Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel bans on the way?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd love to know how this would be enforced. Are there going to be exhaust pipe police out on the beat?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

They have already started banning cars in French cities dependent on the emissions.

You have to get a windscreen sticker (which only costs about a fiver) although I think I was the only Irish car I saw with one this summer.

We had ours too sunny.
    But we never went into any city centres by car so we never had to display it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

edit:
    This I have to look into further. It seems it has changed recently and now a petrol would have to be Euro 4 to get a green Plakette, but it is a bit unlcear to me if an older car that was previously issued the green Plakette would still be allowed into the city.

Me thinks it was always like that. In 2007 my Euro2 petrol was only yellow...

I'd love to know how this would be enforced. Are there going to be exhaust pipe police out on the beat?

Traffic wardens etc could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

trik wrote:
    I think that every incoming Minister of Finance must swear an oath "Tax everything that moves".

Of course why wouldn't they. They need money to spend as government in of itself produces nothing. It can only tax and spend or just spend and put the debt onto its citizens. The Irish seem completely fine with their wages being taken hand over fist in the hope the government will provide said services with their money. History tells us that government do a piss poor job in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The French pay no heed to the Crit-air plan as far as I can see, very very few vehicles in France have the disc and I did 2.5k there this year.

We were in the Loire and a few French cars had it. By no means all.

There's actually more restricted zones than I thought there was having just looked! Not sure this will go the way of the breathalyser fiasco!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

We were in the Loire and a few French cars had it. By no means all.

There's actually more restricted zones than I thought there was having just looked! Not sure this will go the way of the breathalyser fiasco!

I went through at least 5 Crit air zones, including Strasbourg city centre, I had the sticker but didn't fix it to the windscreen and I saw no one checking them at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Not sure this will go the way of the breathalyser fiasco!

What's the breathalyser fiasco?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Sabre Man wrote: »
    What's the breathalyser fiasco?

Do you not remember a few years ago the law changed in France so that you needed a breathalyzer and a spare in the car? I've still got a couple but they are long out of date now.

I think it's now in a weird limbo where enforcement of the law has been postponed indefinitely due to problems with supply. I think someone in govt had links to a supplier or something.

Proposed fine was only €11!

https://www.drive-france.com/faqs/france-breathalyzer-law/

Also, I stuck my crit-air sticker in the wrong place, d'oh!

Do you not remember a few years ago the law changed in France so that you needed a breathalyzer and a spare in the car? I've still got a couple but they are long out of date now.

I think it's now in a weird limbo where enforcement of the law has been postponed indefinitely due to problems with supply. I think someone in govt had links to a supplier or something.

Proposed fine was only €11!

https://www.drive-france.com/faqs/france-breathalyzer-law/

I heard about the law but not what happened afterwards. Thanks for the update.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Has anybody here bought a brand new diesel? Are they worried about it falling in value, due to Diesel engines becoming uncool with tree huggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Has anybody here bought a brand new diesel? Are they worried about it falling in value, due to Diesel engines becoming uncool with tree huggers?

I bought one last year.
    I will buy another next year,
    Can you see Paddy down the road suddenly becoming a tree hugger? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I expect to see diesels on the road as mainstream cars for another 10 years probably more.

The focus should be to get people who don’t need a diesel out of them, most were tricked into buying them by cheap tax and talk of cheap economic motoring but it doesn’t work for low mileage drivers.

Outside major urban areas there is still a great need for diesel vehicles, not every vehicle but a great number.

A measure that tackles diesel and indeed combustion engines within urban areas should be the immediate focus as alternatives are available.

In time when technology advances diesels in rural areas will become less attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

KevinCavan wrote: »

Yes, a 172 Octavia VRs.

In 10 years time, it'll be worth nothing because I'll put 400,000 km on it, so I don't care what the resale hit is from green regs.

Hopefully there will be real electric cars on sale in 10 years time, and I won't have to buy another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What will be interesting is what will happen to the booming SUV market. All those giant senseless boxes were diesel.
    Either all these will have the 1 liter, 3 cylinder, 17 turbo engine that puts out 250 hp which will definitely have no drawbacks whatsoever, or they will have to go US style with a 4 liter V8 and that is not going to happen.
    So maybe all cars in the future will have these miserable 3 cylinder engines?

What will be interesting is what will happen to the booming SUV market. All those giant senseless boxes were diesel.
    Either all these will have the 1 liter, 3 cylinder, 17 turbo engine that puts out 250 hp which will definitely have no drawbacks whatsoever, or they will have to go US style with a 4 liter V8 and that is not going to happen.

Plug in hybrid tech is improving at a decent rate.

Mitsubishi PHEV Outlander aren't 1 liter, 3 cylinder, 17 turbo engine or US style with a 4 liter V8 iirc :)

There really isn't much of a problem for the next 10/20 years.
    Even at €2/litre and 30 mpg 10,000 miles can be done for €3000, that's €60/week :)

Loads and loads of Euro 6 approved vehicles shall be pottering about for decades for those of us not wanting to buy a new whatever is in vogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Crossover market is booming. The SUV market is still the same. So you have

Kia Niro PHEV(currently available)
    Kia Niro BEV(coming at end of year)
    Hyundai Kona(order in next month)
    Nissan Qashqai Hybrid(scheduled)
    Nissan Qashqai BEV(out next year)
    VW Crozz(2020)
    Ford SMAX Hybrid(2019)
    Toyota Rav4 Hybrid New model(2019)
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid(available now)
    Lexus Crossover, dont know models but available now

They are just a few....the market will be full of Crossover hybrids or BEV come 2020

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Thanks. Is there a link to a glossary somehwere? I don't know what a tracker mortgage BEV is. :)

edit:
    Got it. Bayrischer Eissport Verband. :D (ok, I know now it's a battery electric vehicle)

Thanks. Is there a link to a glossary somehwere? I don't know what a tracker mortgage BEV is. :)

edit:
    Got it. Bayrischer Eissport Verband. :D (ok, I know now it's a battery electric vehicle)

Battery Electric Vehicle......

I just hate it when people call them EV :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Battery Electric Vehicle......

I just hate it when people call them EV :P

Noted :D

p.s. Maybe your strong and oft expressed opposition to diesel cars should be refocused elsewhere? https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/104582/exclusive-uk-refrigerated-truck-emissions-equal-to-18-million-cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

trik wrote: »
    I think that every incoming Minister of Finance must swear an oath "Tax everything that moves".

Should I be worried as a cyclist?

Noted :D

p.s. Maybe your strong and oft expressed opposition to diesel cars should be refocused elsewhere? https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/104582/exclusive-uk-refrigerated-truck-emissions-equal-to-18-million-cars

I have expressed opposition to all cars, petrol/diesel/hybrid/electric

My preference is not to move everyone from diesel to electric, but to move from car to public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

My preference is not to move everyone from diesel to electric, but to move from car to public transport

You'll have to pry my keys from my toasty-warm fingers.

The Crossover market is booming. The SUV market is still the same. So you have

Kia Niro PHEV(currently available)
    Kia Niro BEV(coming at end of year)
    Hyundai Kona(order in next month)
    Nissan Qashqai Hybrid(scheduled)
    Nissan Qashqai BEV(out next year)
    VW Crozz(2020)
    Ford SMAX Hybrid(2019)
    Toyota Rav4 Hybrid New model(2019)
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid(available now)
    Lexus Crossover, dont know models but available now

Also
    Tesla Model X
    Jaguar I-PACE
    Mercedes EQC (2019)
    Audi e-tron quattro (will be unveiled Monday 17 September)

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Also
    Tesla Model X
    Jaguar I-PACE
    Mercedes EQC (2019)
    Audi e-tron quattro (will be unveiled Monday 17 September)

I was looking at the lower price bracket :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I have expressed opposition to all cars, petrol/diesel/hybrid/electric

You said lots of stuff, including - I'm not concerned outside of Dublin :D which means your opinion is limited and unbalanced.

You said lots of stuff, including - I'm not concerned outside of Dublin :D which means your opinion is limited and unbalanced.

Pointless comment of the day award goes to......

Two awards in one day.....congratulations

Pointless comment of the day award goes to......

Two awards in one day.....congratulations

There you go again. Instant condescension at something you simply don't agree with. Thankfully your awards are without relevance or value.

My point is entirely valid though.

I was looking at the lower price bracket :-)

I wouldn't consider Lexus to be in the lower price bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cupra Ateca on the way - 300bhp Cupra engine with DSG.

Talks of a Kuga RS in the pipeline as well.

Advertisement