Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I always assumed Grandad just fecked off to the pub to get away from that awful 70s strip club music. Or maybe he went to a strip club.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I always assumed Grandad just fecked off to the pub to get away from that awful 70s strip club music. Or maybe he went to a strip club.

I'd say he did the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I love the way the farmer covers the water barrel but leaves a razor sharp "knot" sticking out from the fastening wire so you'll take a chunk out of your arm when you walk by it :D

On a rather sad note, Penny Cook, who played Vicky the vet in an Australian drama from the 70s and 80s, A Country Practice, passed away yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

i bought my first house in the late 80's: £30k punts !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The attitude to car safety was shocking back them. I remember my Mum taking me and my two siblings to town. We were about 8, 6 and 3. No seat belts. I don't know what happened but my Mum slammed on the brakes and my 3 year old sister was standing in between the two seats and nearly went flying throw the windscreen. The only thing that saved her was my mother's hand knocking her back, which left an indent from her engagement ring on my sister's forehead. The moral of the story back then? Sit down or you'll get hurt! :eek:

Not just my family so! I’d say this continued until the mid 90s. My parents didn’t regularly wear them either, didn’t have a car with them rear fitted I’d say until mid 90s either!
    Had a similar accident to your sister in the late 80s- had a habit of standing in between the two front seats unrestrained of course. I was flung forward in a minor collision, luckily no injuries at all- parents would be arrested now for this kind of carry on!
    As you say the attitude to road safety was terrible and that was reflected in the death and injury stats which were multiples of present ones. Don’t even get started on drink driving! Enormous strides have been made the past few decades on this front

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Lol I wonder what the music is. It does sound like something you'd expect to hear in some low budget 70s sexplotation movie.

Lol I wonder what the music is. It does sound like something you'd expect to hear in some low budget 70s sexplotation movie.
    Yeah, the bit where the bra comes off. (So I'm told, ahem)

branie2 wrote: »
    On a rather sad note, Penny Cook, who played Vicky the vet in an Australian drama from the 70s and 80s, A Country Practice, passed away yesterday.
    I loved Vicki, Simon and Fatso the wombat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Speaking of Australian tv shows, I remember the opening credits from Sons and Daughters.
    Was it on just before The Den, or some other children's show?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it was on before the Den

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Actually it was The Sullivans I'm thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ipso wrote: »

The Sullivans was shown on RTE1 not RTE2.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108398827&postcount=1314

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ahh the car I learned to drive on. An electric shaver had more power

Not true of the 3.0V6s or the later 2.8 Injection Capris but they were rare beasts here indeed.

You have to hand it to Ford though, take a Cortina parts bin and produce something they can market as "sexy" which probably cost no more than £100 extra to make

Rostyle wheels and driving gloves and all!

This ad is very matrimonial, but I remember seeing another one on YouTube (Can't find it now) which had Married Man Driver with the mrs in the passenger seat and him imagining her disappearing and two 'dolly birds' appearing in the back seat :rolleyes:

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The seatbelt attitude didn’t change until the 90’s

Seeing people furiously trying to belt up when they saw a checkpoint was normal

Once I put on a seatbelt in the back seat and was just about called a weirdo.

Most cars didn't even have seatbelts in the back until well into the 90s.

My dad bought a new car in 1981. It had the mounting points for rear seat belts, but you had to pay extra to get them - so of course he didn't. In fairness it did have a big annoying warning light right in the middle of the dash if you didn't put on your front seat belt - and even a weight sensor in the front passenger seat that lit up the warning light if someone was sitting in it and not belted up (our current shagging Toyota doesn't have that.)

In fairness he always belted up even in his previous car, an Austin 1100 which had those bondage and discipline seatbelts that basically locked you in place once done up. We kids would still be bouncing around unrestrained in the back of course. That car even had tip-up front seats with no catches - so under hard braking the front passenger seat would tip forward if unoccupied, and there was nothing stopping the child sitting behind it (me) from being launched into the windscreen :)

That was actually a TV show? I thought it was a euphemism for bestiality. ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Speaking of Australian tv shows, I remember the opening credits from Sons and Daughters.
    Sons and Daughters was on RTE 1 and it might have been on at the same time as The Den.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Definitely not on before The Den as that was a late afternoon start at 4:30. When all of the seasons of The Sullivans had been shown, Carson's Law filled that time slot IIRC. Either that or Carson's Law followed The Sullivan's.

The Den, when Ian Dempsey presented it, showed a programme called the Campbells, about a Scottish family living in Canada during the 19th century.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Can't link as on phone but I found something really dreary about the title sequence and song.

Yep very dreary and very very cheap-looking.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

mzungu wrote: »
    Definitely not on before The Den as that was a late afternoon start at 4:30. When all of the seasons of The Sullivans had been shown, Carson's Law filled that time slot IIRC. Either that or Carson's Law followed The Sullivan's.

I don't remember RTE finishing The Sullivans - showing one episode a week was not the way to do it.

• Advertisement

I like Sons & Daughters. Pat The Rat was a great character.
    There were two best of DVDs released in Australia but sadly nothing more.

The Canadian science programme Wonderstruck

Hi, I'm Bob McDonald. And I'm curious about things. Why they are the way they are, and why they're not something else.

The Canadian science programme Wonderstruck

Hi, I'm Bob McDonald. And I'm curious about things. Why they are the way they are, and why they're not something else.
    You should be called brainie, not branie!
    That's some memory you have.

I don't remember RTE finishing The Sullivans - showing one episode a week was not the way to do it.
    Fair enough, have my wires crossed there.

Another great Canadian show was Degrassi Junior High - shown at the end of the '80s on Network 2. Think it clashed with the 9.00pm news so I was banished to the kitchen where I watched it on the portable.

Does anybody remember a short programme called The Optimist. It used to be on for 10 or so minutes, maybe before the 6 O'Clock news on RTE 1?

Does anybody remember a short programme called The Optimist. It used to be on for 10 or so minutes, maybe before the 6 O'Clock news on RTE 1?

I remember a programme of that name on Channel 4. I think it was on their opening night and became a series a couple of years after. Shot like a silent film.

I do; it was a series of short films, from the Netherlands, I think

I remember a programme of that name on Channel 4. I think it was on their opening night and became a series a couple of years after. Shot like a silent film.
    It might have also been on Channel 4. It was silent, but had the same song running through every episode. I can hum it but I have no idea what it's called.
    I do; it was a series of short films, from the Netherlands, I think
    I would say you are bang on the money there. They were short and a handy way for RTE to waste a bit of time before the news. TBH most people I have said it to don't remember it at all. I was beginning to think it was a false memory!!

Fair play on the memory front as I never knew it was from the Netherlands.

• Advertisement

Another great Canadian show was Degrassi Junior High - shown at the end of the '80s on Network 2. Think it clashed with the 9.00pm news so I was banished to the kitchen where I watched it on the portable.

Ooh - was just going to post about The Kids From Degrassi Street - which came before that one and was broadcast earlier in the day.

Advertisement