig supposedly . Big blow for galway Sarsfields and the player himself .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Has that been confirmed? I know it looked bad as he hobbled off. Awful news for the lad, he's had no luck with injuries the past number of seasons. This coming after he showed well as sub last Saturday v Limerick.

Well the lad that told me seemed pretty sure and he’s not prone to exaggeration . Never asked him who told him . Let’s hope he got bad information as I think Morrisey was nailed on for a corner back spot this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is Dublin vs Galway Camogie going to be streamed this weekend? Can’t find concrete info

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

I think the 3rd Kelly deserves a call up after that performance. Young Burke in the backs from Corofin looks County standard as well. Mulcahy is another defender who should be called up to have a look at.

He was away on a basketball scholarship in the states previous so likely he's only finding his feet back in football. Encouraging that he's able to perform to that level already and he may be one for a call up shortly. Not that I'm a basketball expert but it is evident in all 3 Kelly's, the running lines they take and their handling skills are all top notch. It's very exciting in the case of Paul that he's probably ahead in his progression than where Sean was at the same age, given the player Sean's gone on to become. We're very lucky to have them. Great attitude on them also

• Advertisement

Concannon, Morrissey, Flynn and Shane Cooney out for the year already. Fair disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Pure arrogance by McConville, high opinion of himself. Everyone knew the dates. Doesn't argue well for any attempt at management going forward by him.

He does be on the BBC and RTE podcasts so it will be interesting to see how he tries to spin it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Win is important but I think Galway could have left a few more sigerson lads off the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Jizique

Crazy, Joyce played and won Sigerson so you would think he would know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Concannon is a top level inter County hurler. No matter how it's painted he's a massive loss. Morrissey and Shane Cooney were young up and coming lads. If nothing else they were pushing other lads around them for places. Thought Darren Morrissey was on for a big year.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Crazy from Joyce to pick these lads especially when it's home to offaly and having seen the number of injuries picked up by players over last month. It's not like he's facing Kerry or the dubs and fighting for survival in division 1.

Is he only carrying two goalies in the squad that he has named Conor flaherty on bench who will have already played 3 games on 4 days between sigerson and 2 fitzgibbon games for UL.

He better be prepared for serious criticism and abuse to come his way over the weekend.Can see from social media that the nuig players including the county lads were celebrating as they should be yesterday aswell so no drinking ban was in place atleast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Joyce went with a strong team for the FBD and has played his strongest available team in each of the NFL games thus far. Against Offaly at home was probably the ideal game to rest players and experiment. Looks like the team selections of a manager under pressure to succeed.

• Advertisement

Judging by how irrelevant the team named in the programme has been so far, I'd adopt a wait and see approach. I'd be surprised if that team started.

Joyce has hardly been hard on the players in certain situations in the past. Indeed his hands off and safety first approach during lockdown when every other team was training ended up costing us. It's a stretch far to be accusing him of burning out players when he's been accused of the opposite up to this point

Advertisement