Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel bans on the way?

Options
  • 06-09-2018 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭

Strange that nobody has mentioned it here (obviously if it was in the UK it'd be posted in 5 minutes as if it actually happened in Ireland) but the momentum against diesels is gathering pace at an almighty rate in diesel loving Germany, with an astounding decision yesterday by a court for a blanket ban of all but the newest diesel cars in Frankfurt to protect the health of citizens (not too dissimilar to the reasoning behind the smoking ban being seen as being necessary).

Up to now, Euro 3 diesels and lower were banned from most cities, but that'd be the like of a ford focus from 2000 or older, so the effects on car owners were somewhat limited especially with scrappage deals .

With the new ruling, and theres more cities to follow and possibly a national ruling in the supreme court, Euro 4 is to be banned in the coming spring and unbelievably also Euro 5 in the Autumn, meaning only Euro 6 approved vehicles can drive in Frankfurt and likely other cities to follow in the next weeks with more pending rulings that will be swayed by this precedent .

Euro 6, in Ford Focus terms, is only available since 2014, Golfs from the year before, so theres a LOT of people with 2014 and barely older cars getting banned off the road.

In Germany nobody believed this would happen, the politicians have been flashing plans for bike lanes and whatnot in the courts and were confident that vague promises for some developments sometime in the next decade or 2 were sufficient to placate the courts, and now they really have been caught out and its panic stations to try and find a solution!

Whats the chances of this also happening in Ireland any time soon in towns and cities, are there any cases pending ?

Comments

With the new ruling, and theres more cities to follow and possibly a national ruling in the supreme court, Euro 4 is to be banned in the coming spring and unbelievably also Euro 5 in the Autumn, meaning only Euro 6 approved vehicles can drive in Frankfurt and likely other cities to follow in the next weeks with more pending rulings that will be swayed by this precedent .

Euro 6, in Ford Focus terms, is only available since 2014, Golfs from the year before.............

Whats the chances of this also happening in Ireland any time soon in towns and cities, are there any cases pending ?

Close to zero IMO, we haven't had Euro 3 diesels and lower banned anywhere as yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

Is it just cars or trucks, vans and lorries also? We're so far behind on this front and there's so many diesel owners who bought due to government incentives, the uproar would be huge!

The ban is from the city centres btw.........it's not actually forcing folk to bin their cars as such...........

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-frankfurt/german-court-says-frankfurt-must-ban-older-diesel-cars-idUSKCN1LL2GC

".......Frankfurt, Germany’s financial center, must ban highly-polluting, older diesel vehicles from the city center........"

"...The court also ordered other measures to cut pollution in Frankfurt such as more electric buses, higher parking fees and more park-and-ride places on the outskirts of the city"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

As usual, we'll wait to see what UK does and copy it poorly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

First they came for diesel, and I did not speak out—because I did not drive a diesel.

Then they came for petrol, and I did not speak out— because I did not drive petrol.

Then they came for the hybrid, and I did not speak out—because I did not drive a hybrid.

Then they came for electric—and there was no one left to speak for me.

There is a push to take private transport out of cities, as car free cities make better places to live. I imagine the idea of driving any car, no matter what it's power train will be prohibited in many cities in 15-20 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Is it just cars or trucks, vans and lorries also? We're so far behind on this front and there's so many diesel owners who bought due to government incentives, the uproar would be huge!
    in Frankfurt, everything has to be euro 6, even 325 city busses need to be retrofitted with Euro6 filters to allow them to continue to be used .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Strange that nobody has mentioned it here (obviously if it was in the UK it'd be posted in 5 minutes as if it actually happened in Ireland) but the momentum against diesels is gathering pace at an almighty rate in diesel loving Germany, with an astounding decision yesterday by a court for a blanket ban of all but the newest diesel cars in Frankfurt to protect the health of citizens (not too dissimilar to the reasoning behind the smoking ban being seen as being necessary).

Up to now, Euro 3 diesels and lower were banned from most cities, but that'd be the like of a ford focus from 2000 or older, so the effects on car owners were somewhat limited especially with scrappage deals .

Euro 6, in Ford Focus terms, is only available since 2014, Golfs from the year before, so theres a LOT of people with 2014 and barely older cars getting banned off the road.

In Germany nobody believed this would happen, the politicians have been flashing plans for bike lanes and whatnot in the courts and were confident that vague promises for some developments sometime in the next decade or 2 were sufficient to placate the courts, and now they really have been caught out and its panic stations to try and find a solution!

The massive fields of unsold diesel cars would imply that people knew that it was coming. Anyone with an iota of knowledge knew that diesel should never have been pushed as much as it was for being environmental friendly, all it does is possibly save a few polar bears in a few decades by killing thousands of people now. There's still a place for diesels but not in our towns and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Strange that nobody has mentioned it here
    Diesel ban has been mentioned in many threads
    www.google.ie/search?q=diesel+ban+site:boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

As usual, we'll wait to see what UK does and copy it poorly

...10 to 15 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Congestion charges in major cities would be a great place to start.

So much tax money goes into Luas, trains, dart, city bus, cycle to work. Let’s force people out of their cars to use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Del2005 wrote: »
    The massive fields of unsold diesel cars would imply that people knew that it was coming. Anyone with an iota of knowledge knew that diesel should never have been pushed as much as it was for being environmental friendly, all it does is possibly save a few polar bears in a few decades by killing thousands of people now. There's still a place for diesels but not in our towns and cities.

The thing is that diesel cars were never encouraged in Germany. People bought them even though they were more expensive than petrol equivalent due to their fuel economy which could provide good savings for someone travelling regularly on autobahn.

Ban for diesels in cities (in form of umweltzones) is not a new thing and was extended regularly firstly banning oldest diesels with no euro rating and euro1 then euro2 and later euro3. So now upcoming ban for euro3 and euro5 seems like natural follow up, which everyone were expecting anyway.

People will still use older diesels for travelling on autobahn and outside cities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CiniO wrote: »
    The thing is that diesel cars were never encouraged in Germany. People bought them even though they were more expensive than petrol equivalent due to their fuel economy which could provide good savings for someone travelling regularly on autobahn.

Ban for diesels in cities (in form of umweltzones) is not a new thing and was extended regularly firstly banning oldest diesels with no euro rating and euro1 then euro2 and later euro3. So now upcoming ban for euro3 and euro5 seems like natural follow up, which everyone were expecting anyway.

People will still use older diesels for travelling on autobahn and outside cities.

Absolutely. I have a Euro 4 diesel with DPF, which is used for my commute.
    Diesel bans will affect high-profile inner city locations in the major cities, because it looks good and is giving the impression that "something" is being done.
    Locations I have been to about 5 times in my life with a car.
    Ironically, if all but the very latest and cleanest diesels are banned, I can buy a mid 90's BMW or Merc for buttons, they all have cat, they all have a green Plakette, so they're all allowed into the cities.
    The fact that they may only be Euro 3, the cat may be a bit knackered and the exhaust leaky, the engine a bit worn at 500000km out and burning oil, a tad smoky and smelly is completely irrelevant in this context. They are "better" than a brand new Euro 5 (or even 6) diesel and therefore AOK in the city, so who am I to argue.
    I certainly won't be splashing out more than 500 on my "green" city car.

But I have to agree with a previous poster. This could be the start to ban ALL cars (or at least all ICE) from city centers and make it accessible via public transport only.
    In the long run, this is the only logical solution and I would be totally behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

So much fake news here. It's a Frankfurt ban not a Germany wide or motorway ban. We'll only realise the benefits once they're dropped in large urban areas. Diesels are no good for the city / town due to the toxicity indicators. Keep them in the country and the motorway networks and interurban routes and encourage hybrid/battery and cycling elsewhere. Horses for courses like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Trasna1 wrote: »
    First they came for diesel, and I did not speak out—because I did not drive a diesel.

Then they came for petrol, and I did not speak out— because I did not drive petrol.

Then they came for the hybrid, and I did not speak out—because I did not drive a hybrid.

Then they came for electric—and there was no one left to speak for me.

There is a push to take private transport out of cities, as car free cities make better places to live. I imagine the idea of driving any car, no matter what it's power train will be prohibited in many cities in 15-20 years time.

Godwin does not own a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

They will probably ban the sale of new diesel vehicles at some stage in the future. Whenever theres enough data to prove that its harm to public health outweighs the positives. The sooner the better. Diesel had its best days in the 90's for me. Diesel hybrid for licenced commercial van and trucks should be the height of it in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭moonship

Before banning diesels from Dublin city i propose to introduce ban to illegal waste burning by Travelling community in north dublin happening most nights all year around and also illegal burning of waste in Rathcoole which were going on for 3 months this year every night. Not to mention accidental fire in one of the recycling centres.

Thats the source of pollution not diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Are they banning euro 4 diesels, or all euro 4 cars?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

They have already started banning cars in French cities dependent on the emissions.

You have to get a windscreen sticker (which only costs about a fiver) although I think I was the only Irish car I saw with one this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They have already started banning cars in French cities dependent on the emissions.

You have to get a windscreen sticker (which only costs about a fiver) although I think I was the only Irish car I saw with one this summer.

The French pay no heed to the Crit-air plan as far as I can see, very very few vehicles in France have the disc and I did 2.5k there this year.

grogi wrote: »
    Are they banning euro 4 diesels, or all euro 4 cars?!

Only diesels. And it's up to 5, and maybe even some early Euro 6 models. Any petrol car with a green Plakette is still good.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=264961928&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&fuels=PETROL&isSearchRequest=true&maxPrice=1000&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&usage=USED&steered=1&searchId=b2b4ccbf-1d15-721d-f254-95a6bd8f4fac

So, 1998, petrol, probably Euro 3, but it has that all important green sticker.
    Drinks about 10 liters, CO2 is 212 gram, but for city driving this is as green as Kermit the Frog.
    In fact any petrol with a 3-way cat will get this sticker, so a mid 80's Audi will also be allowed.
    But dare you not drive in there with your brand new diesel, Euro 5 (or even early 6), cat, DPF, 4.5 liters/100km, because that is a baby-killer!

But buy any old, sub €500 petrol banger, and you're good.

• Advertisement

Ah, what was I saying?

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=254023391&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&fuels=PETROL&isSearchRequest=true&maxFirstRegistrationDate=1990&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&usage=USED&fnai=prev&steered=1&searchId=cab54ebf-3e0d-b96c-e8da-8ad6e5028b47

Euro 1!! Green Plakette, good to go!
    So leave your 2017 diesel at home and drive this into the city center.

edit:
    This I have to look into further. It seems it has changed recently and now a petrol would have to be Euro 4 to get a green Plakette, but it is a bit unlcear to me if an older car that was previously issued the green Plakette would still be allowed into the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

_Brian wrote: »
    Congestion charges in major cities would be a great place to start.

So much tax money goes into Luas, trains, dart, city bus, cycle to work. Let’s force people out of their cars to use them.

Public transport especially rail is already overcrowded at peak. So that's not going to be very practical.

Cycling is the only thing that has a lot of spare capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The fact that they may only be Euro 3, the cat may be a bit knackered and the exhaust leaky, the engine a bit worn at 500000km out and burning oil, a tad smoky and smelly is completely irrelevant in this context. They are "better" than a brand new Euro 5 (or even 6) diesel and therefore AOK in the city, so who am I to argue.

Yes, that's how filthy diesel is.

I remember many years ago reading that the exhaust from a cat-equipped petrol Saab was cleaner than the intake air in Los Angeles - drive your car through the city and clean the air as you go!

Of course, you are putting out CO2 which is bad, but not in amounts that are bad for people in the city (until it is under the sea).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I remember many years ago reading that the exhaust from a cat-equipped petrol Saab was cleaner than the intake air in Los Angeles - drive your car through the city and clean the air as you go!.

Jeremy Clarkson said that about Porsche too , would take it with a pinch of salt

Sounds a bit green party dieselesque really, "cleaner" in some ways no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 trik

Ireland won't ban diesels, just tax them to oblivion instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

trik wrote: »
    Ireland won't ban diesels, just tax them to oblivion instead.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Already doing the taxing to oblivion on below 08s

• Registered Users Posts: 32 trik

firstlight wrote: »
    Already doing the taxing to oblivion on below 08s

I think that every incoming Minister of Finance must swear an oath "Tax everything that moves".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

trik wrote: »
    I think that every incoming Minister of Finance must swear an oath "Tax everything that moves".

I'd say so
    More to tax people who can't afford newer cars
    Easy targets
    If you can't afford anything newer than 08 how can you afford newer technology cars
    Good luck with that
    Not many fancy electric vehicles in my area

Advertisement