Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula E - Gen.2

Options
2456721

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭TheChrisD


    rip Formula E in Ireland.

    First we had to suffer with two years of incompetent coverage on 3e, now it's only going to be TV broadcast on one of the major service providers in the country, and everyone else has to fork over €20 a month and have to watch on their phone. The level of idiocy in this move is baffling.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,559 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson


    I think it was only last week I praised FE for its FTA and use of youtube :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika


    http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/november/bbc-to-air-every-formula-e-race-for-201819-season-in-uk/

    Was very excited for a moment, but only one race live on actual TV, the rest online.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo


    It says it's on the red button which means it's on the FTA satellite or Freeview telly, just not the cable box versions of BBC. And if you have VirginMedia, then you'll have the sports channel.

    There's ways and means, and I think any satellite dish should be able to get that red button feed.

    -. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.



  • Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G


    astrofluff wrote: »
    It says it's on the red button which means it's on the FTA satellite or Freeview telly, just not the cable box versions of BBC. And if you have VirginMedia, then you'll have the sports channel.

    There's ways and means, and I think any satellite dish should be able to get that red button feed.

    I've used the Red Button feed for watching the snooker in the past, if you have a Sky box you can add it on the manual channels list


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco


    skipper_G wrote: »
    I've used the Red Button feed for watching the snooker in the past, if you have a Sky box you can add it on the manual channels list

    Yup, a guy explained it here https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2238958933054080&id=1655924968024149
    You can program in the red button into your skybox on other channels the cod is
    10.773
    H
    22
    5/6
    DVB-S
    QPSK


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser


    Incredibly stupid move. If they'd need to do anything at all, they could have taken traditional coverage off TV entirely and go fully Youtube (free, of course), as I'd argue the vast majority of the target audience are younger generations. Proof once again that whomever manages these things has no idea what they're doing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Inviere


    H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Incredibly stupid move. If they'd need to do anything at all, they could have taken traditional coverage off TV entirely and go fully Youtube (free, of course), as I'd argue the vast majority of the target audience are younger generations. Proof once again that whomever manages these things has no idea what they're doing.

    Yep, if it was freely available, live, on YT, I'd prob make more of an effort to watch it and try to get engaged in it. The harder it is to watch a fledgling sport like this, the more is suffers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo


    I don't mind what platform it's on as long as it's free. So for this year, that's ok it's on bbc.

    What I'm thinking might be the biggest problem is that the mid-race car swap is gone. Which means there's no mid-race drama with energy management, going a lap shorter or longer. This year's no car swap might leave us with nothing to watch until the end of the race when energy stores are depleted. The race is possibly going to be who can go the slowest and finish 1st?!?

    -. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.



  • Registered Users Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms


    astrofluff wrote: »
    I don't mind what platform it's on as long as it's free. So for this year, that's ok it's on bbc.

    What I'm thinking might be the biggest problem is that the mid-race car swap is gone. Which means there's no mid-race drama with energy management, going a lap shorter or longer. This year's no car swap might leave us with nothing to watch until the end of the race when energy stores are depleted. The race is possibly going to be who can go the slowest and finish 1st?!?

    I think they said they are going to have some Mario kart style racing elements in it. Sounds like a gimmick. I just want to see good close racing.

    Live long and Prosper

    Peace and long life.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo


    Attack Mode! :) Hopefully this will be limited, but very powerful. And I hope it'll only work like DRS and that a leader can't counter by also pushing a button.

    -. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.



  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon


    astrofluff wrote: »
    Attack Mode! :) Hopefully this will be limited, but very powerful. And I hope it'll only work like DRS and that a leader can't counter by also pushing a button.


    Would you not think being able to counter would be better. There's nothing exciting about DRS. The driver being overtaken is a sitting duck. The excitement years ago was in the race long battle. DRS isn't a bad idea but should be changed. Maybe allow use anytime the driver choses. Risk brings rewards and all that. Same for this attack mode. The tyres will regulate it's use anyway


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo


    Right so attack mode: You have to go off line, and hit certain timing beams. They're not going to tell you exactly where they are. It'll only become obvious after race start when someone finds them.

    Here's more from our friends over at Autosport:

    "An FIA statement explained that the system "will be determined at each race by the FIA, according to the special features of the circuits, one hour before the start at the latest".

    Attack mode raises a driver's power level from 200kW to 225kW once they have travelled through an off-line activation zone.

    It is intended to increase strategy and overtaking options in FE now that the championship no longer features car swaps during races."


    This will be very interesting to see being used. It is a like video game's take on a reverse-joker lap.

    The great think will be the on-screen graphics so the TV viewer can see it. This is not Formula 1, but totally different.

    -. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.



  • Registered Users Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms


    Well the new season starts this weekend.

    Live long and Prosper

    Peace and long life.



  • Registered Users Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭flazio


    And its raining.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭flazio


    It'll be live on BT Sport as well if anyone has access and so far, no sign of a geo block on YouTube.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL


    astrofluff wrote: »
    The great think will be the on-screen graphics so the TV viewer can see it. This is not Formula 1, but totally different.

    If that's the case then surely the teams will just tell the driver where it is after seeing it on the tv?

    Glad it's on TV, something to watch while the F1 & Nascar are on a break


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G


    Nice move from Massa on Vandoorne. Not a great start from Stoffel


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43


    Did I just see a woman in a veil taking a selfie?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Inviere


    Sparks43 wrote: »
    Did I just see a woman in a veil taking a selfie?

    Yep seen that too. I love the cars, but man these ‘tracks’ are shocking. Wall to wall catch fencing, it’s very claustrophobic to watch. Some decent racing I would say, but I’ve a hard time dealing with the near void of any interesting aspects of these man made street tracks.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G


    That was okay I suppose. Some decent fights, but the track is pretty dull


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika


    I thought it looked good, cars look quick, just this weird attack mode.


  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen


    I thought that was a bit of fun. Thoroughly enjoy watching FE.

    How is JEV not in F1? He's the best driver on that grid by a mile.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭TheChrisD


    Faugheen wrote: »
    How is JEV not in F1? He's the best driver on that grid by a mile.

    He was though, Toro Rosso from 2012-14, then two years as a Ferrari test driver.


  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen


    TheChrisD wrote: »
    He was though, Toro Rosso from 2012-14, then two years as a Ferrari test driver.

    You know exactly what I mean but thanks for stating the obvious.

    Honestly, what was the point of that post?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199


    Marrakesh this weekend.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo


    Coverage of race at 14:30 on BT Sport ESPN.
    Also on Virgin Media I think but I don't have that.

    -. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.



  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Inviere


    Did I hear right that Piquet Jr called Massa an amateur? The guy who deliberately crashed his car to fix a race result for the team?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo


    Werhlein still has an attitude problem! Grumpy.

    -. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM


    Fanboost is a thing (first time watching a full race live)?


Advertisement