Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel Allen’s son arrested for €30,000 drugs seizure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,247 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is that right that the catalogue is only good for 50 years for royalties after the artist death then it enters the public domain? I dont think Jackson was so smart but he had smart people working for him.

56 years i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

56 years i think

Just checked its actually 70 years!!!!!
    https://www.openmicuk.co.uk/advice/music-royalties-explained/

I am guessing as the remaining Beatles are about 80? They are good for another 10-20 years? Plus 70? so that is another 80-90 years? Dont you wish you could show this to Brian Epstein to day? Then show him what we call "music" today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Really? I doubt that was Paul's decision, I would say that was made off the back of some accountant or financial advisor who just saw it as "old" music. That must have been the thinking when Brian Epstein sold it. I wonder what it was estimated at the time, earned since and valued at now.

Maybe Jakko wasnt so whacko after all?

Nah, even Paul admitted it himself that Jackson asked him first and Paul gave him his blessing. Sean Lennon and Yoko Ono have all said this. Why Paul felt the need to play victim over it in interviews in years afterwards is something I have no clue over. :confused: Maybe he did feel pissed that Jackson wouldn't give him a cut of it for nothing?
    Paul was 100% offered to bid for it and decided not to go for it. He probably gave his reasons in an interview somewhere but, I haven't come across it yet.

Was one of Jackson's great business ideas for sure (not that there were many) but, I have noticed in researching his life over the last 12-14 months that as soon as he bought it, the media slowly started to turn on him. Didn't help matters he kept his skin condition quiet for so long of course but, it's an interesting turning point in my opinion. Maybe there was an element of racism to it, maybe not :confused:

Anyways, will have a look to see can I find any interview where Paul gives his reasons why he didn't go for it. I know he did own other artist's catalogues... Surely it would have made sense to sell those one's for his own catalogue and a load of others?

Ha...This has taken a turn from the thread topic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Is that right that the catalogue is only good for 50 years for royalties after the artist death then it enters the public domain? I dont think Jackson was so smart but he had smart people working for him.

It was Paul who gave Jackson the idea to buy music catalogues. By Paul's own admission, they were having dinner one night and Paul was openly bragging about owning and making money out of owning other catalogues. He told Jackson that first chance he gets, buy into it

Quite ironic in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Cannabis is a gateway drug

There is just as much evidence (statistical and research) to this being total codswallop as being true, so at best it is conjecture.

people go soft in the head over time, so effects are not immediately seen.

Is that a diagnosis ?
    Soft in the head syndrome ?
    Is it similar to dementia or alzheimers, because low dosages of CBD and THC have been found to delay and inhibit the onset of both of those "soft in the head" conditions in lab experiments.
    You should really spend more time into looking

You should try reading some factual information about narcotics and addiction before you throw assertions and conjecture around. You might learn a thing or two. You'd never know, you may even learn enough to be a little more compasssionate or understanding about the subject and realize that none of this is a reflection on cottage industry
    Maybe try letting his problems be a personal matter for him and the Allen family rather than some bizzare gossip mill reflection of what they do for a living or how it damages their "brand".
    Giving that sort of bollollogy oxygen is exactly the sort of narrow minded idiocy that keeps the problem of addiction from being addressed as a mental health issue, or a symptom of a larger mental health issue.

• Advertisement

There is just as much evidence (statistical and research) to this being total codswallop as being true, so at best it is conjecture.

Is that a diagnosis ?
    Soft in the head syndrome ?
    Is it similar to dementia or alzheimers, because low dosages of CBD and THC have been found to delay and inhibit the onset of both of those "soft in the head" conditions in lab experiments.

You should try reading some factual information about narcotics and addiction before you throw assertions and conjecture around. You might learn a thing or two. You'd never know, you may even learn enough to be a little more compasssionate or understanding about the subject and realize that none of this is a reflection on cottage industry
    Maybe try letting his problems be a personal matter for him and the Allen family rather than some bizzare gossip mill reflection of what they do for a living or how it damages their "brand".
    Giving that sort of bollollogy oxygen is exactly the sort of narrow minded idiocy that keeps the problem of addiction from being addressed as a mental health issue, or a symptom of a larger mental health issue.

I am sure that is true of every junkie I have to wade past on Abbey Street and OConnell street. They all must have started with Heroin obviously. Little Josh graduated from Cannabis to Cocaine.

Its not Alzheimer's but it is some sort of dementia. They have problems with memory and end with their lives robbed of purpose.

If you put yourself up on a pillar of public opinion you can be prepared taken down a lot. This is Mr Skooterblue has no web page or facebook. It is in the national press and is fair game to comment on. His "personal Problem" would never have come to light if his family had taken appropriate steps. I have done my compassion public service of voluntary service (it was a personal choice, not prescribed by a judge, in the wisdom that it would change my life course). It stopped being a personal matter when he decided to import it in bulk.

As for the "brand" how would you feel if you were employed gainfully by Ballymaloe and some little twit well below your paycheque grade start to threaten your job? It also brings into your question your character (lie down with dogs get up with fleas), guilt by associate reflects on everyone. Yes it is wrong but people do think it. Have you ever met anyone who blanks Eir or HMV or DHL business? Has the business changed hand, but the actions of a few people has disastrous effect on the people around them.

There would be no addiction problem if he didnt take it in the first place. I recognise I myself have an addictive personality but I see that deficiency in my personality and have the self discipline to stay away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,146 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I am sure that is true of every junkie I have to wade past on Abbey Street and OConnell street. They all must have started with Heroin obviously. Little Josh graduated from Cannabis to Cocaine.

Its not Alzheimer's but it is some sort of dementia. They have problems with memory and end with their lives robbed of purpose.

If you put yourself up on a pillar of public opinion you can be prepared taken down a lot. This is Mr Skooterblue has no web page or facebook. It is in the national press and is fair game to comment on. His "personal Problem" would never have come to light if his family had taken appropriate steps. I have done my compassion public service of voluntary service (it was a personal choice, not prescribed by a judge, in the wisdom that it would change my life course). It stopped being a personal matter when he decided to import it in bulk.

As for the "brand" how would you feel if you were employed gainfully by Ballymaloe and some little twit well below your paycheque grade start to threaten your job? It also brings into your question your character (lie down with dogs get up with fleas), guilt by associate reflects on everyone. Yes it is wrong but people do think it. Have you ever met anyone who blanks Eir or HMV or DHL business? Has the business changed hand, but the actions of a few people has disastrous effect on the people around them.

There would be no addiction problem if he didnt take it in the first place. I recognise I myself have an addictive personality but I see that deficiency in my personality and have the self discipline to stay away from that.

Then why do you feel the need to punish everyone else for you can handle.

By your standards, every publican is a junkie.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Then why do you feel the need to punish everyone else for you can handle.

By your standards, every publican is a junkie.

I dont feel the need to punish people what I cant handle. I feel the need not have to have observe needles in the park, junkies squatting and pooping on my door because their digestive has just kicked in again because they haven't had a fix in a few days and general headcases fighting over who loves who more and who loves drugs more. Is greedy not want to see that?

All the junkies on merchants quay, Ard Cluain or in the Priory, yeah they are handling it well. Great examples, solid citizens with full positive lives. Poor young Josh cant keep his crap together long enough to do the Junior Cert.

You assume that I cannot handle it? I choose something different. Its that I fill my life with positive things. I dont have time for whities, crapping my pants and waking up not knowing what happened the previous night and a thumping headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I dont feel the need to punish people what I cant handle. I feel the need not have to have observe needles in the park, junkies squatting and pooping on my door because their digestive has just kicked in again because they haven't had a fix in a few days and general headcases fighting over who loves who more and who loves drugs more. Is greedy not want to see that?

All the junkies on merchants quay, Ard Cluain or in the Priory, yeah they are handling it well. Great examples, solid citizens with full positive lives. Poor young Josh cant keep his crap together long enough to do the Junior Cert.

