Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Tropical Storm Helene 17/18 Sep 2018

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Persistent heavy rain in the last hour in Castlebar and quite blustery at times, 10.8mm already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Highest gust at my location here in Kilkenny has been 72.4km/hr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Brutal day here on the Donegal coast, worst days weather I've seen since in quite a while. Sheets of persistent heavy rain blowing near horizontally in the wind at the moment

exactly as here in West Mayo. watching the rain sheeting sideways .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Balmy but breezy conditions in my area of west Cork at the moment. Some rain overnight but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

After rain overnight, it dried up in Cork City. Gusts have been getting stronger as the day goes by however and there are dark clouds to the west which I presume are moving in.

EDIT: Forgot to add that in between the gusts its very humid. School was roasting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Spare a thought for those on ferries to/from France: seas rough to very rough, locally high tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

GreyEagle wrote: »
    Spare a thought for those on ferries to/from France: seas rough to very rough, locally high tonight.

Especially those who have had a load of pints and a tuna sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,917 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Is there some line of something going from kerry to kilkenny and then up to dublin? Run the animation on this https://en.sat24.com/en/gb and there is something there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

spookwoman wrote: »
    Is there some line of something going from kerry to kilkenny and then up to dublin? Run the animation on this https://en.sat24.com/en/gb and there is something there

Mountain waves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That sheer ferocity has eased a little. Still very windy and still sheeting rain, but that sharp edge has eased; met ie say force 6-7 now whereas it was 8 earlier.

Can hear myself think again.

Feeling for anyone who has to be out and about in it .

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Any word on flight disruptions in and out of Cork? Flying in from France tonight. Great 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Recent chart of total precipitable water shows the moisture-rich ex-Helene as the yellow 50-mm areas just to our southwest. Joyce is the more circular area down near the Azores.

2018AL10_16KMTPWP_201809171356.GIF

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

no.8 wrote: »
    Any word on flight disruptions in and out of Cork? Flying in from France tonight. Great 

Should be no problems.
    Raining here constantly all evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

23.3mm of rain for the day in Castlebar, nothing really out of the ordinary with more interesting weather possibly on the horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Dense heavy mizzle in waterford making driving conditions bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

24.7mm SW donegal last 24 hours but that fell in about 6 hours last night but not like we dont get that at other times, tonight could be more worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

24.7mm SW donegal last 24 hours but that fell in about 6 hours last night but not like we dont get that at other times, tonight could be more worrying
    Total from Helene: 1mm.
    Total for Sept so far at Dublin Airport: 24mm.
    This is the fifth consecutive month of below average rainfall (May-Sept) and April was only a little above average so I am surprised that there aren't overnight water restrictions in my parts yet? There are obviously still high soil moisture deficits in eastern areas.
    If this happens and October is anticyclonic and dry?

ECM1-240.GIF?18-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Total from Helene: 1mm.
    Total for Sept so far at Dublin Airport: 24mm.
    This is the fifth consecutive month of below average rainfall (May-Sept) and April was only a little above average so I am surprised that there aren't overnight water restrictions in my parts yet? There are obviously still high soil moisture deficits in eastern areas.
    If this happens and October is anticyclonic and dry?

ECM1-240.GIF?18-12

I've a feeling that the hosepipe ban will be extended,Helene brought very little rain to the East last night. Heavy mist being blown on the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

e08omem.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So was Helene a bit of an anti-climax?
    OK so the rain was persistent last night up here in North Donegal, but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

NIMAN wrote: »
    OK so the rain was persistent last night up here in North Donegal, but nothing out of the ordinary.
    West Waterford didn't have an unusual rain/wind. It's was consitent rain and mild wind throughout the night, which is not rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

conditions yesterday in Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

NIMAN wrote: »

Yesterday was actually a grand day in Galway. There was heavyish rain for about an hour but otherwise it was warm and blustery with the odd shower. I love walking in that weather. Maybe there was a lot of rain last night but it didn't seem so in the morning. A typical Autumn day, nothing more.

Advertisement