Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Home Truths!?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It most certainly is harmful. The only sensible choice is to not drink any alcohol if want to be health. Have a coffee or a water if you go to the pub. But better off not going at all and staying away from the whole alcohol environment.
    This idea that one drink is OK is disgraceful. There is no safe level of alcohol.

www.theguardian.com/society/2018/aug/23/no-healthy-level-of-alcohol-consumption-says-major-study

That's a disgraceful attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Every nothern Atlantic rock has a problem.

Iceland and the Faroes, Britain and Ireland.

It's all we have up here, our weather is terrible and the booze makes us feel better.

These are the lives we were born into. We had no choice in the matter.

Now I'm off to the early house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It's all we have up here, our weather is terrible and the booze makes us feel better.

It doesnt really though. Feeling better is only a temporary illusion, like for the heroin addict when he injects.
    Overall, it does us harm, and we would all ve better off if it were rooted out of our society completely.

It doesnt really though. Feeling better is only a temporary illusion, like for the heroin addict when he injects.
    Overall, it does us harm, and we would all ve better off if it were rooted out of our society completely.

And do what then? What of the normal people who enjoy it and don't let it cause a problem for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It doesnt really though. Feeling better is only a temporary illusion, like for the heroin addict when he injects. Overall, it does us harm, and we would all ve better off if it were rooted out of our society completely.

Mind altering substances will always be here, they will never be rooted out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

But some of us want that feeling even if it's only fleeting.

What happens in the end doesn't matter, we don't want to live to 90 , we're trying to get out of here as soon as possible and enjoy ourselves along the way.

To me this is beautiful.

I don't understand the thought process that leads people to think drinking spirits is somehow so much worse than drinking pints. It's in the OP, and I've heard plenty of people talk about drinking 8 pints or a bottle or two of wine like it was nothing yet express horror at the thought of someone drinking spirits. Alcohol is alcohol. There's no fecking difference.

It's because to get ****ed ya drink spirits.
    The other thing is relative strength. 6 500ml cans of 4% beer is 120ml of alcohol. You'd get that much in a 350ml bottle of vodka. The vodka is gonna get you much drunker. At the same time alcohol is alcohol which has to be filtered so beer does more damage than people assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Every few months a thread like his comes along... and every few months people need to be reminded that if you grew up in Ireland, your generation had a bigger drinking problem than the youth of today at their age.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Every few months a thread like his comes along... and every few months people need to be reminded that if you grew up in Ireland, your generation had a bigger drinking problem than the youth of today at their age.

What are you on about? I never had a drinking problem nor did anyone belonging to me, yet we all drink. You seem to be lumping me and many others into your massive generalisation. If some other people have a control problem with drinking then that's their ****ing problem, not mine.

Patww79 wrote: »
    What are you on about? I never had a drinking problem nor did anyone belonging to me, yet we all drink. You seem to be lumping me and many others into your massive generalisation. If some other people have a control problem with drinking then that's their ****ing problem, not mine.

Pat... read again.

YOUR GENERATION. NOT YOU SPECIFICALLY.

No need to jump to get offended.

• Advertisement

Pat... read again.

YOUR GENERATION. NOT YOU SPECIFICALLY.

No need to jump to get offended.

There are no GENERATIONS when it comes to this. Some individuals have issues, some individuals don't. The whole 'society' everyone-is-the-same attitude is massively offensive to me, no jumping required.

What needs to happen is all these know-all pricks who don't want to drink should just not drink, and **** off and leave the rest of us alone. Why are they determined to try ruin things for everyone from their high horse? People need to look after their own house and stop peering over walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There are no GENERATIONS when it comes to this. Some individuals have issues, some individuals don't. The whole 'society' everyone-is-the-same attitude is massively offensive to me, no jumping required.

What needs to happen is all these know-all pricks who don't want to drink should just not drink, and **** off and leave the rest of us alone. Why are they determined to try ruin things for everyone from their high horse? People need to look after their own house and stop peering over walls.

The op suggested that binge drinking is new. It isn’t. That’s all billy was saying.

Anybody who drinks, has a problem with drinking.
    They are damaging their own health, putting at risk their lives and the lives of others, providing a very bad lifestyle example to the young, normalising the use of harmful mood altering drugs, and despite the revenue raised from the drinks industry, not at all paying their way for the costs their habit burdens society with, particulary an already extremely stretched healthcare system, which could do without this mass, self-inflicted, damage and request for care.

Pat, I never once referred to you specifically nor even mildly implied as much - statistics are typically gathered on a generational basis and have been for a long, long time. If a 20 year old made that kind of complaint on Twitter there would be a thread here on AH about it and "today's snowflake generation" by the end of the day.

People have to pay the fallout for alcohol (and general substance) abuse by way of their taxes, so it is only right that the abuse levels of these substances is looked at; thankfully they are and for a good two decades have been in decline in relation to alcohol, particularly among younger generations, so the thread is indeed pointless.

But of course there are generations when it comes to drinking culture, which is why we are seeing a reduction in young people's alcohol in this generation, as compared with previous ones:

https://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/health-features/young-people-in-ireland-are-drinking-less-alcohol-than-their-parents-and-this-could-be-the-reason-why-35831374.html
    Despite much hand wringing about teenagers getting sozzled, they are also drinking much less than they were two decades ago.

The ESPAD survey of 15 to 16-year-old shows that alcohol use has plummeted by 48pc in Ireland since 1995, while binge drinking has dropped by 40pc.

This surge in teenage sobriety seems to have coincided with the arrival of the social media age, and has also been accompanied by a decline in smoking.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/irish-teen-drinking-at-a-low-in-european-table-for-alcohol-use-422028.html
    An analysis of ESPAD surveys over the last 20 years show that cigarette smoking among Irish 15- to 16-years olds has more than halved, with significant falls in alcohol and cannabis.

Irish figures for lifetime use (consumption at least once) show:

Cigarette smoking has fallen from the highs of 74% in both 1995 and 1999 to just 32% in 2015;
    Alcohol consumption has dropped from the highs of 92% between 1995 and 2003 to 74% in 2015;
    Cannabis consumption fell from 39% in 2003 to 20% in 2007 and to 18% in 2011, rising slightly to 19% in 2015;
    Ecstasy consumption fell from a high of 9% in 1995 to a low of 2% in 2011, rising to 4% in 2015;
    Cocaine rose from 2% in 1995 to a height of 4% in 2007, falling slightly to 3% in 2011 and 2015;
    Inhalant use has dropped from a high of 22% in 1999 to a low of 9% in 2011, rising to 11% in 2015.

Anybody who drinks, has a problem with drinking.
    They are damaging their own health, putting at risk their lives and the lives of others, providing a very bad lifestyle example to the young, normalising the use of harmful mood altering drugs, and despite the revenue raised from the drinks industry, not at all paying their way for the costs their habit burdens society with, particulary an already extremely stretched healthcare system, which could do without this mass, self-inflicted, damage and request for care.
    Now to be fair, even as someone who rarely drinks, that is quite OTT. In an earlier post you suggested people drink coffee instead (something I drink a lot of) - but coffee is also a drug, is also mood altering, and can be bad for both your physical and mental health if you abuse it. I would be certain the caffeine I have taken over the last 10 years has done more damage (even if only minuscule) to me than the alcohol I have taken over that period.

People are not ruining their lives by taking in alcohol in moderation, just as they are not by taking caffeine in moderation. The same is true of cannabis and a range of other substances (not all though, obvious on being that I'm also a smoker and absolutely those are nothing but bad for you), the problem is not use but rather abuse. And thankfully alcohol abuse has decreased quite sharply in Ireland over the last twenty years.

Clearly alcohol has be be subject to the same campaign that informed people of the damage that smoking does, and that it disappear from general view, and while not impeding people from drinking, that they bexome social pariahs like smokers. Leading to a healthier and safer world for all.

From todays Indo if you need any more :i

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/alcohol-deaths-world-health-organisation-drinking-europe-africa-beer-wine-spirits-a8550166.html

Its a scourge, and nothing less than

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Clearly alcohol has be be subject to the same campaign that informed people of the damage that smoking does, and that it disappear from general view, and while not impeding people from drinking, that they bexome social pariahs like smokers. Leading to a healthier and safer world for all.

From todays Indo if you need any more :i

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/alcohol-deaths-world-health-organisation-drinking-europe-africa-beer-wine-spirits-a8550166.html

Its a scourge, and nothing less than.

You are a troll of course (clues in the name), so hard to know what you really think.

I barely drink these days, however the stats on the moderate drinking causing problems weren’t, when you dug into the weeds, very convincing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You are a troll of course (clues in the name), so hard to know what you really think.

I barely drink these days, however the stats on the moderate drinking causing problems weren’t, when you dug into the weeds, very convincing.

I have to admit that I am unsure if he is just providing a contrary voice for the sake of argument or if he is trying to get a rise out of people by deliberately posting inflammatory comments. Maybe a bit of both. It's definitely true to form.
    One thing I am sure of, he isn't making an argument for points he himself passionately believes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Are you gonna slag me off now or are you gonna listen,. Are you gonna make excuses for your cool parenting, OR ARE YOU GONNA TAKE MY POST SERIOUS!?!?

Anyway I feel you are listening now(reading my post)
    Just watching Late Late repeat and we have a few 'Z' listers having a chat with Ryan. Alcohol consumption in ireland just popped up and the girl in the middle does not drink and is constantly making excuses to friends, aquantences even family etc for why she doesn't drink, , even as far as girl friends asking her if she's pregnant!
    I work weekends and I see the total absolute shocking over consumption of alcohol among young people (I really couldn't give a foook about anyone over 30 who is still at it)these 'kids' are drinking for eg:-Vodka from the minute they enter a pub to the minute they leave a club constantly the whole night.. I mean it's absolutely SHOCKING.. Back in the day if we had 2 LTRs of cider in between pints we were considered mad lol etc.... Stephanie (just got her name)even mentioned liver disease facts about young people in Ireland are at a level that only was visible(not to many years ago) in long term drinkers hitting their 60s70s...
    You do realise by LETTING your kids drink eg: whiskeys, vodkas, gins(all found in shots)etc etc that one day they will wake up looking for a drink before breakfast....
    So don't think it's cool to let your kids drink,.. stop them as much as you can.

What else are we to use to make us curl up in the foetal position on the kitchen floor spooning with the dog while entirely naked.

You cant start **** furiously and sobbing uncontrollably for no reason in front of your mother in law while sober?

The
    "Here in this earthly vale of tears,
    There would be nothing but toil and misery,
    Did not the stalk bear wine"
    attitude is more indicative of the negative effect alcohol has on some peoples lives, than a restorative one.
    Were it not for alcohol, they would probably find alternative pursuits, that would have a truly beneficial outcome for them.
    A person considering alcohol a good thing in their lives, by definition, has problems with alcohol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement