Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMENTS THREAD FOR RANDOM PHOTOS LV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

cnocbui wrote: »
    Is it just me and my monitor settings, or does they sky appear almost mauve to anyone else?

Doesn't appear mauve to me ... but then again, it doesn't appear at all - nor does any of the rest of the picture. Everyone else's (oh, except pft's from yesterday) is there ... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Red Rocks Amphitheatre by Jack Arigho, on Flickr

Anyone who can ski those moguls must have legs of titanium - vicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

cnocbui wrote: »
    Red Rocks Amphitheatre by Jack Arigho, on Flickr

Anyone who can ski those moguls must have legs of titanium - vicious!

You're right, as anyone trying to ski down there would be suicidal but I was told it's a wicked concert venue - without the snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Loki, I think your horizon is off on your last post. Great image, but crooked horizons are a bug bear of mine - I find it hard to get past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

yeh, you're right Adrian. Just checked it out, it's off by 0.43 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'm curious what happened along the top of this image, is it editing ? Or some lens artifacting w/ busy background ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's also on the left, just above the football. weird out of focus effects from leaves much nearer the camera?

it's also on the left, just above the football. weird out of focus effects from leaves much nearer the camera?

right, yeah, busy foreground makes more sense than busy background.

It's out of focus branches and leaves in the foreground, back-lit and a shallow depth of field (f/3.2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Loki98 wrote: »
    49764169878_6213082e8a_c.jpg

Where is my CREAM:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

keps wrote: »
    Where is my CREAM:mad:

Ah, keps, forgive me for omitting the blindingly obvious but We"re all out of cream. Sorry, abject apologies, maybe next time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

parko202 wrote: »
    49728608541_41d0d6f26a_c.jpg

Is this Howth ?

Lovely shot, so simple, but just great

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

New Home wrote: »

Ever heard them scream. Was putting out the bin one night and thought someone was being murdered, even went out with a maglight to see if something was amiss. It has to be the most terrifying sound an animal can make.

This but for about 15 minutes straight, even sounded like help at one stage :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

The screech of a barn owl at night is also terrifying!

I heard a scary screaming comming from the woods one night and took a torch and went to investigste. It turned out to be badgers having a fight. Awful noise. I left them to it after one of them made a move in my direction while making the horrible rasping shriek.

dball wrote: »
    should've brought my camera by Zed Llab, on Flickr

2iT9YpN

Is that one of the Skelligs I see ?

49842864197_c1953ee933_c.jpg

The rain in Spain .... by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

The original post of this had way too many blown highlights. A recent tutorial on an editing approach from DCC camera club (thank's Helen) via Zoom made we want to have another go at it!

Nice shot, really hard to get rain I find ...
    well done

Top left corner puts me off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where's the original? it's the sort of shot where i suspect blown highlights won't be an issue; the rain doesn't quite look natural in that treatment, almost like an overlay.

• Advertisement

where's the original? it's the sort of shot where i suspect blown highlights won't be an issue; the rain doesn't quite look natural in that treatment, almost like an overlay.

48765875383_8e848d1b2e_c.jpg

The heavens opened - mono by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

I prefer the original with blown highlights. Getting rid of them also got rid of the ladies under the umbrella by losing them in the background shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Another one here who prefers the original. The blown highlights suggest a torrential rainstorm in the midst of bright sunshine, the kind that would come out of nowhere, soak you to the skin, then just stop leaving you wondering what the hell happened, and a real "capture the moment" photo. The reprocessed image is a bit ... meh.

I can understand why you'd want to recover a bit more detail from the pavement to the right of the car, but I feel it's come at the price of all the atmospheric texture of the buildings' façades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

pete4130 wrote: »
    49873689216_3a3c889e0a_c.jpg

Magnificent shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Thanks.

It's a bit of a throw away shot for me. Taken with a Mavic Pro drone. I struggle with how poor their dynamic range can be on landscape shots. I'm too used to a full frame camera.
    I much prefer using them for straight down drop shots.

Was a sunny day here and I thought I heard some thunder and thought I'd mistaken it for a wheelie bin being moved by the neighbours. Then the next rumble there were no mistakes. Sent the drone up, had a look around and there was a localised storm cell and double rainbow just south of the steelworks.

It's actually a 3 shot HDR. I usually shoot like this with the drone for landscapes because it struggles so much with blown highlights and dark shadows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I also find the sensors on the DJI drones to be quite limited. I have the Phantom 3 and an Inspire 1. There are some better camera available for the Inspire but they are beyond my budget at present. They also suffer from noise.

I too am used to the freedom of full frame.

Still it does allow for a different perspective.

pete4130 wrote: »
    49908129993_721e9a9804_c.jpg

Very nice, where is this do you mind me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

@ Daire Quinlan

That's a sparrowhawk

Wailin wrote: »
    @ Daire Quinlan

That's a sparrowhawk

Seems so, I was thinking peregrine originally, but the head didn't really match up. Sparrowhawk fits though. From what I can tell it's busily chowing down on one half of the breeding blackbird couple that spent the last few months building an ornate nest in one of the trees in our garden. Nature, red in tooth and claw etc etc :-D

• Advertisement

Seems so, I was thinking peregrine originally, but the head didn't really match up. Sparrowhawk fits though. From what I can tell it's busily chowing down on one half of the breeding blackbird couple that spent the last few months building an ornate nest in one of the trees in our garden. Nature, red in tooth and claw etc etc :-D

Send it round my way, I have some magpies it can have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement