Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Son is 16 and a few or his friends seen it and were quite freaked out by it.. I haven't see I yet so can't comment

I’d say it was moreso because some people will be expecting a marvel or comicbook feel which this is not. This really isn’t a movie for children or young adults looking for an exciting movie, it’s very heavy.

I’d say this is more like a drama showing how somebody can lose their mind in a world that ignores them and leaves them
    to be abused at all levels.
    . It’s fairly realistic with no CGI and is prob like fight club with less violence and humor.

I would be curious if they were freaked out because it’s the first time they’ve seen such a serious topic of mental health addressed with a popular character. There is nowhere to hide in a cinema so you have to sit down and suck it up. It’s also quite unnerving to see, what is normally a cartoon crazy character, have a human side. Even scarier how he was moulded by society,

I think quite often people rally against these kind of movies cause they shine a light back on society and makes them uncomfortable to think we are all in many regards part of the problem that create a lot of the atrocities that happen. People don’t just one day decide to shoot somebody or turn into a terrorist, but humanising baddies forces society to accept some responsibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You probably can compare the setting of this movie to Momento where it tries to show you the disjointed reality of the main character in such a way, you are catching up with the reality they've created for themselves and realising the reality that exists.

Everything else drives that. Its not a creepy or unsettling movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Amazing, give phoenix every award.

Also, did the soundtrack remind anyone of the dark Knight in places?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Just saw it. It is a mad film.

As someone else said above, you simply cannot compare JP to HL. They're 2 very very different roles.

Would be unfair to say anything more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

DiCaprio or Pheonix??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Loved every second of this 10/10.

I could get into comic books movies if there were all treated like this. Absolutely love the realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭ebbsy

One of the big screens greatest performances.

That was just great.

Guy Person wrote: »
    Lads, this is rated 15?? Don't judge me...my 12 year old is Joker obsessed.. always has been. Doubt I'd get into cinema with him anyway but anyone notice kids going to see it yesterday? He knows it's not a batman movie

If you have ever seen the movie Taxi Driver then that's the kind of movie this is. It's not like a Marvel movie or even like the DC Batman ones. It is gritty, grim and violent. I think 12 would be too young personally having seen the movie.

+1

Having seen its not suitable for a 12 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭CPTM

The missus hasn't watched the most recent batman trilogy (DKR) but knows a good amount about the relationship between batman and the joker. Should we watch the trilogy before watching this or is it completely independent?

• Advertisement

CPTM wrote: »
    The missus hasn't watched the most recent batman trilogy (DKR) but knows a good amount about the relationship between batman and the joker. Should we watch the trilogy before watching this or is it completely independent?

Go see it. Ten times.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watched it tonight.

Stunning movie.

Loved how the bits they didn't show were the most disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

CPTM wrote:

CPTM wrote:

This has nothing to do with those films.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

completely independent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Relikk wrote: »
    It's rated 16. My local cinema staff were actively looking at anyone that looked below that age trying to get into it, most likely due to the unwarranted media generated controversy surrounding the movie.

My 13 year-old son got turned away. After taking him home, my 16 year-old and myself went back. She’s still shaking.

Stunning movie, but so dark. I’m glad he didn’t see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

This is a masterpiece. Phoenix is incredible.

My missus didn't realise who Bruce Wayne was but didn't affect her enjoyment of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

ibFoxer wrote: »
    This is a masterpiece. Phoenix is incredible.

Couldn't agree more. This will stay with me for a long time. Absolutely stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

brilliant brilliant movie - tackles lots of issues such as mental health, abuse, and loneliness
    JP should be organising his post oscar bash!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭santana75

Went in to this with expectations firmly in check, have been burned way too many times by superhero movie hype......but I came out of this absolutley stunned. This is truly a great film. Profoundly disturbing all the same and most definitely not in the same vein as any comic book film Ive ever seen. Joaquin phoenix must have went insane during the making of this because he goes beyond acting. He is so convincing its very uncomfortable to watch as somoene is losing their mind right in front of your eyes. Gotham city is basically new york and it feels like Taxi driver/mean streets. The script is tight, theres not one line of dialogue wasted or out of place. Theres an atmosphere of impending doom about the whole thing, you just feel something very bad is gonna go down sooner or later. I think joaquin phoenix will win the oscar for this, honestly cant imagine anyone being better than this in any film this year. The whole movie is in a different class though. Hope they dont even try to make second part, this is damn near perfect and to milk it for more money would be to cheapen what is a brilliant film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Seen it earlier, good god what a movie.
    Few teenagers were laughing at parts of it, clearly weren't paying attention or didn't realise what was actually happening in it.

Fantastic movie. Grim as ****, but fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

santana75 wrote: »
    Went in to this with expectations firmly in check, have been burned way too many times by superhero movie hype......but I came out of this absolutley stunned. This is truly a great film. Profoundly disturbing all the same and most definitely not in the same vein as any comic book film Ive ever seen. Joaquin phoenix must have went insane during the making of this because he goes beyond acting. He is so convincing its very uncomfortable to watch as somoene is losing their mind right in front of your eyes. Gotham city is basically new york and it feels like Taxi driver/mean streets. The script is tight, theres not one line of dialogue wasted or out of place. Theres an atmosphere of impending doom about the whole thing, you just feel something very bad is gonna go down sooner or later. I think joaquin phoenix will win the oscar for this, honestly cant imagine anyone being better than this in any film this year. The whole movie is in a different class though. Hope they dont even try to make second part, this is damn near perfect and to milk it for more money would be to cheapen what is a brilliant film.

Yeah this movie needs to be left as it is. No sequel, no tie in with batman or DC universe. Just leave it as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its certainly getting the people out, we normally go to the Point cinema and its usually a ghost town unless there is a huge movie and this one was up there. movie will probably be profitable after the weekend.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm LOVING the fact that the a lot of the broadsheets reviewers don't get the movie at all.... Actually so ironic given the undercurrent theme of rich v poor.

The guardian actually castigates the movie for its "realist detail" and considers the chaotic anti rich revolution message as "tedious".... You couldnt make this stuff up.

Washington Post is no better.

This movie should be celebrated for exploring the themes of loneliness, apathy, sadness and mental illness in a manner which isn't gaudy or pastiche, which is quite something for a "comic book" movie.

Ultimately its a very, very sad movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm LOVING the fact that the a lot of the broadsheets reviewers don't get the movie at all.... Actually so ironic given the undercurrent theme of rich v poor.

The guardian actually castigates the movie for its "realist detail" and considers the chaotic anti rich revolution message as "tedious".... You couldnt make this stuff up.

Washington Post is no better.

This movie should be celebrated for exploring the themes of loneliness, apathy, sadness and mental illness in a manner which isn't gaudy or pastiche, which is quite something for a "comic book" movie.

Ultimately its a very, very sad movie.

Totally agree.

It’s partially because people can’t relate to Arthur and I’ve said it already , our society hates to humanise people who have caused atrocities. We try to shun them like animals to make ourselves feel better about ourselves or have an extra layer of disconnection that also absolves us of any responsibility.

The Joker is a tragedy where the failings of society led one person to really never have much of a chance of a decent or normal life. If the joker was some middle class man, like say Michael Douglas in “falling down”, there would not be uproar. And he , if I remember right, didn’t have a particularly nasty upbringing or anything remarkably bad in his life. He just got triggered one day and snapped.

There is such ignorance and hypocrisy. Mental health is important to discuss, except when its a sensitive topic that leads to tragedies in which case you can’t and shouldn’t humanise the people causing the atrocities. Peoples lives usually mould them and society around us has More of an influence then people care to admit. That includes how we treat each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

As I said before I hope these idiots never pursue a vocation in social services because they might get a shock in regards to who the majority of their clientele will consist of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

DC really are hit and miss in the extreme. This movie most definitely hits the spot. Phoenix is excellent throughout.

However the fill is not without its flaw. First and second act drags on occasion although it’s not that big an issue.

The film is not disturbing as some in the media are claiming. It does however trivialise and demonise mental health issues although I did expect this from any Batman movie that tried to play any of its psychopathic characters in a serious way. It didn’t take away from the film though.

I would have rathered
    the Wayne’s
    didn’t feature in the film at all. Felt unnecessary particularly another
    poxy Bruce’s parents murdered in an alley

The last 2-3 minutes of the film should have been dropped.

Overall a solid drama, not a comic book or superhero movie. Fanboys will hate it and superhero fans will be bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Seen this last night.
    Superb performance from Phoenix.
    Give him the Oscar now.

This deserves to be cemented in time as a standalone origin movie,simply to demonstrate how society can play a part in creating such a twisted and warped creature.

There is no place in this or a sequel for a kevlar clad "superhero". It would jar badly imo.

This movie,although it's sold under the 'JOKER' moniker,is more a commentary on society and it's pitfalls,regarding the more vulnerable in our midst.

Creepy,unsettling,and warped,but,scariest of all,it's always based in fact not fiction.

10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

Joaquin has been for a long time my favorite actor, ever since i saw him in return to paradise he brings a level of intensity/authenticity to roles that can genuinely move you, a rare gift he has. Hope he gets the oscar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

SexBobomb wrote: »
    "You Shouldn't See 'Joker' This Weekend" by Phil Pirrello

Pretty disappointing to read this kind of stuff, if you don't like it cool give a bad review but jeez.
    I usually enjoy their content as well but I'll be looking elsewhere from now on.

https://nofilmschool.com/joker-movie-should-you-see-it
    Had to stop reading that it clearly was the death of journalism again...
    It's like saying villains are ok to be bad guys and do henous acts in movies. As long as we don't see a movie about them become bad guys.

Advertisement