Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Home Truths!?

Options
  • 18-09-2018 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭

Are you gonna slag me off now or are you gonna listen,. Are you gonna make excuses for your cool parenting, OR ARE YOU GONNA TAKE MY POST SERIOUS!?!?

Anyway I feel you are listening now(reading my post)
    Just watching Late Late repeat and we have a few 'Z' listers having a chat with Ryan. Alcohol consumption in ireland just popped up and the girl in the middle does not drink and is constantly making excuses to friends, aquantences even family etc for why she doesn't drink, , even as far as girl friends asking her if she's pregnant!
    I work weekends and I see the total absolute shocking over consumption of alcohol among young people (I really couldn't give a foook about anyone over 30 who is still at it)these 'kids' are drinking for eg:-Vodka from the minute they enter a pub to the minute they leave a club constantly the whole night.. I mean it's absolutely SHOCKING.. Back in the day if we had 2 LTRs of cider in between pints we were considered mad lol etc.... Stephanie (just got her name)even mentioned liver disease facts about young people in Ireland are at a level that only was visible(not to many years ago) in long term drinkers hitting their 60s70s...
    You do realise by LETTING your kids drink eg: whiskeys, vodkas, gins(all found in shots)etc etc that one day they will wake up looking for a drink before breakfast....
    So don't think it's cool to let your kids drink,.. stop them as much as you can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think you need to lay off the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Great input.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Great input.
    Sorry.

It's SHOCKING, everyone is a TERRIBLE parent and should all be ashamed of themselves for killing their KIDS. This country is a waste land of degenerate alcoholics, shots gave GIN AND VODKA IN THEM IN THE NIGHTCLUBS!!!!!

Is that more the tone you were going for?

Sorry.

It's SHOCKING, everyone is a TERRIBLE parent and should all be ashamed of themselves for killing their KIDS. This country is a waste land of degenerate alcoholics, shots gave GIN AND VODKA IN THEM IN THE NIGHTCLUBS!!!!!

Is that more the tone you were going for?

I'm way beyond your in-denial attitude towards young peoples drinking habits,. I only respond to factual honest truthful comments.. comments that make sense!?
    With all due respect I hope you never have to deal with alcoholism in your family...
    Ps: I myself am basically t total.

I'm way beyond your in-denial attitude towards young peoples drinking habits,. I only respond to factual honest truthful comments.. comments that make sense!? With all due respect I hope you never have to deal with alcoholism in your family... Ps: I myself am basically t total.

Do you work in a bar?

• Advertisement

Do you work in a bar?

No.
    I'm in the THICK of it on the streets.
    I'm not hating. My hate has disapated and turned to sympathy for these 'kids' and their future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rather than having kids and having to stop them from drinking, I'm not having kids and drinking instead :)
    That'll teach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Back in the day if we had 2 LTRs of cider in between pints we were considered mad lol etc....
    Just how old are you?

You do realise by LETTING your kids drink eg: whiskeys, vodkas, gins(all found in shots)etc etc that one day they will wake up looking for a drink before breakfast....
    Actually, if you look at our european neighbours, they let their kids drink before they hit 18. So when they hit 18, they don't "have to" drink as much as they can, because they've already done that; with their parents. It's now longer some massive rebel thing. The majority of people I know whose parents allowed them to have a drink before they were 18 didn't go mad when they hit 18, and even those who did, they knew their limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

the_syco wrote: »
    Just how old are you?

Actually, if you look at our european neighbours, they let their kids drink before they hit 18. So when they hit 18, they don't "have to" drink as much as they can, because they've already done that; with their parents. It's now longer some massive rebel thing. The majority of people I know whose parents allowed them to have a drink before they were 18 didn't go mad when they hit 18, and even those who did, they knew their limit.

You are distorting the continental system. A case of ggs.. "Grass is greener syndrome."

Young folk are allowed to have eg a glass of wine with dinner. There is no comparison with the drinking of spirits.

And teen alcoholism and adult alcoholism are a great problem there also . Just better parenting and control over the children.

Just ireland does it louder and better..