You assume that I cannot handle it? I choose something different. Its that I fill my life with positive things. I dont have time for whities, crapping my pants and waking up not knowing what happened the previous night and a thumping headache.
    Injection centers are coming soon so hopefully we'll see fewer needles and I hope they have toilets in these places. What have you got against young Allen, he may not be very academic that's probably why he didn't do his Junior. He served his time and he was only selling cannabis.

Tomaldo wrote: »
    Injection centers are coming soon so hopefully we'll see fewer needles and I hope they have toilets in these places. What have you got against young Allen, he may not be very academic that's probably why he didn't do his Junior. He served his time and he was only selling cannabis.

I bet they are nowhere near your home? Junkies are messy creatures, they don't care about injection centers. They will shoot up whenever, wherever they like. Junkies drive down the value of houses. I used to live near where they lived. One morning I came down and one was squatting in my porch about to do business, lets put it this way but the time I was done he seriously wished he hadn't.

What I have got against young Allen. I have come up from a fairly basic background and had to work for what I have. I have spent my life trying to improve my community and my family's lot. He has been brought up with everything and he chooses to squander it on weed, dealing drugs and cocaine. Apparts from all that nothing. I know if I did something stupid at that age my father would have rightly beaten me black and blue and rightly so. He did his time but they tried to get him off lightly with the charity "pilgrimage" and the autism diagnosis. The Judge was having none of it, it wasnt happening a second time. He had his warning and his parents didnt take appropriate action, he didnt change. Fupp him.

Life is hard, its harder when you are stupid. John Wayne.

• Advertisement

You said you want to ban drugs, which means everyone, so yes you do. That bit we sorted out ages ago. So the question again, is: why?

You never answered the question about publicans.

Are you agaisnt the sale of use of drugs that are dangerous OR the sale and use of durgs that are illegal? Simple question.

I bet they are nowhere near your home? Junkies are messy creatures, they don't care about injection centers. They will shoot up whenever, wherever they like. Junkies drive down the value of houses. I used to live near where they lived. One morning I came down and one was squatting in my porch about to do business, lets put it this way but the time I was done he seriously wished he hadn't.

What I have got against young Allen. I have come up from a fairly basic background and had to work for what I have. I have spent my life trying to improve my community and my family's lot. He has been brought up with everything and he chooses to squander it on weed, dealing drugs and cocaine. Apparts from all that nothing. I know if I did something stupid at that age my father would have rightly beaten me black and blue and rightly so. He did his time but they tried to get him off lightly with the charity "pilgrimage" and the autism diagnosis. The Judge was having none of it, it wasnt happening a second time. He had his warning and his parents didnt take appropriate action, he didnt change. Fupp him.

Life is hard, its harder when you are stupid. John Wayne.
    But lots of people from privileged backgrounds took drugs, Ben Dunne was caught with 100 grand's worth of coke, Howard Marks went to Oxford, he became an international cannabis smuggler, there was at least one book and movie about him and he was universally known as Mr Nice

I may have exaggerated the amount Ben was caught with

I may have exaggerated the amount Ben was caught with

I dont think it was the amount Ben was caught with that made the headlines, it was the events surrounding it...... His sister Heffernan was thrilled with the result.

But lots of people from privileged backgrounds took drugs, Ben Dunne was caught with 100 grand's worth of coke, Howard Marks went to Oxford, he became an international cannabis smuggler, there was at least one book and movie about him and he was universally known as Mr Nice

and?
    Ben Dunne was not given anything lightly by any account on his retelling of it on Eamon Dunphys show about 15 years ago (open to correction on the time). He was working in the flagship store in Patrick Street in Cork. Old man Dunne gave young Ben nothing soft. Dunne was kidnapped by the IRA and Dunnes Stores paid ransom. If anyone remembers what Dessie O Hare did to Dentist John O Grady, in the 1980's, you would be quaking in your boots.

