Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

First ATM machine in Ireland in 1980

It was the start of the dehumanising of banks.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0213/679861-irelands-first-atm/

Having spent far too much of my life queuing in banks trying to either withdraw money or lodge a wage check i dont think this is the negative you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Shiny new DARTS arrived in 1984.

@7:46 people talking about the benefits of the new DART.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Having spent far too much of my life queuing in banks trying to either withdraw money or lodge a wage check i dont think this is the negative you think it is.

Yep. The queues coming up to Christmas were insane!

Plus, of course, having access to one's funds 24/7/365 greatly enhanced the level of debauchery in which one could indulge at weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yep. The queues coming up to Christmas were insane!

Plus, of course, having access to one's funds 24/7/365 greatly enhanced the level of debauchery in which one could indulge at weekends!

HOOZAH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Queueing at the college ATM at midnight to see if the grant had come in....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The lotto came in 1987.

This clip is from 1989:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

The lotto came in 1987.

This clip is from 1989:

Feck should have done it. I would have had 4 of those numbers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

First ATM machine in Ireland in 1980

It was the start of the dehumanising of banks.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0213/679861-irelands-first-atm/

Ah the old "Pass" machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Queueing at the college ATM at midnight to see if the grant had come in....

Queueing at a particular ATM as it was the only one in the town that would dispense fivers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

More to do I think with the then-new heroin epidemic, and a lot of people still had a very lackadaisical attitude towards locking doors/windows or even cars. A lot of locks were useless anyway, even on front doors - break the glass next to the Yale lock and in you go. Lots of easy pickings around in those days and consumer goods like a colour TV or (much rarer) VCR were worth relatively a lot more money then.

There's an interesting theory too correlating the 90s drop in crime in the US with the 70s banning of leaded petrol, lead levels have a direct effect on children's IQ and attention spans. In the 70s and 80s we had the highest lead levels in Europe and we were among the last countries in Europe to phase it out in 2000. Scrappage schemes in the mid-90s got most lead-requiring cars off the road by then.

Opportunism was also a major factor in the higher rate of car thefts.
    When cars were easy to hotwire gurriers would rob them for the most petty of reasons. Even hotwiring a car to get back from a night out was a thing with some dirtbags.
    Nowadays if a scummer is going to the bother of getting around alarms, immobilisers and rolling code locking systems then it has to be worth his while.

The hardening of cars and other targets of theft has even been connected to an overall drop in crime rates.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2012/10/20/driven-down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

bennya wrote: »
    Queueing at a particular ATM as it was the only one in the town that would dispense fivers :D

When I was in college, there were 3 ATMs fairly close to each other (UB, BOI, AIB), and if you absolutely legged it between them, you could empty the last fiver out of your account 3 times due to the slight delay in registering the transaction with your own bank. You'd still be overdrawn by a tenner the next day, but it'd come in handy on a night out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

When I was in college, there were 3 ATMs fairly close to each other (UB, BOI, AIB), and if you absolutely legged it between them, you could empty the last fiver out of your account 3 times due to the slight delay in registering the transaction with your own bank. You'd still be overdrawn by a tenner the next day, but it'd come in handy on a night out

Good practice for the 2000s when spending money you didn't earn and didn't have was the Irish national pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Shiny new DARTS arrived in 1984.

@7:46 people talking about the benefits of the new DART.
    That woman was probably 24 at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Opportunism was also a major factor in the higher rate of car thefts.
    When cars were easy to hotwire gurriers would rob them for the most petty of reasons. Even hotwiring a car to get back from a night out was a thing with some dirtbags.
    Nowadays if a scummer is going to the bother of getting around alarms, immobilisers and rolling code locking systems then it has to be worth his while.

The hardening of cars and other targets of theft has even been connected to an overall drop in crime rates.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2012/10/20/driven-down

Lol, this happened about three weeks ago in my town. Some drunk gurrier hotwired an old man's banger to get back to a neighbouring area in the early hours.

Wrecked it too the little bollox.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Anyone else remember the big teaser billbord campaign where a part of the billboard was burnt away and revealed week by week, around the Spring of 1989 or thereabouts? Stuff like "The Day of Revelation" and "Nostradamus Predicted It"?

Scared the bejaysus out of schoolkids at the time as we thought it was something to do with Armageddon!! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

^^^^

Or Big Ed loves Mona...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

^^^^

Or Big Ed loves Mona...

So.

(as in the 'So' Sony ad campaign around the same time)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Anyone else remember the big teaser billbord campaign where a part of the billboard was burnt away and revealed week by week, around the Spring of 1989 or thereabouts? Stuff like "The Day of Revelation" and "Nostradamus Predicted It"?

Scared the bejaysus out of schoolkids at the time as we thought it was something to do with Armageddon!! Lol

Don't remember that one (and they say advertising works!!) - what was it about?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

any mad stories of the heroin era?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

70's and 80's in rural areas multicolored cars driven at 5 Mph.
    These cars could have a red wing and a green body - all held together by twine.

Rampant drink Driving - everybody loaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭funnyname

Did this a few times at college at the end of the year, take the money (usually scraped £200 together from friends) out over the counter then pop outside and take out the same the amount at the "pass" machine, pay everyone off and quids in until it had to be paid off in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

6541 wrote: »

Was in Morocco a few years ago, apparently 3am isn't a good time to get a taxi, because all the locals are off their box driving on the wrong side of the road swerving all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I remember the postman snailing around in the Nissan Urvan, he'd wind down the window and there'd be a bang of drink coming off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Nobody wants the gory details but "incident" is meaningless.

Deaths can be categorised as

Suicide / accident / suspicious e.g murder or assault / natural causes

One of the above should be used when reporting

In Canada at least, we also have undetermined and unclassified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Was the late 80s in Ireland generally better than the early 80s?

Probably better culturally but the economy took a downturn then. I had to leave in 86. Places seem to slowly improve when I leave. Did the same for Britain in 73.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

....... wrote: »
    ... my ma was a meat and 2 veg kind of woman ..

:eek:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

cgcsb wrote: »
    Was in Morocco a few years ago, apparently 3am isn't a good time to get a taxi, because all the locals are off their box driving on the wrong side of the road swerving all over the place.

I was on the motorway just outside Skopje in Macedonia a few months ago and did a double take when I looked over to the other lane and saw the driver of the car next to us chugging from a bottle of wine during the middle of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What was it like in the 1980's in Ireland?

I have seen pictures, video and my god it looked like a depressing place. :eek:

Grey, delapidated, hopeless.

What was it like? How did you get by without internets, wheelie bins, toilets...?

Would you go back if you could??

*Might as well throw in the 70's too for people of that vintage.

In many ways it was better. You could actually look forward to the future. Nowadays, I just dread it.

As for going back, I go back every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I remember the red Honda 50s and old guys with twine holding their ancient jackets together riding high nelly bicycles with wellies on :D

Also stray dogs everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

What was it like in the 1980's in Ireland?

I have seen pictures, video and my god it looked like a depressing place. :eek:

Grey, delapidated, hopeless.

What was it like? How did you get by without internets, wheelie bins, toilets...?

Would you go back if you could??

*Might as well throw in the 70's too for people of that vintage.

Re-reading this again and it sounds like you're describing behind the Iron Curtain. :pac: In a way we were actually... my partner who was born in the GDR had a better standard of living in east Germany than we did in Ireland of the 70's...no joke! certainly way better services.

I had a happy childhood in the 70s/80s (apart from the nuns in school!) and no way would I want to swap it to be a child growing up today.

Advertisement