Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Keating - Killarney

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Which clubs are they?

It would seem in that the view of the council in Killarney is that Dave Keating was wrong, the GM was wrong, the pros that turned down the job were wrong. Have they considered that they are the ones that are wrong?

Look them up online. Easy to find clubs they are/have managed.
    DK turned down a contract.
    what pros turned job down.
    GM was certainly partially to blame for the mismanagement.
    At least the new management firm have a proven track record.
    Suppose we will have to review this in 12-18 months time and see where the club is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Article in the Cork Examiner about it yesterday https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/golf/killarney-golf-club-ink-new-strategic-partnership-deal-907064.html

Synergy Golf are taking over operations at Killarney. They currently manage Grange Castle , Silloge Park and St. Margaret’s in Dublin.
    I know nothing of the Killarney situation but I know Synergy from St Margaret's and I believe they do a good job there. They run the course, the restaurant, the bar and the pro shop with their own staff. They have invested a lot in the course and the facilities and the general consensus from members is that it is vastly improved since they took over 3 years ago.
    They are however a business and therefore their job is to maximise their return on investment. So expect more societies, corporate days and less free time on timesheets.

Article in the Cork Examiner about it yesterday https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/golf/killarney-golf-club-ink-new-strategic-partnership-deal-907064.html

Synergy Golf are taking over operations at Killarney. They currently manage Grange Castle , Silloge Park and St. Margaret’s in Dublin.
    I know nothing of the Killarney situation but I know Synergy from St Margaret's and I believe they do a good job there. They run the course, the restaurant, the bar and the pro shop with their own staff. They have invested a lot in the course and the facilities and the general consensus from members is that it is vastly improved since they took over 3 years ago.
    They are however a business and therefore their job is to maximise their return on investment. So expect more societies, corporate days and less free time on timesheets.

Isn't improving income to the club the very reason for getting a management company in.
    May still be cheaper than paying a GM and pro.
    With 45 holes no fear of lack of free tee times for the members anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Isn't improving income to the club the very reason for getting a management company in.
    May still be cheaper than paying a GM and pro.
    With 45 holes no fear of lack of free tee times for the members anyway

Maybe one of the reasons. Depends on the club history, who owns it, current status, future ambitions, quality of golf expected, market, location etc
    I expect that outsourcing operations will become more the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Look them up online. Easy to find clubs they are/have managed.
    DK turned down a contract.
    what pros turned job down.
    GM was certainly partially to blame for the mismanagement.
    At least the new management firm have a proven track record.
    Suppose we will have to review this in 12-18 months time and see where the club is

Are the new management firm managing the club as well as running the shop? The clubs they are running don't seem to be in the same market as Killarney, they also seem to be mainly focused on greenkeeping and management. Where's their track record in running a shop?

You said earlier in the thread that a number of the top pros in the Irish Region applied for the job, did they not turn it down?

• Advertisement

Are the new management firm managing the club as well as running the shop? The clubs they are running don't seem to be in the same market as Killarney, they also seem to be mainly focused on greenkeeping and management. Where's their track record in running a shop?

You said earlier in the thread that a number of the top pros in the Irish Region applied for the job, did they not turn it down?

St margeret pro shop.
    I believe they are over the sales and marketing at killarney. Don't know who is over the day to day.

Don't know who was offered the job, so I don't know if lads turned it down.

Advertisement