Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thoughts on this gs 450h

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Not 100% on it but I think there’s a fee of around 20.

Forgot to mention how much I hate the side halogen lights. Terrible looking. Can I change those to led and still pass an nct?

Theyre very sticky on non-standard HIDs... I dont know about non-standard LEDs. Do you intend to just swap bulbs or install new LED- ready units (whatever they might be?)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Theyre very sticky on non-standard HIDs... I dont know about non-standard LEDs. Do you intend to just swap bulbs or install new LED- ready units (whatever they might be?)
    I would be just swapping out the side lights which are actually in the same casing as the main xenon bulbs. They basically look like Christmas lights when on but yellow.

Edit: all hids would be left as standard it would be just changing the colour of the little Christmas lights if that makes sense...

I would be just swapping out the side lights which are actually in the same casing as the main xenon bulbs. They basically look like Christmas lights when on but yellow.

Edit: all hids would be left as standard it would be just changing the colour of the little Christmas lights if that makes sense...

Ah, OK. I misread your post. If you download the latest NCT manual from the RSA, there's a whole section on side light rules.

Edit: Here's a link that may help you on the mechanics of the job (rather than the NCT 'legality')
    https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/76635-gs450h-front-sidelight-bulb-replacing/

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

The mpg is pretty much what I've been getting around town since I've had mine,on the trip info screen it gives you a lifetime mpg down the bottom,
    The sidelights are a pain to change there is no room to twist the bulb holder then when you do get it out you have the same issue trying to get it back in,I have a set in that came free with the Philips hids I replaced last winter and they give off a blueish tint.

So the right part of my exhaust just fell off. I had read that corrosion to the middle part is common. Any thoughts on getting it fixed for a reasonable amount? No way will I be going near Lexus for this.

• Advertisement

Wasn't there 2 months full Lexus warranty left on the car when you bought it? I would not expect an exhaust to 'fall off' just like that.... I'd be making a phone call, if it was me...

In re. your question, price it at a Lexus dealer and then check out any of the myriad of tyre and exhaust places around. I suspect this might be one of those fairly rare occasions where a custom stainless exhaust may make sense on grounds of relative cost...

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Wasn't there 2 months full Lexus warranty left on the car when you bought it? I would not expect an exhaust to 'fall off' just like that.... I'd be making a phone call, if it was me...

In re. your question, price it at a Lexus dealer and then check out any of the myriad of tyre and exhaust places around. I suspect this might be one of those fairly rare occasions where a custom stainless exhaust may make sense on grounds of relative cost...
    Not sure if I mentioned here but that had to be transferred by the previous owner over to me for a small fee. It was Lexus that confirmed this to me. I think that it has also run out now by a few days but not certain.

When I read of others having this issue they did talk about the stainless steel option as being far better than going to Lexus although this was all uk so thought it best to ask here first.

Is that stainless? Don't think so..... It would probably fit OK, but mebbe check out the custom SS approach before getting something like this?? I can't imagine the quality is as good as OEM, and if the OEM one's life is short, I cant see that one being much better... Cost wise, Fitting is gonna be a few bob on top of what you're seeing there. It may well be the best and most economic solution, but I'd check out the custom SS solution first. Are there O2 sensors and/or other emissions relation circuits in that stage of the exhaust? I'd suggest you check out the up-river elements also in case there's an impending failure lurking there...

Nearly a year since I bought this and considering moving it on. in the last few months my mileage has gone up a fair bit and the girlfriend has just started driving my old fiesta but hates it.. Not happy at the thought of losing it.

Had it in with Toyota for a service so I enquired about the new corolla. They’re offering me a tiny bit more than what I paid for it so seriously thinking of going for it.

I went to Mazda as well to test the new 3, still haven’t gotten a valuation on mine but I don’t see them coming close to toyota. They only had the 1.8 diesel in manual and I was fairly unimpressed tbh, thought the old one was a bit better in the twistys.

In saying that it would be the sky active x I’d be looking for there but it’s more expensive especially when you go auto. Fairly impressed with the Corolla 1.8 hybrid, really smooth and even when you put the boot down it doesn’t have as bad of a cvt sound as previous versions. They said they can’t get me one to test but I reckon the 2.0 hybrid would be the sweet spot. Also I’m worried about the possibility of issues with the new Mazda engine so there’s that to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I think the 2.0l Corolla only comes in the hatch in Ireland

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I think the 2.0l Corolla only comes in the hatch in Ireland
    Yep and that’s the one I’d like even though the saloon has more rear space. One thing that annoys me is the 2.0 reduces the boot space to the class below. No leather/pleather which I would like and no upgraded audio on the website which is close to being a deal breaker for me. The dealer is looking into the audio as it’s available in the U.K. but only on the 2.0 so I’m hoping that can be added. If I’m to do the deal now it won’t be until Jan so it would be nice if that could be sorted and android auto being available by then.

Forgot to mention that your man in Mazda gave me their new price list including the new skyactive x and I’ve not seen any pricing online myself for it so I can post a pic if anyone’s interested. Probably best in the appropriate thread but I’m not sure where that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭MickH503

Forgot to mention that your man in Mazda gave me their new price list including the new skyactive x and I’ve not seen any pricing online myself for it so I can post a pic if anyone’s interested. Probably best in the appropriate thread but I’m not sure where that is.

Could you PM me a copy of the price list please?

MickH503 wrote: »
    Could you PM me a copy of the price list please?
    May as well leave it here in case anyone else is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭MickH503

May as well leave it here in case anyone else is interested

Quite a price premium for the Skyactiv-X engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Would you sell the GS privately? You might get a better deal... Beautiful car I love them.

Don't buy a Mazda diesel!

Truckermal wrote: »
    Would you sell the GS privately? You might get a better deal... Beautiful car I love them.

Don't buy a Mazda diesel!
    I’d be happy to sell privately although I’m a bit lazy and imagine there would would be a fair few time wasters so this may be the easier way. If you are interested let me know, happy for you to have a spin in it and to be checked out by a mechanic as I remember that you are into these and have or used to have one.

Only tested the diesel in the Mazda cause it was all they had. Would be looking at the new petrol but they are a bit out of my price range when you add auto.

After the smoothness of the gs I think i really am put off by diesels and manual so my options aren’t great. Maybe a vag dsg petrol but I haven’t tried one because there are new ones coming out soon in the size I’m looking at.

After getting a longer test in the corolla I think I may need to re think this. It’s very good but it just doesn’t compare to the gs in anyway other than me being smitten with active cruise.. The lack of power compared to the 450 in the corolla (I got to test the 2.0l version finally) and a few other brands turbos that had more torque than the corolla but its still big downgrade.

Then you have that thing I can’t really explain of being in the bigger car with nice leather that just feels better. I’ve got a yearly tax saver train ticket that costs Hundreds a month. Plan was to cancel that and get something more economical to save money but now I’m thinking I should just see how much longer it takes in September when it’s busier.

If it takes too long, keep the train ticket. If I’m happy with the extra time just take the hit in fuel costs because at the end of the day I’m not going to be happy in a lesser car. Maybe I would be okay with a car from a few years ago in the same class that is diesel like the 5series/a6/s90 but I’m not sure on that either.

I don't think you will do much better than that GS....:D I sold mine and changed up to a LS 460 and really miss the GS!

Did you get the grill sorted out that time?

• Advertisement

Life is jut too short to deny oneself the little things that make it bearable!

I don't think you will do much better than that GS....:D I sold mine and changed up to a LS 460 and really miss the GS!

Did you get the grill sorted out that time?
    I did indeed. Almost certainly sticking with it now at this point. Like the idea of a 2016 face lift 450 though...

How do you find the 460? Lovely car.

How do you find the 460? Lovely car.

Beautiful car but not far behind your own in performance but much bigger but you get used to the size! I have heard a lot of disappointing reviews from people who owned the older GS like your own who traded for the new model!

Beautiful car but not far behind your own in performance but much bigger but you get used to the size! I have heard a lot of disappointing reviews from people who owned the older GS like your own who traded for the new model!
    That doesn’t sound great. What were their complaints if you can remember?

That doesn’t sound great. What were their complaints if you can remember?

The main one was power as you have less BHP and comfort was after plus they are fairly expensive!

Since deciding to keep the car and now using it a lot more I reckon I’ve only a few months left in the tyres. Any recommendations for what to go with?

It’s on Yokohama a10e’s at the moment. I’m assuming I can do better here as tyre noise is higher than I would expect and in the wet it struggles.

it’s now showing nearly 32mpg and I’m getting by on a full tank a week. The commute is just over 130km each day. I’m happy enough with that considering I’m not driving very conservatively.

Kumho KU39 sport gets my vote they are excellent and very reasonable.

Didn’t see this at the time. Went with Goodyear assy 5’s. The improvement was immediate and they still feel great now although with lockdown and working from home my mileage has dropped considerably.

Reason I’m bumping this thread is I want to sell this car privately as I’ve a new car ordered (If you read the gti/r thread you are probably already sick of my giving out). Just thought I would mention it here before putting it on dd nearer the time.

There is one gs450h 2010 on dd and it is a pre facelift lower spec with more mileage. Mine is a facelift so the rear lights are nicer, nicer grill and most importantly to me has Bluetooth which isn’t in the older ones. It’s also the higher spec with mark levinson audio, better quality screen in the facelift and no tape deck. Full service history.

i will be selling for a lot less than anything comparable on dd like the 2010 one that is up there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Good luck with the sale, it's certainly a sellers market so you shouldn't have any problems and the back story of this thread (just read it all) is a good selling point to put prospective buyers at ease.

What were you paying for insurance roughly? I was thinking of changing earlier this year and had looked at the Lexus IS300h and GS300h along with the rarer GS450h like yours as they're about the only decent 2nd hand petrols available here. Insurance quotes were off-putting however as best I could get on a 151 IS300h was €893 with a clean license and full NCB while a similar aged GS300h was €942 with their excuse being the larger than 2l engine size.

Advertisement