Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallagher Premiership 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

They look like a team potentially 18 months away from Championship rugby.

It's as much as they'd deserve.

My first visit to the Ricoh was on Sunday and there's just something so artificial and unappealing about Wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Clegg wrote: »
    Also remember that Christian Wade quit rugby earlier this season and Cipriani left Wasps for Gloucester in the summer. If Daly leaves they'll have lost their most creative and lethal backs in the space of 12 months. If Launchbury joins Hughes in leaving, the heart of their pack is ripped out as well.

Have to ask wtf is going on behind the scenes. Their best players are all leaving.

They look like a team potentially 18 months away from Championship rugby.
    I don't know if I'd go that far. They've managed to recruit well enough in the forwards. Nizaam Carr is a very good backrow. Not entirely convinced by Shields as a top level player but in your run of the mill league game he's fine. They're losing Cooper-Wooley in the summer as well. He's a decent club level prop. I know they're getting an All Black prop but that's a lot of turnover in the space of a year. Sopoaga has so far been a flop however.

Even if Daly and Launchbury stay their backline and pack have been weakened considerably. Maybe not enough for them to go down a division, but we probably won't see them near the top of the table for a while.

They're also losing Cooper-Wooley in the summer as well. He's a decent club level prop as well.

Even if Daly and Launchbury stay their backline and pack have been weakened considerably.

As Venjur said though, it's the Pro14's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

There's a lot of hate for Wasps but f**k it, they tried something different. They could have gone on lurching from rented ground to rented ground, losing more supporters every time and would eventually have run out of road. The move to Coventry hasn't been perfect but the crowds coming through the gates have held up well and absolutely dwarf what they had previously.

We all love a bit of bitter schadenfreude but the Irish provinces need the English clubs to be successful. If they fail, we're f**ked.

There's a lot of hate for Wasps but f**k it, they tried something different. They could have gone on lurching from rented ground to rented ground, losing more supporters every time and would eventually have run out of road. The move to Coventry hasn't been perfect but the crowds coming through the gates have held up well and absolutely dwarf what they had previously.

We all love a bit of bitter schadenfreude but the Irish provinces need the some English clubs to be successful. If they fail, we're f**ked.

FYP. We don't want Wasps like clubs succeeding. Spending the sport into financial oblivion. We want teams like Exeter and Saracens to succeed. Not that they're afraid of throwing cash around but they are ultimately built on academies.

• Advertisement

We all love a bit of bitter schadenfreude but the Irish provinces need the English clubs to be successful. If they fail, we're f**ked.

There's no hate for Wasps at all? People were dismissive of Dai Young's comments last week regarding Leinster's depth but for the most part I've found media commentators and certainly posters on here have always been traditionally complimentary of the type of rugby Wasps play whilst being sceptical of their corporate finance.

Now that their finances are a train wreck people are highlighting the potential fallout from that.

I haven't seen any hate however, some smugness sure but nothing approaching hate. Posters on an internet forum pointing out that the scepticism was well founded isn't wishing ill on premiership clubs. Premiership clubs have done this exclusively to themselves. They've pushed our costs up also by forcing the IRFU / provinces to pay higher wages to retain players. A bit of smugness is going to be inevitable in the circumstances.

There's no hate for Wasps at all? People were dismissive of Dai Young's comments last week regarding Leinster's depth but for the most part I've found media commentators and certainly posters on here have always been traditionally complimentary of the type of rugby Wasps play whilst being sceptical of their corporate finance.

Now that their finances are a train wreck people are highlighting the potential fallout from that.

I haven't seen any hate however, some smugness sure but nothing approaching hate. Posters on an internet forum pointing out that the scepticism was well founded isn't wishing ill on premiership clubs. Premiership clubs have done this exclusively to themselves. They've pushed our costs up also by forcing the IRFU / provinces to pay higher wages to retain players. A bit of smugness is going to be inevitable in the circumstances.

I don't hate Wasps either and up until this season, I thought they played a particularly attractive brand of rugby. They still show flashes of it.

I just strongly dislike the entire club management ethos at the board level. And it's hard not to be pissed off at Dai Young. By saying that Leinster have the benefit of being rested, he's effectively saying that a player like James Ryan is only as dominant as he is because he's not tired. He refuses to give Leinster credit for having genuinely world class players.

Today the Daily Mail have helpfully posted an article about the pending departure of Daly to Saracens. They also say Sale want Launchbury, but that he still has a year left on his contract which Wasps will have him honour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-6629389/Wasps-blow-Elliot-Daly-heads-Saracens.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490&fbclid=IwAR2NBthhLwf9VHLcMWd99YM-OioP6S0PbWYumwc9VmTWaHfm8EFECs7FzdY

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Today the Daily Mail have helpfully posted an article about the pending departure of Daly to Saracens. They also say Sale want Launchbury, but that he still has a year left on his contract which Wasps will have him honour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-6629389/Wasps-blow-Elliot-Daly-heads-Saracens.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490&fbclid=IwAR2NBthhLwf9VHLcMWd99YM-OioP6S0PbWYumwc9VmTWaHfm8EFECs7FzdY

He has a clause in his contract about the training facilities apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rumours on social media that Sale are after Kitschoff and Retallick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The Rugby Paper had the Retallick one as a headline.

The Kitschoff rumours have been around for a while. I think the Retallick one is new though. That CVC deal is really putting in work now.

Feel for these English clubs fighting against those Irish sides that have stacked the game unfairly in their favour.

There's no way Retallick abandons his international career at 27.

He'll get a four year deal with the NZRU that allows for a a one season sabbatical in Japan. That's their only way forward.

Well if New Zealand win the world cup this year Retallick will have his second winners medal. He's already won everything worth winning. Why not cash in when he's young and could get 4 or 5 years worth of megabucks deals?

He could even leave for two years, earn millions, then come back a few years before the world cup, and still be guaranteed a starting position with the All Blacks.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Worst kept secret in rugby.

Doesn't confirm he's moving to Saracens though. Surely they won't have the cap room for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

troyzer wrote: »
    Worst kept secret in rugby.

Doesn't confirm he's moving to Saracens though. Surely they won't have the cap room for him?

Worst kept secret? I must have been living under a rock for theaat few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bilston wrote: »
    Worst kept secret? I must have been living under a rock for theaat few weeks

There's been talk of him going to Saracens for months now. All because of the training ground clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There's been talk of him going to Saracens for months now. All because of the training ground clause.

Fair enough. I don't really pay attention to the Premiership until the play offs and even then I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Saracens confirmed they have signed Elliot Daly.

Serious back three of Maitland, Daly, Williams and they still have Alex Goode who I highly rate

• Advertisement

Saracens will have a pack and backline that can dominate England and Europe for years.

I am shocked. SHOCKED!!!

Seriously though, how are Saracens paying for all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am shocked. SHOCKED!!!

Apparently he's taking a pay cut to play there.

Crazy to think he's only 26.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am shocked. SHOCKED!!!

Jesus. That's a fairly damning indictment of Wasps as an organisation.

errlloyd wrote: »

Officially maybe.

Have Sarries announced anyone is leaving

Leaving Wasps is a daily trend on twitter

https://twitter.com/joesimpson9/status/1093149945685819394?s=19

Going to Gloucester apparently, and Vellacott is going to Wasps.

• Advertisement

Quins have already been fined £7k for overrunning last year. Seems like they're actually starting to take an interest in enforcing the cap. Or feigning to.

Advertisement