Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how was your golfing year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Odd year with more high points than low points. Frustratingly my handicap didn't change, started at 13.4 and will end on 13.1.

New personal bests:
    > six birdies in a row
    > 11 pars in a round
    > 42 stableford pts
    > broke 80 for first time (79)
    > had my first eagle

Lows:
    > blows ups...so many good rounds ruined by one bad hole

A few short game lessons and a lot of practice over the darker months to be done 🀙

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Odd year with more high points than low points. Frustratingly my handicap didn't change, started at 13.4 and will end on 13.1.

New personal bests:
    > six birdies in a row
    > 11 pars in a round
    > 42 stableford pts
    > broke 80 for first time (79)
    > had my first eagle

Lows:
    > blows ups...so many good rounds ruined by one bad hole

A few short game lessons and a lot of practice over the darker months to be done ��

Wow, that's some shooting!!

Started year on 5.3, played in 18 qualifying comps, four 0.1s, went out as far as 5.6 but now back to 4.8. 2 wins, 2 seconds, most of the good stuff only in the last month (was 5.6 three weeks ago). I think I've cracked it (said no-one ever!) but I'm bursting to play these days, only pity is that the game is currently good and the weather is getting bad :(

Who mentioned Sligo??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

stockdam wrote: »
    Worst year in my golfing life. I left a club this year as it just wasn't worth it for the amount that I was playing. Last year I played ok but this year I have been rubbish. I have been hitting the ball very well but far too many poor shots and when I get within 50 yards I get worse.

I think I'll go for a lesson or two and see if I can find out why. If my game is as bad next year then maybe time to give it up.

Sorry for replying to my own post.

I went out to the range last night and realised that my shoulders were turning in a very flat plane and so I changed that to much steeper. That seems to have worked but it's too early to tell and I'll take a lesson to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

stockdam wrote: »
    Worst year in my golfing life. I left a club this year as it just wasn't worth it for the amount that I was playing. Last year I played ok but this year I have been rubbish. I have been hitting the ball very well but far too many poor shots and when I get within 50 yards I get worse.

I think I'll go for a lesson or two and see if I can find out why. If my game is as bad next year then maybe time to give it up.

The day to give up is that day you go to meet your maker. Chin up, keep at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Having finished up playing other sports I thought it's finally the time to take golf a bit more serious. Had 2 months off work in April and May and had hoped to get my handicap down (off 11.1), but alas the wet weather meant winter rules were in place until May 28th, the day I left for the US for 3 months. I had 40 points and 68 nett in NQ competitions before I left. I've since returned and played 4 competitions - got cut 0.4 with 39 points, had 35 points (in the buffer), 37 ponts (CSS is 37) and then played a fourball where I went round in +3, my best round ever - but no cuts in a fourball. A few more competitions left in the year and I would love to get to single figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Bmd88

Playing golf 3 years now and Joined my first golf club at the start of this year and handed in my 3 cards and got a 16 handicap, Ive played in 9 qualifying comps and have gotten back 9 0.1s with my highest score so far being 29 points. It’s frustrating not being in with a chance to compete for the prizes as the 16 handicap was harsh on me handing in cards averaging 105. I’m up to 16.9 now and can feel myself improving which is keeping me motivated. Just have to keep practicing and hopefully I can get there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Interesting year for me, strange to say it feels slightly unfulfiled after the year i had.

Started at 10.6 and drifted to 11.2. Played Bruen and won 3 matches. Cut 0.6 of a cut back to 10.6. came 2nd/3rd/4th in 5 Intermediate scratch cups without ever getting a cut due to NQ course conditions or just being at the CSS. Had a decent run in matchplay only to come up short in QF to a 13hc going around in +3! I went around in +5 myself the same night. got a best nett in a junior scratch cup then and followed that by having 4 rounds of 41 pts in the next 7 days. Cut to 9.6 as a result of those and high CSS but got an additional 1.0 cut from club for general play. Made it to single figures and still competitive and qualified for singles final next month. No wins but a lot of top 10 finishes so decent golf and plenty scope for improvement too i feel. tracked the rounds i played this year and a hell of a lot of golf played!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

Bmd88 wrote: »
    Playing golf 3 years now and Joined my first golf club at the start of this year and handed in my 3 cards and got a 16 handicap, Ive played in 9 qualifying comps and have gotten back 9 0.1s with my highest score so far being 29 points. It’s frustrating not being in with a chance to compete for the prizes as the 16 handicap was harsh on me handing in cards averaging 105. I’m up to 16.9 now and can feel myself improving which is keeping me motivated. Just have to keep practicing and hopefully I can get there
    16 does sound harsh - what club was that? My story is broadly similar except i'm only playing about 1 year but got a handicap of 18. At 18.9 after 9 qualifying comps with a highest score achieved of 30 points :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

My first year back home and golfing in Ireland. I golfed a lot socially my last few years in Oz without ever joining a club so was looking forward to joining a club when I made the move back. Id be an ok golfer and was giving a handicap of 14 once I handed in my 3 cards. Handicap has not moved much almost 5 months later with a lot of ups and downs. Main thing is consistency, I have shot 3 rounds with over 40pts, highest was 46! but I have rarely made a buffer outside of those 3 rounds, maybe once or twice max. I have lost count the amount of rounds where i scored between 30 to 33pts and got a .1 back.

Is this the norm for every mid range handicapper, 1 big cut followed by 5/6 .1's back and then another big cut and repeat. I think 14 is a fair handicap for me and I had it in my head that I would be hitting buffers the majority of the time with it while have the odd small cut or .1 back every so often. Suppose I am just looking for reassurance that this is normal golf behavior, haha...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

My first year back home and golfing in Ireland. I golfed a lot socially my last few years in Oz without ever joining a club so was looking forward to joining a club when I made the move back. Id be an ok golfer and was giving a handicap of 14 once I handed in my 3 cards. Handicap has not moved much almost 5 months later with a lot of ups and downs. Main thing is consistency, I have shot 3 rounds with over 40pts, highest was 46! but I have rarely made a buffer outside of those 3 rounds, maybe once or twice max. I have lost count the amount of rounds where i scored between 30 to 33pts and got a .1 back.

Is this the norm for every mid range handicapper, 1 big cut followed by 5/6 .1's back and then another big cut and repeat. I think 14 is a fair handicap for me and I had it in my head that I would be hitting buffers the majority of the time with it while have the odd small cut or .1 back every so often. Suppose I am just looking for reassurance that this is normal golf behavior, haha...

with them scores I think 8-9 is more than a fair handicap for you

surely you can't still be on 14????

your 3 rounds over 40 points has to have been worth at least 3-4 shots in cuts and on top of that you surely should have had an ESR applied

• Advertisement

Of 13 now at present, have to check again but had 31 points on Sunday and and 33 the previous Sunday so not sure where that leaves me. I am not able to log into golf net at present for some reasons. when I started my first 6 rounds were .1 back so I was playing of 14.6 and then had 42 points in the weekly comp. That was followed by another at least 5/6 1's back,ha

Of 13 now at present, have to check again but had 31 points on Sunday and and 33 the previous Sunday so not sure where that leaves me. I am not able to log into golf net at present for some reasons. when I started my first 6 rounds were .1 back so I was playing of 14.6 and then had 42 points in the weekly comp. That was followed by another at least 5/6 1's back,ha

jaysus your back must be broke with all that pullin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

3 x 40 points could be a reduction of at least 3.6 over 3 rounds.
    46 could be a reduction of 3 shots before you consider ESR.
    There's at least 6.6 shots unless CSS is fairly high.

agree

something is not stacking up here

Not sure what or how the CSS works, but I know the round I shot 40pts, I got .3 of a cut if that makes it any sense? when I scored 46 points, it was in team event and it did not effect my handicap. should that be right? As I said, I have never been a member of course before so I am only learning on a lot of these things.

Not sure what or how the CSS works, but I know the round I shot 40pts, I got .3 of a cut if that makes it any sense? when I scored 46 points, it was in team event and it did not effect my handicap. should that be right? As I said, I have never been a member of course before so I am only learning on a lot of these things.

CSS was 39
    that's very high - explains a bit alright

if you can shoot 46 points off 13/14, I agree we all have purple rounds like that above our normal ability, but it does still mean you have the talent to actually pull it together
    I still think 10 is to much of a handicap for you with those scores

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Shooting 46 in a team event, did you play your own ball from the tee or how did it work?

Seve OB wrote: »
    CSS was 39
    that's very high - explains a bit alright

if you can shoot 46 points off 13/14, I agree we all have purple rounds like that above our normal ability, but it does still mean you have the talent to actually pull it together
    I still think 10 is to much of a handicap for you with those scores

that makes sense now, I actually did not know that's how it worked. Sorry to stay of topic with stupid questions but is there a way of knowing the CSS before you tee off or is it likely to change from week to week? I do feel i should be playing at a lower handicap but I also feel its very hard to get cut, for me to shoot another 40pts + would take a big performance with everything going right. to be honest Id be just happy to hit a buffer every weekend as the .1's back are soul destroying!!!

Keano wrote: »
    Shooting 46 in a team event, did you play your own ball from the tee or how did it work?

i was GAA society for my local club. the format was best drive on each hole(bar par 3's) and 2 best scores, unfortunately none of my mates are golfers so we did not score very well combined and my drive was used on every other except for 1 I think, also my score was used on each hole too!!!!

that makes sense now, I actually did not know that's how it worked. Sorry to stay of topic with stupid questions but is there a way of knowing the CSS before you tee off or is it likely to change from week to week? I do feel i should be playing at a lower handicap but I also feel its very hard to get cut, for me to shoot another 40pts + would take a big performance with everything going right. to be honest Id be just happy to hit a buffer every weekend as the .1's back are soul destroying!!!

CSS is competition standard scratch
    so depends on the results on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Super. Well done and wish you guys continued success

We had a nice little incident last week. We had an English visitor who called to play nine holes last Thursday. He enjoyed the experience so much he came back again Friday. He was so impressed with the condition of the course that he sought out the greenkeeper to give him a tip. It was a lovely gesture and affirmation of all the good work that is going on in the club at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Played a lot of golf so far this year - no club comp wins but some society (work & pub) success (all notified of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Benildus wrote: »
    Played a lot of golf so far this year - no club comp wins but some society (work & pub) success (all notified of course)

Did your club make any handicap adjustments based on the notifications?

Gwon..... Tell us about your golfing year..... You know you want to;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

So, seeing as the end of Qualifying is nigh in Knightsbrook, i'm relatively happy with how my year has progressed.

Started the year on 16.8 - drifted out to 17.3 and am now on 15.8

Had a few lessons which helped with Iron striking, but seems the biggest improvement for me this year was off the tee, and with the putter. New driver helped tighten up my fairways hit, and found something that worked with the putter.

Hopefully a few more weeks left to try get to my target which was 15. Playing with a lot of single figure handicappers and they've really rubbed off, with advice such as getting more small cuts as you go makes it easier for you rather than several big ones. Made sense to me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Gwon..... Tell us about your golfing year..... You know you want to;)

Already did a couple of pages back....might have to put in a quick revision :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Open to correction but unless you know the CSS for that day how can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Yes they did, I was cut by one shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Started the season off a HC of 12 and will end the season off 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Only my second year playing.
    Started with a 28.0 handicap. Went up to 29.0. Then went down to 27.4 and now on 27.8.

Ive played in 90% of the comps since the snow melted in March/April.
    I feel like I've been improving a lot. Most comps I finish with 34-38 points. Had a 42 pointer a few weeks back aswell. And then the odd one in the twenties.

Won the 2's comp one week aswell.

Been out with the society 3 times aswell. Won something each time. A front 9, back 9 and third overall.

The important thing for me tho is I'm hitting the ball better from the tee and fairway and rough. Have good days where everything goes well and bad days like I've never played the game before. But, I love playing and hopefully get lots more games in before the winter really kicks in.

Advertisement