Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how was your golfing year?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mccaa

Dbu wrote: »
    Went from 14.4 to 10.1 this year, which was a pleasant surprise
    Won 2 cups and a medal
    Year started appallingly and I literally couldn't hit the ball out of my way from January to end of May,eventually started playing proper golf in July.
    Got short game lessons in June and July(from 50 yards and in) and these really helped with the 'up and down' game
    2019,looking to get to 9.4........ for an hour will do

Haha
    'For an hour will do'.
    Well done on the cut so far this year, I'm sure another shot there or thereabouts will be no bother to you.... Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Taught I'll add my 2 cents

Golfing Goals for 2018 were

Win my first boards outing - Tick (and nearly had a second one)

Make there Ryder Jug Team - Tick (Even though I couldnt play on the day but still bad timing)

Win a medal - no ( not even close)

Handicap - Target was 16. Started at 18.7 went out to 19.5. Got down to 17.4 finished at 17.9. Had 16 o.1's back if that counts :D

Highlights finished 3rd in my clubs Captain's Prize would of won it only for a 10 on the first! but in a way I think that made me play better.

Low lights - Chipping was shocking all year and really cost me.

The Year ahead - I'm excited to say the least! Captain of the boards society, golfing trip away to the home of golf St Andrews and joining a new club of a much higher standard and lower CSS so no excuses to get down next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I joined a golf course a year ago, was surprised when they dished out a handicap of 11 to me, was expecting about 18,never had a golf handicap before.

Struggled off it for a few months during the winter but as i got to know people my confidence grew and I started to relax more.

Queried my handicap with the handicap secretary(said they would look into it) and in the mean time got a couple of lessons and went and won the last medal of the year, never thought I could win one of those so I guess the handicap secretary wont be getting back to me now :-)

bring on 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

benny79 wrote: »
    Taught I'll add my 2 cents

Golfing Goals for 2018 were

Win my first boards outing - Tick (and nearly had a second one)

Make there Ryder Jug Team - Tick (Even though I couldnt play on the day but still bad timing)

Win a medal - no ( not even close)

Handicap - Target was 16. Started at 18.7 went out to 19.5. Got down to 17.4 finished at 17.9. Had 16 o.1's back if that counts :D

Highlights finished 3rd in my clubs Captain's Prize would of won it only for a 10 on the first! but in a way I think that made me play better.

Low lights - Chipping was shocking all year and really cost me.

The Year ahead - I'm excited to say the least! Captain of the boards society, golfing trip away to the home of golf St Andrews and joining a new club of a much higher standard and lower CSS so no excuses to get down next year :D

where you joining Benny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Stacksey wrote: »
    I joined a golf course a year ago, was surprised when they dished out a handicap of 11 to me, was expecting about 18,never had a golf handicap before.

Struggled off it for a few months during the winter but as i got to know people my confidence grew and I started to relax more.

Queried my handicap with the handicap secretary(said they would look into it) and in the mean time got a couple of lessons and went and won the last medal of the year, never thought I could win one of those so I guess the handicap secretary wont be getting back to me now :-)

bring on 2019
    Never had a golf handicap before and you won a medal playing off 11?:eek:
    That's a fair achievement!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Bit of a disaster year for me (That's two in a row)

After dropping from 23, I have gone from 17.2 to 19.1 in the last two years, found some form at the end of last year but all the competitions in my old club were either 9 hole or non-counting.
    Moved clubs, much harder course, and struggled on it for a long time but thankfully towards the end of the counting season I started hitting buffer zone and I think i would have got a few cuts if it lasted a few more weeks. Put a lot of work into my game and it was starting to pay off.

Managed to make the jug team here and done well on the day with the excellent guidance from Macker and had a run in our mini matchplay event making the final - which i was absolutely hammered in but still glad i got there.

Not much winter golf for me except the matchplay again with the lads, can't wait to get going again and then we'll see, lots more practice and hopefully I'll get back on the downward slope again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bloody awful. Got to 10 from 12 in April, wrecked my back so not swinging well all summer, out to 10.7/11. Then tore my calf pretty badly so no golf from August to start of November. 4 x 9 holes and a 14 hole since then. Managed 27 points on the 14 so Ive still got it :D

Head wrecked, was flowing nicely. Loads of putting and chipping for the winter, few 9 holes, get ready for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Seve OB wrote: »
    where you joining Benny

Kilkea Castle back opened a year now and some serious money spent on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Funny year, I did not want to change anything in my bag but when bored I got a new putter in April and did not play my first round of the year until May.
    I decided to change from my baseball grip to a conventional grip and went for lessons to make sure I was starting off correctly, I ended up with four lessons and all I worked on was grip, stance and alignment, nothing fancy as I figure all that stuff will come in time. I absolutely hate driving ranges so suffered on the course with new grip and stance, lost quite a few balls in the opening rounds to hard slices and shanks but that is now totally gone. Given the changes above I did not want to change anything in my bag.
    Unfortunately in early Summer my driver head cracked so I had to get a new driver, then I ditched my 3 wood and two of my hybrids and replaced them with three new hybrids so I'm still bedding them in.
    I got a rangefinder also and it was the best purchase in years as I really feel much better with my club selection now.
    For my drives I've still working very hard on a baby draw, it's not there and it's not easy for me as I'm correcting a very out to in swing plane so I have to me patient, I also am slowly bringing in a hips first start to my downswing but this feels very alien to me right now.
    For my irons I'm committed to a reverse K stance and liking the results.
    For both driver and irons I'm really working on stopping the sway and have to really concentrate on putting a hard stop (until not possible) on holding my hips from turning back to maximise (for me) the coil.
    Courses wise, I get very bored very quickly so my priority is playing as many different courses as possible, I'm real happy with 25 courses played given my late start and 11 of them were new. I usually play 60+ times but with this years late start only got to 53.
    For me Links rules so I played Arklow, Carne, Ballyliffens, Greencastle, NorthWest, Strandhill and Doonbeg.

My best round was something like 18 years ago with a 7 over, any time I get near this I ignore keeping a good round going and rightfully play to beat this elusive target. I've had lots of 8 overs over the years but never even equalled it.

Roll on Strandhill (a week or so before ye guys played it over the Boards GS Captain's weekend) and it was windy as fuk, to cut a long story short I played a 6 over including a treble on the 13th. But I was mixed on the score as it was off the society tees. I always play better on links as I feel I'm accurate off the tee and with the run never have to drive hard so my GIR is good and whilst not a brilliant putter am pretty consistent.

So my highlight of the year was left quite late, played Doonbeg in late October, thought the place would be jammed but there was no one ahead of us and no one behind so it was quite relaxed. Ended up leaving putts short on the first few holes as I was expecting the usual links speed but the greens still need bedding in so were not fast at all and cost me two or three shots on these holes until I started putting harder.
    I was never in trouble all day, left three putts literally on the lip and ended up with a 5 over for by far and away my best round.

Lessons payed off, patience payed off but next year I want to get out more, I've three links courses left to play and then I've played them all so that is my goal for next year, Portmarnock Hotel, St Annes and RCD.....along with weight shift and hip turn on downswing

Roll on 2019.................

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Started 2018 on 17.7. By June I was out to 18.6. Played 1 strokes round off 19, shot 83 for nett 64 and won the June Medal! Lost 3.0 for that and shot 20 for 9 holes same week to end on 15.0. Am clamped on 16.0 now for rest of 2018.

- Started off 18 will finish on 16
    - Won a strokes Medal
    - Runner up in society captain's day
    - On target for society GOTY

I played several rounds with my 17yo son and really enjoyable rounds with close friends and local pub society.

I can't recall getting wet even once!

- Runner up in society Presidents day
    - Won society GOTY
    So overall a successful year.

Unfortunately a good friend in our society passed away suddenly. Put life in perspective. Makes me more determined to enjoy every golfing minute of 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Seeing as there there are less than 3 hours of 2018 to go, pretty safe to say my golfing year is over!

Bit like Charlie posted above, 2018 was just as disappointing as 2017 for me. It was the first season in approximately 12 years of having a GUI handicap that I never got a cut of any kind whatsoever. I racked up my full 10x 0.1s frighteningly quickly.

I never once played to my handicap in competitive qualifying golf all year. Pretty depressing for someone who loves this game and always works to improve my game.

Spent a lot of time over last winter working on bump and run and putting in my living room. Really improved my confidence around the greens but my long game deserted me. It got so bad, not even a decent short game could save a round.

Got lessons. I was leaning on the back foot way too much, drives sky high and left. More or less fixed now but still happening from time to time.

In the last few weeks, really focussing on a slow backswing. It's paying dividends. Last two games of the year were 13 hole comps. 28 & 27 points. Both beat handicap. Forward tees and placing everywhere but a damn sight better than most of the golf played in 2018. Giving real hope for 2019.

Can't wait to get out again !

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

Finished off the year today playing Ballybunion Old off 20 (up from a starting hcap of 18 - 10 0.1’s and a shot added at end of year review) Absolutely fabulous course with some stunning holes and in impeccable condition.

One birdie, three pars and 28 points.
    Very disappointing to be honest. No improvement made at all over the year, I only broke 30 points twice in the twelve months.

I started playing golf properly in 2018 so the hope was to be able to play to my handicap by the end of the year, which I didn’t manage. For 2019 I’m hoping to get cut back to 18 at some stage! That’s the target so hopefully I can start making inroads on it soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Only just got back into golf properly after 15 years of irregular play. Joined a club 3 months ago and given a handicap of 25. I've been playing a lot since then, at least once a week. On average I've been playing to my handicap with the odd disastrous round. I'm feel like I'm starting to iron out a lot of issues in my game, mainly my driving and putting. Will get some lessons soon too. I'm confident/hopeful with the work I've done over the winter I'll come down from 25 in the spring/summer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

2018 was a bad year for me, with maybe 3 good rounds all year. Some absolutely woeful golf as well, where i just completely lost the head. So this year will be better, and i'm determined to get cut a few shots. Some more lessons in the next month will help with that, and i'm looking forward to playing more of the golf that i often see glimpses of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

It was my first year of proper golf. I’ve played a par 3 before but never a proper course. Anyway after a few very wet rounds last February I joined Kilkea Castle in March.
    I got a few tips from a friend on grip and stance and off I went. The first few rounds I was around the 120 mark and got a handicap of 24. Once the weather dried up the shots started to come down to the 110-105 mark.
    I got one lesson on Damien McGrane which was a basic one on controlling my backswing.
    For the summer and autumn I was scoring in the mid 20s with no sign of improving. But since the start of November I hit a few 30s broke 100 and it has been getting better since, scoring mid 30s and keeping it under 100.
    The handicap is at 25 and that should be lower once the qualifying is back in the competitions.
    Looking forward to 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

started at 4.0 h'cap
    got as low at 3.4 and as high as 4.8
    finished the year at 3.7
    had a few wins and 2nd in GOTY
    Pretty Happy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,663 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bad year for me unfortunately. Joined a new course at the start of the year. First tournament I actually won it with 37 points without playing great and thought it was going to be easy to get to single figures. Didn't break 30 points for the rest of the year and game was all over the place and finally took a break in October for 8 weeks.

Since then I've come back and played decent winter golf. I've gotten rid of the a bad hook which was killing me through a change of grip. Looking forward to the new year. I think I've adjusted my game for the new course so I'm hopeful of still getting single figures.

Started the year off 10.8
    Finished off 11.8

Didn't manage a cut all year and had around 15 .1's. Was thinking maybe I'd get a shot on the end of the year review but didn't hear anything.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement