Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Fantastic news. Has been playing better recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Great news. Turned down Munster again apparently, though they are reasonably well sorted in the position anyway.

Great guy. Faihtful
    Roux/Thorn and him make us on a par with any other provinces for that area.

LH is another king of issue though. Hope Buckley is signing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    That's two MASSIVE bits of business done!
    Hon Connacht!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    Damn, the blue of Leinster would have looked dashing on him!
    His looks would be elevated to legendary status, being in the same squad as handsome Rob.

Good business by Connacht. The 2nd row is stacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

connachta wrote: »
    Great guy. Faihtful
    Roux/Thorn and him make us on a par with any other provinces for that area.

Its not a bad group at all at the moment.
    Does Dillane renewing suggest Darwin is indicating a move back to Leinster is in the plans though ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

"Even outside of Joe Schmidt’s immediate plans are a number of players that Jackman identified that would likely impress on the international stage.

"I really like Denis Buckley in Connacht to be honest but he hasn’t really been in Joe’s squad, so he’s probably unlikely to bowl through."

Many fans of the western province feel Buckley has been hard done by in not getting an Irish cap, although he has made appearances for the Emerging Ireland side. A couple of injuries at prop could see Buckley work his way into Schmidt’s plans."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Does Dillane renewing suggest Darwin is indicating a move back to Leinster is in the plans though ?

No. He’s contracted to 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over

Who's Darwin?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

connachta wrote: »
    "Even outside of Joe Schmidt’s immediate plans are a number of players that Jackman identified that would likely impress on the international stage.

"I really like Denis Buckley in Connacht to be honest but he hasn’t really been in Joe’s squad, so he’s probably unlikely to bowl through."

Many fans of the western province feel Buckley has been hard done by in not getting an Irish cap, although he has made appearances for the Emerging Ireland side. A couple of injuries at prop could see Buckley work his way into Schmidt’s plans."

It'll forever be a mystery to me how Buckley has 0 international caps and David Kilcoyne has 24.

Probably a good story behind it all somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

macslash wrote: »
    Who's Darwin?

Gavin Thornbury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tobdom

If you have the patience, as it seems to take an age to load them, you can view all of the planning drawings for the Sportsground redevelopment here: https://plan.galwaycity.ie/VirtualViewerNetHTML5/index.html?documentId=18402_DRAWINGS

You can skip down through the first portion of them as they represent the existing structures etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    The thing about Kilcoyne is, he carries much better than Buckley.
    That's what gets him into the squad. He's quick and can find space.
    Lads like Kilcoyne are few and far between.
    He's good enough to start against tier 2 opposition and can give a good 20 minutes off the bench against top teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Is like to see something like:

Buckley
    Delahunt
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Thornbury
    Gallagher
    Butler
    Boyle
    Blade
    Carty
    Healy
    Bundee
    Godwin
    Toh
    Leader

Heff
    McCabe
    Carey
    Roux
    Masterson
    Mitchell
    Horwitz
    De buitlear

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    You can't leave out Farrell if he's fit IMO, Bundee with Farrell outside him with Godwin 23 would be a safer bet

The Friend Zone
    You can't leave out Farrell if he's fit IMO, Bundee with Farrell outside him with Godwin 23 would be a safer bet

Farrell is by far the most in form player in the squad, just not sure if he could do another high intensity game of the back of 3 interpros. Would personally like to see godwin back in midfield but if Farrell is fit and firing stick with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Team named (15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Cian Kelleher, Kyle Godwin, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, James Mitchell, (1-8) Denis Buckley, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, James Cannon, Eoghan Masterson, James Connolly, Jarrad Butler (Capt).
    Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Matthew Burke, Conor Carey, Quinn Roux, Colby Fainga’a, Caolin Blade, David Horwitz, Darragh Leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Sale team quite strong also https://twitter.com/SaleSharksRugby/status/1083695044949884928

Mul, it's over
    It's an awful pity we couldn't have fielded that team last week :(

Has the makings of a great game tomorrow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Team named (15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Cian Kelleher, Kyle Godwin, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, James Mitchell, (1-8) Denis Buckley, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, James Cannon, Eoghan Masterson, James Connolly, Jarrad Butler (Capt).
    Replacements (16-23): Shane Delahunt, Matthew Burke, Conor Carey, Quinn Roux, Colby Fainga’a, Caolin Blade, David Horwitz, Darragh Leader.

I am not a fan of Eoghan Masterson

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    why?

I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I wouldn't bother.
    Just realised who it was....
    Looking forward to being in sports ground tomorrow.
    Havent been in a while.

why?

I prefer more physically in a back row. Seems a smart guy but lacks power or speed for me

Mul, it's over

You're probably on your own there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Masterson is devastated. Tough and go if he'll be mentally right for tomorrow now...

Thats ok :) what is it you rate about him? This isnt a go at the guy im just wondering. he seems like a good bloke

The Friend Zone
    Tbh masterson hasn’t been the same since the injury. Which you can understand. I think there’s aggression and physicality missing since and he probably needs a run of games to get the confidence back, problem is the back row is so competitive

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Tbh masterson hasn’t been the same since the injury. Which you can understand. I think there’s aggression and physicality missing since and he probably needs a run of games to get the confidence back, problem is the back row is so competitive

Great points but for me i dont think he will ever have enough aggression and physicality to bully/dominate other packs. I agree the back row is very strong Fainga’a and Butler have been great signings.

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »

Yeah, we haven't seen much of hime since the injury but he was playing great stuff before that. He was definitley getting into the conversation for a call up to the Irish squad at the time.

If he gets anywhere near that level again I would be delighted.
    Competition is very hot at the moment in a lot of positions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

Leinster fan here, got a bit of stick earlier this season for saying that Carty was going well and deserved a shot at the wider squad in the Autumn Internationals. He’s definitely in better form than Carbery right now, he’s ahead of any of the Ulster 10s and other Munster 10s right now for me. One injury and he’s going to start appearing in squads I reckon.

His consistency is miles better this season, is a great passing and gain line threat and his kicking has improved immeasurably. I’m not saying he’s definitely going to the WC or anything but he’s come from a long way back to force his way into Joe’s plans and it’s hard to argue with his form.
    Who would you say is better, Carty or Ross Byrne?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement