Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Home Truths!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

So many posters up at all hours of the morning. Are any of you Batman?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Alcohol consumption is falling here in comparison to other countries.

Meanwhile our elected representatives refuse to address realistic answers to abuse of alcohol while drafting legislation designed to prop up the pub trade.

If you have issues or a bad past with alcohol, you have my every sympathy but address it in your own life without lecturing others or cheerleading harebrained punitive legislation (that punishes everybody regardless of their relationship with alcohol) at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Alcohol, the only drug you have to justify not taking.
    Alcohol, the only drug in the world that if you don't take it you have a problem with it.

It's a socially accepted psychoactive drug. It's not a drink, it's a drug that is delivered via a liquid. If everyone is doing it then no one has a problem. It's like a crab mentality. Alcohol as a drug is a wolf in sheep's clothing but it generates enormous revenue in duties and so there is a vested interest at a private and public level for it's continual consumption which muddy's the water in addressing the alcohol problem.

If you go out on a night out and are seeing 'young' people getting **** faced then that certainly is not representative of all young people. There is a growing attitude to drinking less and we're gradually realizing that drinking what our bodies effectively see as a toxin is not, shock horror, actually good for you. The same vested interests will understandably fight against it. If people were to die, then they have the fall back of pointing to personal responsibilities yet for me a good first step would be to prohibit advertising of alcohol which normalizes a very addictive and very dangerous DRUG.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

valoren wrote: »
    Alcohol, the only drug you have to justify not taking.
    Alcohol, the only drug in the world that if you don't take it you have a problem with it.

You forgetting tea?

Tell most Irish auld dears you don't drink tea and they'd look at you like you said you want to be a rent boy.

Which is only right because tea is delicious, as is beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It's not about letting your kids drink or not drink , it's about teaching them about safely and responsibly using alcohol , look for the majority (Not All) they are going to go to college and they are going to want to experience it for themselves and go out with friends , meet girls / boys etc that's part of life and it's more how you teach them to manage it and warn them of the dangers...

I come from a family of bad alcoholics on my mothers side so myself and my brother seen what it does to people and knew we were genetically at risk of it when we grew up , I drank a fair bit in my twenties ...more than I should have and I done a lot of stupid stuff , when I felt myself at risk of going down the road I knew I was I completely curtailed it and focused on my career and later family...I now drink lightly every 2 weeks or so...my brother drinks about once a year.

I've seen a lot of friends now in their 30's who grew up with parents from both perspective and you know what? The one's who had the parents who never 'let' them drink or go out and banned everything etc now have the kids who drink and lash out the most , the one's who thought them about it and allowed them to have a few drinks in the house or the shed etc their kids never really went into heavy drinking they just took it up normally and drank normally, some didn't fancy it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Alcohol is bread into nearly everyone in Ireland,if you have a cold take a hot whiskey if you're having a Christian most go to the pub for a party alcohol!
    Christmas party's alcohol!
    Birthday parties alcohol!
    Even kids parties
    Weddings...
    Every bloody event in Ireland end's up with alcohol been consumed it's seen as a normal part of life.
    It won't change till people change their acceptance of it in every part of social life.
    There is a place for alcohol don't get me wrong people just need to wake up and see the danger's.
    As a smoker I have seen a huge drop in people smoking the education has work with this.
    Hopefully I will kick the habit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No.
    I'm in the THICK of it on the streets.
    I'm not hating. My hate has disapated and turned to sympathy for these 'kids' and their future.

Ah, street sweeper??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

bigpink wrote: »
    Thought alcohol consumption is hugely down?
    Pubs dead and people mad in fitness

Closed one off licence near me and opened a gym. Also I'm nearly 40 and I think the going out culture has changed a lot when I was going out. A lot of sloppy drunks when I started out(myself included at times back in the day :) ). Hardly see that now where I am anyways. Think id be more worried bout drugs to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP. I thought of you and this thread when I read this today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0917/994337-louisburgh/

A local story here..

WHY did the family not take the car keys?

Two young lives lost and families devastated because these kids cannot drink or refrain from drinking responsibly and insist on driving when visibly unfit - and no one will actively prevent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No.
    I'm in the THICK of it on the streets.
    I'm not hating. My hate has disapated and turned to sympathy for these 'kids' and their future.

Eminem lyric?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You do realise by LETTING your kids drink eg: whiskeys, vodkas, gins(all found in shots)etc etc that one day they will wake up looking for a drink before breakfast....

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

whiskeys, vodkas, gins(all found in shots)

Shots have whiskeys, vodkas and gins in them?? I had no idea. No wonder I'm drunk all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I don't understand the thought process that leads people to think drinking spirits is somehow so much worse than drinking pints. It's in the OP, and I've heard plenty of people talk about drinking 8 pints or a bottle or two of wine like it was nothing yet express horror at the thought of someone drinking spirits. Alcohol is alcohol. There's no fecking difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Graces7 wrote: »
    They hit the wall several times, and drove into the river twice before the river swept them away. Well, good. Thankfully they died but no-one else did. Too many times you hear of some drunk wiping out an innocent family.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't understand the thought process that leads people to think drinking spirits is somehow so much worse than drinking pints. It's in the OP, and I've heard plenty of people talk about drinking 8 pints or a bottle or two of wine like it was nothing yet express horror at the thought of someone drinking spirits. Alcohol is alcohol. There's no fecking difference.

A shot or pint is no harm to anyone. Drinking lots of pints will make you p1ss a lot and get a bit sick at worse. Drinking lots of spirits can give you alcohol poisoning.
    Long term shots or pints has the same consequences, short term shots are way more dangerous than pints. That's the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

the_syco wrote:
    They hit the wall several times, and drove into the river twice before the river swept them away. Well, good. Thankfully they died but no-one else did. Too many times you hear of some drunk wiping out an innocent family.

Shameful post.

No to illegal drugs! Yes to legal ones! :rolleyes:

https://vfipubs.ie/news/latest-news/donegal-publicans-support-garda-drugs-campaign/

"The message this campaign sends out is clear – there is no welcome for drug taking in our pubs" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

https://vfipubs.ie/news/latest-news/donegal-publicans-support-garda-drugs-campaign/

"The message this campaign sends out is clear – there is no welcome for drug taking in our pubs" :pac:
    According to VFI Donegal Chairman Martin Gibbons .... "The message this campaign sends out is clear – there is no welcome for drug taking in our pubs.”

Oh deary deary me...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Well yes, exactly. What's your point? That's like rolling your eyes at being allowed to legally ride someone but not being allowed to illegally ride them.

Legal things allowed, illegal not. I don't see what the big revelation about that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Patww79 wrote: »
    Well yes, exactly. What's your point? That's like rolling your eyes at being allowed to legally ride someone but not being allowed to illegally ride them.

Legal things allowed, illegal not. I don't see what the big revelation about that is.

Because coming from vintners its a ridiculous staement.

"We like the good legal, mind and mood altering drugs that cause serious longterm illness which people can get horribly addicted to causing harm to themselves, their families and others...... that we also happen to sell, but those illegal bad drugs with the exact same side effects, no we don't like them, they should stay illegal"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ZX7R wrote: »
    if you're having a Christian most go to the pub

Are you talking, like, in the biblical sense?

Patww79 wrote: »

There is a double think involved. While it's a good thing to discourage illegality it's just interesting that the campaign looks to leverage one drug's legality to frame a message that vilifies other drugs and their (current) illegal status. Two sides of the same coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Drinking is legal once you're over 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Are you talking, like, in the biblical sense?

Yes ,
    Please excuse my spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

There is a double think involved. While it's a good thing to discourage illegality it's just interesting that the campaign looks to leverage one drug's legality to frame a message that vilifies other drugs and their (current) illegal status. Two sides of the same coin.

No it still comes back to illegal drugs are evil and legal drugs are fine, it really is that simple.

Ouch!! wrote: »
    If young wans weren't binge drinking then most of us would never get laid.

You anti-drink crusaders never think of that, do you?

The art of conversation must belong to a bygone era.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

She can't ride a conversation

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Continued alcohol advertising at sports events, MUP to fight against supermarkets selling "cheap" booze and supporting the Gardai in their gallant fight against "evil" marijuana.
    Must be nice and cozy in the pockets of the vintners federation. And probably pays for a few cars, holidays and houses for TDs.
    Shambags.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Graces7 wrote: »
    OP. I thought of you and this thread when I read this today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0917/994337-louisburgh/

A local story here..

WHY did the family not take the car keys?

Two young lives lost and families devastated because these kids cannot drink or refrain from drinking responsibly and insist on driving when visibly unfit - and no one will actively prevent them.

They were in their 20s - not kids. Evolution in action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Del2005 wrote: »
    A shot or pint is no harm to anyone.

It most certainly is harmful. The only sensible choice is to not drink any alcohol if want to be health. Have a coffee or a water if you go to the pub. But better off not going at all and staying away from the whole alcohol environment.
    This idea that one drink is OK is disgraceful. There is no safe level of alcohol.

www.theguardian.com/society/2018/aug/23/no-healthy-level-of-alcohol-consumption-says-major-study

Advertisement