Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭MfMan

fearruanua wrote: »
    Galways record in this competition in recent years has been pretty dismal tbh. An Spidéal won it last year for Galway for the first time since the jimmies in 2010.

Do ye think the number of senior teams in galway goes against us in the intermediate provincial competition?

Monivea/Abbey rather unlucky a few years back; were beaten by a point by Westport in Castlebar in a good contest (and not helped by a couple of dubious ref. decisions). Westport went on to win it out. Small margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I'm an advocate for reducing the number of senior teams in the county but i thought the 3 groups of 6 worked well this year. There were loads of different permutations right up to the last round of matches.

Yeah, the permutations were interesting in last round. However, there was quite a large gap between the first 2 group games & the last 3. There were league games in between but not sure it's great to have such a gap in championship.

3 going down next year will be dangerous territory for a lot of teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah, the permutations were interesting in last round. However, there was quite a large gap between the first 2 group games & the last 3. There were league games in between but not sure it's great to have such a gap in championship.

Will be very, very interesting

Three out of Spiddal, Ceathru Rua, Bearna, Caherlistrane would be my initial favourites to drop.

The likes of Milltown and St James's are actually probably better off they had a bad season this year, as they'll be 100% focused and wary.

Its perhaps "safer" teams like St Michaels and Monivea who if they went on a bad run might find it hard to dig themselves out, who could be dark horses

I reckon the two promoted sides should be ok, they'll put absolutely everything into year 1 senior

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I wonder how it will work?? bottom two in each group into 3 relegation final matches??

I wonder how it will work?? bottom two in each group into 3 relegation final matches??

I'd say it'll be bottom 2 in each group into 2 relegation groups of 3.

Bottom team in each relegation group go down and playoff between 2nd in each group to join them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

That's for the summary earlier of Outherard!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm an advocate for reducing the number of senior teams in the county but i thought the 3 groups of 6 worked well this year. There were loads of different permutations right up to the last round of matches.

Going to four groups of four means they'll be able to play off the group stage over 3 rounds. Groups of Six need five rounds. That's the biggest benefit I can see from reducing it down.

jr86 wrote: »
    I'd say it'll be bottom 2 in each group into 2 relegation groups of 3.

Bottom team in each relegation group go down and playoff between 2nd in each group to join them

Probably fairer alright. at least you'll get a second chance if you lose your first relegation match

Probably fairer alright. at least you'll get a second chance if you lose your first relegation match

I'd say that'll be the idea alright

Its an unorthodox method but I suppose with the 16 teams it'll be very straightforward from there on

Will be very, very interesting

Three out of Spiddal, Ceathru Rua, Bearna, Caherlistrane would be my initial favourites to drop.

The likes of Milltown and St James's are actually probably better off they had a bad season this year, as they'll be 100% focused and wary.

Its perhaps "safer" teams like St Michaels and Monivea who if they went on a bad run might find it hard to dig themselves out, who could be dark horses

I reckon the two promoted sides should be ok, they'll put absolutely everything into year 1 senior
    my picks would probably be

Bearna haven't won a championship match in a ridiculous amount of years. I think it's 5. So unless they change their ways they'll probably be involved in relegation again next year.
    Having said that they were unlucky in a few matches this year. they should have won the two games they drew against salthill and michaels.

Carraroe were lucky this year to draw leitir mór in the relegation. any other team and would have been in trouble.

Caherlistrane. just seem to have been struggling for most of the year. bane being sadly forced into retirement was and is a massive loss to the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Any more news on the Galway Hurling manager? I presume it will be sorted out before the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Any more news on the Galway Hurling manager? I presume it will be sorted out before the end of this month.

When is the next county board meeting.
    Its very late to still have no manger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Good interview with PJ on Off The Ball earlier today....

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/padraic-joyce-galway-922169

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Heard there were 2 limerick men in running for the hurling job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Wonder has mulqueen got it and they are holding off until the county final.

Paddy Power has stopped taking bets on it so it must be known by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Limerick’s Shane O’Neill has the hurling job. Should be announced tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Examiner saying O'Neill has it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Shane O Neil didn’t see that coming at all

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Clubs have to ratify him.... Could we have another twist in the road?

Toplink wrote: »
    Clubs have to ratify him.... Could we have another twist in the road?

Can't see too many issues

A committee was set up to appoint the new manager, including two senior players. Reckon the clubs will be happy to go along with their decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Can't see too many issues

A committee was set up to appoint the new manager, including two senior players. Reckon the clubs will be happy to go along with their decision

Who were the two senior players?

sasta le wrote: »
    Shane O Neil didn’t see that coming at all

No harm imo, if it transpires - a fresh voice with no prejudices

No media circus week in, week out that would come with the likes of Davy.

While Larkin & Forde would have brought continuity, it'd be impossible for them to not have built up some emotional attachment to certain players at this stage. Change is no harm

Hopefully if O'Neill gets it he's not afraid to make some hard decisions. Wouldn't mind seeing him going back to the Cunningham 2012 model, bring in a raft of under 21s for experience and put some of the late 20s/early 30s squad players out to pasture

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Who were the two senior players?

David Burke and Padraic Mannion were the two mentioned anyway. I'm sure a certain other big name has been at least consulted though, lets be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

David Burke and Padraic Mannion were the two mentioned anyway. I'm sure a certain other big name has been at least consulted though, lets be honest!

It'd be amazing if that other big name (we all know who that is) hadn't a major input into it as well as mannion and Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Interesting to hear Joyce on Off the Ball repeating that his aim for 2020 is to win the All-Ireland. Targeting success is the right attitude even if it might seem far fetched right now.

Might sell a few more season tickets anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

RMAOK wrote: »
    It'd be amazing if that other big name (we all know who that is) hadn't a major input into it as well as mannion and Burke.

Lets hope O Neil is strong enough not to allow the tail wag the dog..

So county final won't be televised Sunday

GBFM will have to do

If it was in Athenry I'd be there with bells on, but the hassle of going into Salthill, and the lack of atmosphere - forget it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Had heard a rumour that Ollie Canning would be going in as selector with O’Neill but from looking at thread, it hasn’t been mentioned yet anyway I take it? Mightn’t be true at all of course

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I was hoping for a native Galway man for the hurling.
    Been trying to think of recent all Ireland winning managers from outside the winning counties and can't think of any.
    Even going back to the noughties Kerry, Cork, Tyrone, Dublin, Donegal have all had native managers. Same in hurling. Are we the last all Ireland winning county with a manager from outside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭MfMan

I was hoping for a native Galway man for the hurling.
    Been trying to think of recent all Ireland winning managers from outside the winning counties and can't think of any.
    Even going back to the noughties Kerry, Cork, Tyrone, Dublin, Donegal have all had native managers. Same in hurling. Are we the last all Ireland winning county with a manager from outside?

Michael Bond, Eamonn Cregan both with Offaly.

Advertisement