Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how was your golfing year?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

First year in 14 not holding a GUI membership. Loved the game but no time with other stuff on made it easy to decide not to renew.
    I see lads pulling their hair out with the game and I laugh inwardly, that used to be me.
    Look forward to maybe getting out again next year, but for the minute no grà there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Started 8.9 now 8.3.
    I think I've had some improvement in putting over the past month but starting to blade wedges through the green constantly now not helping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

Began the year 7.1, didn't play well for the first 3 months of the summer and drifted out to 7.9.
    Something clicked towards the end of July, my short game improved and I started holing a few putts. Had a good August & September. Down to 5.1 now.
    That said, I had my worst round of golf in about 4 yrs last weekend when I just about managed 21pts. Golf eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

It was non existent, played some society outings and scored never worse than 32, but it's different golf. I've just joined a course and this is my last attempt to get golf back in my life. I played to a decent standard but then family life took over and once that time is absorbed into family life is hard to justify claiming it back!

Golf needs a shorter format! But until then I'm going to give it another run, early tee time, early home! I'm golfing until 2020 but then who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mccaa

Playing 15 months.
    Started this season off 27 and currently off 21.
    4 medals won
    Beaten on count back in lady captains prize

Highlight was definitely my 1st interclub match,away from home and was playing absolute s***e. Nerves got the better of me. Standing on the 10th Tbox,8 down (good god). Gave myself a good talking to and ended up winning my match on the 19th.

Bar the above got to play very little and most of that was rubbish.
    Have booked my 1st ever lesson for next week and for every fortnight afterwards so looking for hopefully a major improvement for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

4 MEDALS!
    4!

Seve OB wrote: »
    4 MEDALS!
    4!

Yeah mad but in fairness not all that hard in my club as not much competition amongst the ladies unfortunately.
    (Looking to change clubs now for this reason )
    Also really only our only strokes comps which I love and always seem to play my best golf in.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Mccaa wrote: »
    Yeah mad but in fairness not all that hard in my club as not much competition amongst the ladies unfortunately.
    Also really only our only strokes comps which I love and always seem to play my best golf in.

4 medals is crazy going alright! did you win them by many shots?

4 medals is crazy going alright! did you win them by many shots?

April 9 shots
    May 7 shots
    August 5 shots
    September 13 shots

So as you see not all that much competition every week where I am.

Have won GOY this year aswell which is obviously not right in only my 2nd season and off my handicap. So in the process of weighing up my options regarding other clubs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Excellent scores all the same, fair play. Has your handicap dropped much?

I’ll do a review of my golfing year when it’s over, but it’s grim, very grim!!

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Excellent scores all the same, fair play. Has your handicap dropped much?

I’ll do a review of my golfing year when it’s over, but it’s grim, very grim!!
    Haha well all the rest of mine was very grim all the same..
    Have lost 6 shots this season so far. Would of liked a few more but having never taken a lesson or put in any practice at all this year I'll take it...
    Lessons start next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Playing 15 months.
    Started this season off 27 and currently off 21.
    4 medals won
    Beaten on count back in lady captains prize

Highlight was definitely my 1st interclub match,away from home and was playing absolute s***e. Nerves got the better of me. Standing on the 10th Tbox,8 down (good god). Gave myself a good talking to and ended up winning my match on the 19th.

Bar the above got to play very little and most of that was rubbish.
    Have booked my 1st ever lesson for next week and for every fortnight afterwards so looking for hopefully a major improvement for next season.

Fair play to you, thats outstanding for only playing 15 months. As a matter of interest had you any other experience with stick and ball sport......hurling, tennis, cricket, hockey ? Be interesting to know. This is my 3rd year playing, took it up in 16 to see if I liked it and joined a club in 17. Was given 25 and have stuck to that so far. Generally my scores are between 25 and 34

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Fair play to you, thats outstanding for only playing 15 months. As a matter of interest had you any other experience with stick and ball sport......hurling, tennis, cricket, hockey ? Be interesting to know. This is my 3rd year playing, took it up in 16 to see if I liked it and joined a club in 17. Was given 25 and have stuck to that so far. Generally my scores are between 25 and 34
    Yeah I played camogie so I think that helped a lot.
    The biggest thing for me I think is who I play with. Alot of my friends at the course are guys off single figures or near to it. The simple things like how they manage the course etc has helped me a lot. If only I could apply all I learn from them every round lol...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Haha well all the rest of mine was very grim all the same..
    Have lost 6 shots this season so far. Would of liked a few more but having never taken a lesson or put in any practice at all this year I'll take it...
    Lessons start next week!

Wow that’s excellent going. Here’s me hoping to loose one or two shots and not go up 1!!
    Well done, keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Pure ****e lost all momentum getting cut and gained a shot. Short game at the start of the year with soft ground. Only got a handle when it dried out then irons failed (catching them fat) balading them thru greens, lost confidence in all aspects of the game. Want to quit or quit working on my game and accept I'm a mid handicapper forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

You should join the boards golf society next year or even attend some of the outings good banter & competition guaranteed but the main thing is the quality in courses plus a chance to make the Ryder Jug team if you play well during the year! But your getting to play different courses along with your own so helps your game imo.

The Ryder Jug is actually playing this Saturday as far as I know.

benny79 wrote: »
    You should join the boards golf society next year or even attend some of the outings good banter & competition guaranteed but the main thing is the quality in courses plus a chance to make the Ryder Jug team if you play well during the year! But your getting to play different courses along with your own so helps your game imo.

The Ryder Jug is actually playing this Saturday as far as I know.

Yeah had a quick look last night at this year's schedule and it looks quality alright.
    I'll say it to my partner and see what he thinks. Between work, kids and both of us playing golf, there just doesn't seem to be enough days in the week!
    Definitely try and make some of them though anyway.

Yeah had a quick look last night at this year's schedule and it looks quality alright.
    I'll say it to my partner and see what he thinks. Between work, kids and both of us playing golf, there just doesn't seem to be enough days in the week!
    Definitely try and make some of them though anyway.

no offence to anyone involved, but next years list ooks even tastier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

don't just tease us Seve… :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

When do we get to see next year's list?

• Advertisement

When do we get to see next year's list?

Captain will announce it in due course.

Reigns shall be passed after the Ryder Jug on Saturday, and once he has the list finalised I'm sure he will let you all know

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Town Man

Started the season on 16.1 and was up to a high of 16.5. Shot 40 points in my next round and got cut to 15 exactly. Usually I play one decent round and then struggle again

Driving was poor, hadn't much confidence on the tee that it was going to go straightish. Likewise with my irons. Ended up getting 2 lessons from the Assistant Pro in a course close to where I live and found them a big help. Played the most consistent golf I have ever played in my 4 years of playing. Got my handicap down to 12.8 but unfortunately breaking my foot last month put pay to coming down even more.

I played 16 competition rounds between those lessons and suffering my injury. I got cuts in 5 of those rounds and was in the buffer zone 6 times too. Didn't win any comps but had a couple of top 3 finishes

Also changed my putter, went back to an Odyssey I had sold my mate 2 years ago but got it back with a new grip he had put on it as he had upgraded. Noticed I was 3 putting a lot less.

For 2019 I hope to come down a few more shots with more lessons and practice. One area I was still struggling on was from 60-80 yards out so improvement needed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Started 2018 on 17.7. By June I was out to 18.6. Played 1 strokes round off 19, shot 83 for nett 64 and won the June Medal! Lost 3.0 for that and shot 20 for 9 holes same week to end on 15.0. Am clamped on 16.0 now for rest of 2018.

- Started off 18 will finish on 16
    - Won a strokes Medal
    - Runner up in society captain's day
    - On target for society GOTY

I played several rounds with my 17yo son and really enjoyable rounds with close friends and local pub society.

I can't recall getting wet even once!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

mackeire wrote: »
    Only my second year playing.
    Started with a 28.0 handicap. Went up to 29.0. Then went down to 27.4 and now on 27.8.

Ive played in 90% of the comps since the snow melted in March/April.
    I feel like I've been improving a lot. Most comps I finish with 34-38 points. Had a 42 pointer a few weeks back aswell. And then the odd one in the twenties.

Won the 2's comp one week aswell.

Been out with the society 3 times aswell. Won something each time. A front 9, back 9 and third overall.

The important thing for me tho is I'm hitting the ball better from the tee and fairway and rough. Have good days where everything goes well and bad days like I've never played the game before. But, I love playing and hopefully get lots more games in before the winter really kicks in.

Bit of an update since writing my first post a month ago.

I scored 43 points in a weekend stableford and finished second.
    Today I won my first competition, a 9 hole with 22.
    Got cut 1.6 for winning the comp and a further 0.5 for 'exceptional scoring'.

Started off the day playing off 26.5 and got cut to 24.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

ESR after a nine hole? my club need to get their act together and make 9 hole comps qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

mackeire wrote: »
    Bit of an update since writing my first post a month ago.

I scored 43 points in a weekend stableford and finished second.
    Today I won my first competition, a 9 hole with 22.
    Got cut 1.6 for winning the comp and a further 0.5 for 'exceptional scoring'.

Started off the day playing off 26.5 and got cut to 24.4.

Well done, thats some good scoring for your 2nd year. If these scores keep coming you will be in the teens soon

started off at 26.6 got down to 22.7, so over all pretty happy with my year was hoping to get down to 20 but lost a lot of weekends mid summer to stags/weekends and moving hopefully an end of year review might get me closer to overall target.
    From my competition rounds won category my category 4 times(3 times stableford and once in medal), only got 6 0.1 back . Cut 6 times and 10 buffers

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Having spent time as a member at a golf club the year before I decided to not renew my membership and instead try to explore more of Ireland. I also started 2018 having mostly recovered from a back injury and finally healthy enough for golf.

Society golf seemed like a great way to play more courses while still getting some healthy competition. I had found the boards.ie society the year before and decided now was the time to join. I signed up and started the year at Corballis. What a day of rain and piss poor golf! My play was dreadful, I was quite down after the round but the members of the society were all very welcoming and did a great job making me feel at home.

The second event was a course I was highly anticipating, Dromoland. I had stayed at the resort the year before but was unable to play the course at the time. My game was still not where I wanted it to be though, and although I played better than Corballis, it was a far cry from acceptable to myself. Again the members were fantastic and I resolved to improve my game and come back stronger next time.

The next several events conflicted with my schedule, but in the meantime I started play with another Dublin area society and started making good progress with my game. Finally I was scoring at least acceptable rounds and feeling like I was close to rounding into shape. I was able to claim a 2nd place on a rainy day at a society event at Luttrellstown(fantasic course by the way, should be a top target for the boards.ie list!).

The Boards.ie Society schedule was finally lineing up with my schedule again and I was looking forward to taking my improved game back when disaster struck and I re-injured my back. Gone were the Palmerstown and Moyvalley events, I was in no condition to play at all. I rehabbed pretty much every day, and though there were relapses I slowly got back into golf form.

I was finally able to recover enough to join the Rosses Point event. I did not participate in the Strandhill warm up round as two days of golf in a row were out of the question with my back still not 100 percent. The tournament was excellent! We were lucky with the weather, a very nice day for golf. I played with SeveOB and his guest who were both great to play with. My play was slightly rusty, but I was able to score a solid round somewhere around 30 points. Afterwards we all joined in a night of great fun and drinks in Sligo, it was a very fitting end to the year.

Overall my handicap as measured by the two societies I played in didnt move much (starting off 22, moved up to 23) but I feel like it was a good year for battling a slow start and injury. I hope to play in a lot more boards.ie events next year, the 2019 schedule looks excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Went from 14.4 to 10.1 this year, which was a pleasant surprise
    Won 2 cups and a medal
    Year started appallingly and I literally couldn't hit the ball out of my way from January to end of May,eventually started playing proper golf in July.
    Got short game lessons in June and July(from 50 yards and in) and these really helped with the 'up and down' game
    2019,looking to get to 9.4........ for an hour will do

Advertisement