Howard Marks was not from a "privileged" background. He was from a coal mining village in Wales. He is a very good story teller, that is about it. Ask him was it worth the pleasure over the pain of not seeing his daughters grow up and losing his teeth and reenter life penniless? He may tell a different story.

Poor Joshuas' mummy once had to use spaghetti one evening because she had no linguini. Then someone teased him at school because he was a bit thick. I dont think you can compare Cork Prison (Maybe Spike Island) for 10 weeks in all its finery to an American Federal Prison for choice of characters for a few years.

Are you agaisnt the sale of use of drugs that are dangerous OR the sale and use of durgs that are illegal? Simple question.

Why does it have to be either or? Why cant it be both?

and?
    Ben Dunne was not given anything lightly by any account on his retelling of it on Eamon Dunphys show about 15 years ago (open to correction on the time). He was working in the flagship store in Patrick Street in Cork. Old man Dunne gave young Ben nothing soft. Dunne was kidnapped by the IRA and Dunnes Stores paid ransom. If anyone remembers what Dessie O Hare did to Dentist John O Grady, in the 1980's, you would be quaking in your boots.

Howard Marks was not from a "privileged" background. He was from a coal mining village in Wales. He is a very good story teller, that is about it. Ask him was it worth the pleasure over the pain of not seeing his daughters grow up and losing his teeth and reenter life penniless? He may tell a different story.

Poor Joshuas' mummy once had to use spaghetti one evening because she had no linguini. Then someone teased him at school because he was a bit thick. I dont think you can compare Cork Prison (Maybe Spike Island) for 10 weeks in all its finery to an American Federal Prison for choice of characters for a few years.
    Howard Marks father was a captain in the Merchant Navy and his mother was a teacher, Ben Dunne's father was a successful businessman, they both seemed to have fairly comfortable backgrounds to me. Nigella Lawson, daughter of a senior politician, she liked to snort too. I still don't see why you have a problem with Joshua Allen, you said you don't like weed, so how does what he sold affect you or what exams he didn't take.

Howard Marks father was a captain in the Merchant Navy and his mother was a teacher, Ben Dunne's father was a successful businessman, they both seemed to have fairly comfortable backgrounds to me. Nigella Lawson, daughter of a senior politician, she liked to snort too. I still don't see why you have a problem with Joshua Allen, you said you don't like weed, so how does what he sold affect you or what exams he didn't take.

I am not sure a Captain in the Merchant navy would be an amazing job. Ben Dunne Senior was a hard man and taught them to respect money, Ben Junior never got anything easy from his old man. Well the weed thing? Its against the law, the Allens thought they could "pay it away" but they wouldn't deal with it privately when they had a chance. When you get a criminal record that young you become a statistic. As for young school leavers? They are a law unto themselves. I doubted based on other people that have offended he will be allowed back onto the school. You see its not just me who takes a dim light of it, its the justice system. You never seem to recognise he broke the law of the land or is giving the middle finger to the system. Not many beat the system.

As for comparing him to Nigella Lawson? Nigella Lawson and Joshua Allen are not in the same ball park. Drugs are quite common in cheffing circles but none of the above mentioned are proper time served chefs. I used to be a big fan of Nigella Lawson until that came out and then I gave away those books to charity.

I am not sure a Captain in the Merchant navy would be an amazing job. Ben Dunne Senior was a hard man and taught them to respect money, Ben Junior never got anything easy from his old man. Well the weed thing? Its against the law, the Allens thought they could "pay it away" but they wouldn't deal with it privately when they had a chance. When you get a criminal record that young you become a statistic. As for young school leavers? They are a law unto themselves. I doubted based on other people that have offended he will be allowed back onto the school. You see its not just me who takes a dim light of it, its the justice system. You never seem to recognise he broke the law of the land or is giving the middle finger to the system. Not many beat the system.

As for comparing him to Nigella Lawson? Nigella Lawson and Joshua Allen are not in the same ball park. Drugs are quite common in cheffing circles but none of the above mentioned are proper time served chefs. I used to be a big fan of Nigella Lawson until that came out and then I gave away those books to charity.
    'Against the law'? If laws didn't change, women still wouldn't be allowed to vote, people wouldn't be able to get divorced or use contraception, homosexuality would still be illegal. Laws and attitudes change, we now have a gay Taoiseach. A lot of us believe prohibition is well past its sell-by-date. Prohibitionists always talk of the misery, suffering etc of drug use but they always ignore the elephant in the room, Enjoyment, that's the only reason drugs exist, it's not down to the marketing skills of the people who sell them. Nobody tricks or forces you to take them.

'Against the law'?

You can argue that point all you want but on that day when young Joshua was importing drugs, it was in fact against the law to be in possession of and/or intent to supply both Cocaine and Cannabis.

Having a criminal record is no fun when you are applying for many jobs, travel, state contracts, etc. A certain family member couldn't attend my wedding because he couldn't get an ESTA for the states last year because he had a criminal record. I dont know what he had it for but he had it. Not that anyone thought it was a good idea that he come .....*cringe*

• Advertisement

Nobody tricks or forces you to take them.

Didnt the Allens try and produce an Autism report and suggest he was importing the drugs for someone else? Once again failing to grasp responsibility.

Why does it have to be either or? Why cant it be both?

Of course - but then it comes back to the point about publicans: are they junkies who should be banned from selling drugs and thrown in jail?

Of course - but then it comes back to the point about publicans: are they junkies who should be banned from selling drugs and thrown in jail?

Actually my former publican (he sold the pub) never drank but he used to entertain me with the history and background to all the different whiskies he sold me over the years. So the correlation with publican and junkie is incorrect as my publican wasn't the end user.

You can argue that point all you want but on that day when young Joshua was importing drugs, it was in fact against the law to be in possession of and/or intent to supply both Cocaine and Cannabis.

Having a criminal record is no fun when you are applying for many jobs, travel, state contracts, etc. A certain family member couldn't attend my wedding because he couldn't get an ESTA for the states last year because he had a criminal record. I dont know what he had it for but he had it. Not that anyone thought it was a good idea that he come .....*cringe*

Your 2nd paragraph is another reason why I'm against prohibition.

Could you tell me why a burglar usually gets a lighter prison sentence, if any, than a cannabis dealer? Nobody consents to having their homes robbed but people DO consent to buying and using what Joshua was selling.

Enjoyment, that's the only reason drugs exist
    You have no idea how much enjoyment I got that morning when I found that junkie squatting on my porch about to lay cable....... He went flying three feet off the kerb with my boot up ass. I was so lucky it was an old pair of boots. It never happened again. Filthy animal.

Could you tell me why a burglar usually gets a lighter prison sentence, if any, than a cannabis dealer?

No.

are they junkies who should be banned from selling drugs and thrown in jail?

Publicans? Well as of today, publicans are licensed to sell alcohol. So what they are doing is legal. As of today it is illegal to sell cannabis with intent to supply. That is why I can legally go for a nice whiskey if I wish or not. This is also the reason why young Joshua has an adult criminal record. Who do you think is better off? Me without a criminal record or young Joshua with one and no bit of education about him?

Could you tell me why a burglar usually gets a lighter prison sentence, if any, than a cannabis dealer?

I dont believe either of them deserve jail, a couple of days in the stocks should be enough to teach them, most burglars are just junkies feeding a habit. Unfortunately that is the law and I have to abide by it.

I dont believe either of them deserve jail, a couple of days in the stocks should be enough to teach them, most burglars are just junkies feeding a habit. Unfortunately that is the law and I have to abide by it.
    I don't know any cannabis user who had to rob a house to fund their habits, how many burglaries to you think Macca, Keith Richards or Mick Jagger did to fund their cannabis use. If the Suffragette Movement had abided by the law, they may had to wait a lot longer to get the vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

It's a plant you plant it,feed and water it,harvest it and smoke it,like mother nature intended.
    Smoker (hash and weed) since 1979 at the moment helping me with pain assoccaited with quadruple bypass recovery to great effect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement