Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on this gs 450h

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Jesus they sound about as bad as it gets.

It's also got Landsail tyres on the rear...:eek::eek:

Weirdest thing this morning but a lad I know is also intrested in the car so the salesman wasn't lying! I think it's worth a look as they are very scarce plus the newer model from 2012 are north of 20K.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Truckermal wrote: »
    It's also got Landsail tyres on the rear...:eek::eek:

Weirdest thing this morning but a lad I know is also intrested in the car so the salesman wasn't lying! I think it's worth a look as they are very scarce plus the newer model from 2012 are north of 20K.
    Yep. I rang back today and he said the couple viewing were buying on the condition a double buggy could fit in the back which they were collecting to try out.

I hope it doesn't fit, haha

Yep. I rang back today and he said the couple viewing were buying on the condition a double buggy could fit in the back which they were collecting to try out.

I don't think it will either!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It won't. I'd struggle to get a normal buggy in. About the only benefit of the tiny boot.

Am I dreaming thinking I could get someone to source one? They really do seem to be scarce on the ground even in the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Bad form on the salesman's part not to ring you back when he said he would. If I was him, I'd always follow up...

Am I dreaming thinking I could get someone to source one? They really do seem to be scarce on the ground even in the uk.

Theres a guy in UK midlands who'll source any car from auctions for a fee. I havent used him, but he might be worth a chat... Look at flipping cars on Youtube...

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Bad form on the salesman's part not to ring you back when he said he would. If I was him, I'd always follow up...

Just rang me back there to confirm it’s sold. Forgot to ask him if the buggy fit in it:D

He said he’d look into sourcing one but I doubt anything will happen.

Will check that guy out on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote: »

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808119395809?sort=price-asc&year-from=2010&radius=1500&model=GS%20450H&year-to=2011&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=bt486eb&advertising-location=at_cars&make=LEXUS&page=1

This one really caught my eye with they grey wheels which IMO makes it look a lot more modern.

It’s something to consider it’s just that I’d feel a little stupid since most cars are cheaper in the uk whereas these are the same or a bit more expensive.

For the lads that keep an eye on the market, how often do decent ones pop up from 2010/11?

• Advertisement

After reading the last 10 or so pages of the importing thread I’m thinking of going for the one I just sent on. I like the red one bazz posted especially for the sunroof but I’d be willing to throw a few quid extra for the mileage, colour and nicer wheels.

Vrt is €2,447. So I’d be looking to get this sorted for €13,300 with travel included. Do you reckon this is doable?

What should I be looking for when I call the dealer and if I make the trip over? Are there do’s and don’ts?

Little bit worried that it’s a smaller dealer and not sure how genuine the reviews are on autotrader.

After reading the last 10 or so pages of the importing thread I’m thinking of going for the one I just sent on. I like the red one buzz posted especially for the sunroof but I’d be willing to throw a few quid extra for the mileage, colour and nicer wheels.

Vrt is €2,447. So I’d be looking to get this sorted for €13,300 with travel included. Do you reckon this is doable?

What should I be looking for when I call the dealer and if I make the trip over? Are there do’s and don’ts?

Little bit worried that it’s a smaller dealer and not sure how genuine the reviews are on autotrader.

My advice would be to pay for a professional mechanic/assessor/engineer (with knowledge/experience of hybrids) to check the car thorougly first. You can buy a comprehensive history check yourself. It'll all cost a few bob, but given the lack of aftersales (2 months' in-house' which is probably an insurance policy that is highly unlikely to be tenable in Ireland, as well as the type of operation that selling it), I think it would be wise.

The travel etc should be no problem if you proceed- Fly to Heathrow and get a tube/train to a local train station.

After reading the last 10 or so pages of the importing thread I’m thinking of going for the one I just sent on. I like the red one bazz posted especially for the sunroof but I’d be willing to throw a few quid extra for the mileage, colour and nicer wheels.

First ask about the car's service history and ring the garages that did it.

Run a detailed history check to see if it was previously written off or clocked.

Normally I'd advise getting someone like Dekra or the AA to do a comprehensive vehicle inspection but I don't know if they can do that on the hybrid system. Failing that maybe see about having a local Lexus dealer inspect the hybrid drivetrain for any fault.

The dealer may want a deposit to take the advert down pending a vehicle inspection. I'd expect this back if the vehicle inspector advises against buying the car but with small time dealers that might be a hard job.

If the inspection goes well then agree a price with the dealer(they won't be too flexible on the price compared to here). Then arrange to transfer your money before heading over. Use the likes of transfermate, currency fair, etc and remember to allow a day or two for the money to move from your bank threw currency fair to the dealer's account. Once the dealer confirms they have the money then fly over, collect and get the ferry home. Make sure to get the full V5C registration document from the dealer too as you need this to VRT the car here.

One thing of note though is that many UK dealers have a habit of hitting Irish buyers with an "admin fee" when you get there. This can be £100 to £150 on top of the price of the car. They pull this stroke thinking that your heading for a ferry and will just pay it rather than go home empty handed. I'd stand your ground and tell them you have another car lined up to see in the area and you'll buy that one instead. Majority will wilt and won't let you leave for the sake of £100.

Run a detailed history check to see if it was previously written off or clocked.

Normally I'd advise getting someone like Dekra or the AA to do a comprehensive vehicle inspection but I don't know if they can do that on the hybrid system. Failing that maybe see about having a local Lexus dealer inspect the hybrid drivetrain for any fault.

The dealer may want a deposit to take the advert down pending a vehicle inspection. I'd expect this back if the vehicle inspector advises against buying the car but with small time dealers that might be a hard job.

If the inspection goes well then agree a price with the dealer(they won't be too flexible on the price compared to here). Then arrange to transfer your money before heading over. Use the likes of transfermate, currency fair, etc and remember to allow a day or two for the money to move from your bank threw currency fair to the dealer's account. Once the dealer confirms they have the money then fly over, collect and get the ferry home. Make sure to get the full V5C registration document from the dealer too as you need this to VRT the car here.

One thing of note though is that many UK dealers have a habit of hitting Irish buyers with an "admin fee" when you get there. This can be £100 to £150 on top of the price of the car. They pull this stroke thinking that your heading for a ferry and will just pay it rather than go home empty handed. I'd stand your ground and tell them you have another car lined up to see in the area and you'll buy that one instead. Majority will wilt and won't let you leave for the sake of £100.

+1, except pay nothing (except a refundable deposit) to the dealer before going over. Once its in their account, it wont come back out!

Problem with that is that some transfers take a day or two to go through so the dealer won't release the car until the funds are in their bank account. If the detailed vehicle inspection throws up nothing out of the ordinary then it would be decision time really if you want to buy it unless you have a way of paying the dealer on the day you go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How do you pull that lie when they already have your money to buy the car? The transfer is when you buy the car not when you collect it.

Not everyone might pay for the car in advance. Some pay via debit card, etc on the day.

Thanks lads.

So the price dropped overnight by about 290. I got him to send me pictures of the drivers seat, wheels, service history and also the Lexus full warranty cert that was taken out by the owner although there is only 2 months left on that.

I also rang both Lexus garages it's been serviced at with the last service in July so the battery is under warranty for another 11 months.

I let him know that the seat is worn more than I expectedl so he said he'd get that sorted and knock it off the price. I got him down a further 144.

Going to put a deposit down later today when he confirms the booking for the seat refurb. Then I can book the flight/boat

Been a stressful day with this and work. Am I missing anything?

Thanks lads.

So the price dropped overnight by about 290. I got him to send me pictures of the drivers seat, wheels, service history and also the Lexus full warranty cert that was taken out by the owner although there is only 2 months left on that.

I also rang both Lexus garages it's been serviced at with the last service in July so the battery is under warranty for another 11 months.

I let him know that the seat is worn more than I expectedl so he said he'd get that sorted and knock it off the price. I got him down a further 144.

Going to put a deposit down later today when he confirms the booking for the seat refurb. Then I can book the flight/boat

Been a stressful day with this and work. Am I missing anything?
    Are you going to get a pro to check it out?

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum/51-lexus-gs-300-lexus-gs-250-lexus-gs-430-lexus-450h-lexus-gs-460-club/

Nice lads over on this forum which I use myself if you want to ask any questions!

• Advertisement

Are you going to get a pro to check it out?
    This totally slipped my mind and now I've put the deposit down which on the invoice says is non refundable.

I hope it's alright as it was last serviced at the end of July. Should I be worried?

Since it has the full Lexus warranty till next month you would think if anything was wrong it would have been sorted? I hope so anyway..

Since it has the full Lexus warranty till next month you would think if anything was wrong it would have been sorted? I hope so anyway..

Nothing to go wrong really other than something Battery related and you will have warning lights on for that! Leaking rear shocks which will be obvious or seized rear calipers which will be obvious too!

Nothing to go wrong really other than something Battery related and you will have warning lights on for that! Leaking rear shocks which will be obvious or seized rear calipers which will be obvious too!

I see that the car failed its MOT in May 2016 because of rear calliper issues, and passed 10 days later, so they must have been sorted.

I see that the car failed its MOT in May 2016 because of rear calliper issues, and passed 10 days later, so they must have been sorted.

Wow! That's handy to know you only need keep the pins greased now! They are actually dirt cheap to maintain if you follows forum's and have a interest in DIY.

This totally slipped my mind and now I've put the deposit down which on the invoice says is non refundable.

I hope it's alright as it was last serviced at the end of July. Should I be worried?

Not saying you should be worried; its just that, unless youre very knowledgeable yourself, good due diligence when buying from a small independent outfit would tell me to get a pro to check it beforehand. Otherwise, youll have limited comeback if theres an issue later.

How do you find living with yours? Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Will be a nice difference between it and current car, a 12 year old fiesta that rattles your bones over bad roads, deafens you at 120kpm and gives you a sore back if you drive any distance.

In saying that it's never given me trouble so happy to give it to herself who is going to learn to drive.

I'd air on the side of caution given the amount of money involved and have it inspected by the likes of Dekra, they are thorough and may spot things that you wouldn't from just a visual look around the car. They will either recommend buying the car if the dealer sorts anything they spot or recommend to walk away. I'd rather lose a deposit than buy a pup.

I'd air on the side of caution given the amount of money involved and have it inspected by the likes of Dekra, they are thorough and may spot things that you wouldn't from just a visual look around the car. They will either recommend buying the car if the dealer sorts anything they spot or recommend to walk away. I'd rather lose a deposit than buy a pup.

+1

OP, how much was the deposit?

• Advertisement

It was going to be 100 but he said that would be if it was to hold for viewing, since they were paying for work to be done it was 250. Didn’t sound unreasonable to me.

Going to look into dekra now

Advertisement