No.
    I'm in the THICK of it on the streets.
    I'm not hating. My hate has disapated and turned to sympathy for these 'kids' and their future.

What do you do?

• Advertisement

Soundbar wrote: »
    People drink significantly less today than in previous years, alcohol consumption per person peaked in 2001 and dropped significantly since then.
    only cos we got started on the coke-aine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

OP. I would revisit my posting style if I was you. Your point is been lost in the agressive tone and random capitalisation. Drinking too much is undoubtedly a problem for young people in Ireland. Much more education is needed for the population in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

OP. I would revisit my posting style if I was you. Your point is been lost in the agressive tone and random capitalisation. Drinking too much is undoubtedly a problem for young people in Ireland. Much more education is needed for the population in general.

We ve been doing this educational thing for a long time, is it really working? I think I might be more concerned about the other chemicals young people are throwing into themselves, along with the alcohol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Measured debate, critical analysis and well thought out, intelligent solutions are NOT how these things are done in Ireland.
    Everyone knows the only way to combat this problem is to ignore all stats, engage in hysterical shouting and have such groundbreaking programs like "closing every second checkout to alcohol". I mean wooooow, that really showed them, didn't it? I'm sure having to go to another till must at least have halved alcohol consumption! Wow, I'm still in shock over what a brilliant move that was! :rolleyes:
    And any other measure by government just has to be a cynical move to protect their buddies and cronies in the pub trade and the VFI.
    If people drink less now, it is because they themselves took responsibility, because the government is useless, inept, corrupt and infested with cronies and morons, so nothing of any use will come from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Measured debate, critical analysis and well thought out, intelligent solutions are NOT how these things are done in Ireland. Everyone knows the only way to combat this problem is to ignore all stats, engage in hysterical shouting and have such groundbreaking programs like "closing every second checkout to alcohol". I mean wooooow, that really showed them, didn't it? I'm sure having to go to another till must at least have halved alcohol consumption! Wow, I'm still in shock over what a brilliant move that was! And any other measure by government just has to be a cynical move to protect your buddies and cronies in the pub trade and the VFI. If people drink less now, it is because they themselves took responsibility, because the government is useless, inept, corrupt and infested with cronies and morons, so nothing of any use will come from them.

Even though you make some good points, this one is a lot more complicated, the power of the lobbyists can never be underestimated, and phony baloney economic models and systems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Are you gonna slag me off now or are you gonna listen,. Are you gonna make excuses for your cool parenting, OR ARE YOU GONNA TAKE MY POST SERIOUS!?!?

Any proper proof of this or do you hope it will just be accepted because CAPS LOCK

since

I only respond to factual honest truthful comments...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thought alcohol consumption is hugely down?
    Pubs dead and people mad in fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Anyone under 30 is abusing drugs, usually synthetic.
    Over 30's.. generally alcohol, maybe weed/coke.

The younger generation don't see the attraction of alcohol.. it's too expensive, a cheap pill will get them similar effects for a lot cheaper.

Plus the drugs are easier to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Just watching Late Late repeat and we have a few 'Z' listers having a chat with Ryan. Alcohol consumption in ireland just popped up and the girl in the middle does not drink and is constantly making excuses to friends, aquantences even family etc for why she doesn't drink, , even as far as girl friends asking her if she's pregnant!
    I work weekends and I see the total absolute shocking over consumption of alcohol among young people (I really couldn't give a foook about anyone over 30 who is still at it)these 'kids' are drinking for eg:-Vodka from the minute they enter a pub to the minute they leave a club constantly the whole night.. I mean it's absolutely SHOCKING.. Back in the day if we had 2 LTRs of cider in between pints we were considered mad lol etc.... Stephanie (just got her name)even mentioned liver disease facts about young people in Ireland are at a level that only was visible(not to many years ago) in long term drinkers hitting their 60s70s...
    So don't think it's cool to let your kids drink,.. stop them as much as you can.

You represent everything that's wrong with the world now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Someone spiked on of my 10 vodkas and 5 tequilas a couple of weeks ago.

Definitely spiked.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Someone spiked on of my 10 vodkas and 5 tequilas a couple of weeks ago.

Definitely spiked.

I was in a bar last weekend, and the bsatard bartender spiked my whiskey with ICE.

Baxtard.... I wasn't able to stand up afterwards,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Definitely binge drinking among girls has increased, even among young lads the concentration of alcohol consumed has increased.
    The result will be liver disease for many.

_Brian wrote: »
    Definitely binge drinking among girls has increased, even among young lads the concentration of alcohol consumed has increased.
    The result will be liver disease for many.

I think it's just more visible now.

Kids (14 to 17) just don't give siht ., they know their rights, and like all kids, they don't realise the consequences, yet they believe they are untouchable.

#Snowflake_Generation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

the_syco wrote: »
    Just how old are you?

That's a bit of a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Raise the price, that’ll be the silver bullet!

I wonder if any consumer of Linden Village is not a raging alco. The down and outs love it but I have never seen a regular joe drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

If you don't work in a bar then how are you monitoring peoples drinking so closely?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ah Jaysus I thought this was a thread about havin a few cans at home

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Or else buy your children beer or cider so that they aren't going out buying the most amount of alcohol for the cheapest price.

I was watching a programme about the frat houses in the US and how the clamp down on underage drinking had increased the problem with underage drinking. Back before the clampdown they used to have keg parties and for most people they get sick if they drink too much beer. Now because of the clampdown they are drinking spirits and are having the problem you highlighted.

As has been shown every time prohibition is tried it doesn't work when people want to get their hands on mind altering substances and creates bigger problems with the criminal networks formed to supply the product

Are you gonna slag me off now or are you gonna listen.

It is curious to me that you feel like the two are mutually exclusive. The material to "slag" you - which I suspect or fear is just your word for any level of robust disagreement with your position - comes very much from listening to you and your over simplification of the complex issue.

One issue that comes into play when you are Nannying at people about how they should live the good life - is that you may be better off demonstrating that you are in a position to claim to be doing so. That if only we were more like you - we would some how reap the benefit.

However you appear - on a reading of your post - to be sitting around watching re-runs of the Late Late Show with your free time in life while making screechy proclamations in posts at 3 or 4am in the morning.

If that is the representation on offer for how one spends their free time when being "T total" as you call it - then I fear you are more likely to be sending people the message that they would be much better off getting legless drunk than listen to you or be like you or take advice from you on the matter.
    You do realise by LETTING your kids drink eg: whiskeys, vodkas, gins(all found in shots)etc etc that one day they will wake up looking for a drink before breakfast.... So don't think it's cool to let your kids drink,.. stop them as much as you can.

Prohibition did not work at the level of societies - so I am baffled as to why you think it is likely to be useful at the level of parenting. I see no utility at all in recommending totalitarian parental approaches to alcohol. They seem to me likely to do nothing and perhaps even more likely to compound the issue.

Rather I would recommend a two part approach to it as a parent.

The first being the complete opposite of your recommendation in that I think it better than parents not only "let" their children drink alcohol but are in fact the first people to introduce it to them - consume it with them - and be the first people with whom the child is actively drunk. So that by the time children reach the point of consuming alcohol with friends - it has been normalised to them to the point it is not some holy grail to be attained and some right of passage into maturity or badge of honour at a social level - and they already know their own limits and responses to the drug.

The second is to take approaches to combat a genuine problem that you mention in your opening post but do not actually discuss. Which is that people who choose not to drink alcohol to excess - or at all even - are made to feel like they have to explain themselves or make excuses or even justify themselves as if they are committing some active wrong. As if the only reason some woman might choose not to drink is that she is pregnant - because nothing else makes sense. And this is something as parents we can also move to normalise and demonstrate to our children. We can enter social drinking situations with them and drink at them sometimes and refrain from it other times. The more of us as parents who do that then A) the more of our children will grow up not questioning why someone might not drink on any given occasion or at all and B) the more other adults will also get that message too so that it is not some weird event that requires explanation or justification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Timestamp 2.39am, Tuesday morning, ok.....

Irish people don't drink substantially more or less than other nations. Apart from the Finns.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement