Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Great news for Connacht and potentially Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fully deserved. Been a standout for 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭typhoony

troyzer wrote: »
    I imagine Jack Kelly won't be given a senior contract.

I think he'd be a very poor signing, he was one of those players at school who was physically well developed, but had no scope for improvement.

The Friend Zone
    typhoony wrote: »
    I think he'd be a very poor signing, he was one of those players at school who was physically well developed, but had no scope for improvement.

Haven’t really seen him play since under 20s but I think he’d be worth offering a development contract to anyways. Can play 13,14,15 and would have a serious point to prove

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    Like I said earlier a very strange move which he will more than likely regret in a few years but wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me
    Redo91 wrote: »
    Like I said earlier a very strange move which he will more than likely regret in a few years but wish him all the best.

He backs himself to get into the best side in the world
    Shame to see him go from Connacht POV but credit to him
    We're looking light on backs next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

wp_rathead wrote: »

Will need at least 2 additions to the back 3. 1 realistically needs to be a decent quality niq and the other should be at least capable of challenging Niyi or Healy for a spot.
    Fair play to him backing himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Kelleher is not to be Leinster 1st choice, not a natural defender. My opinion.
    But I think Connacht stepped up enough to sign a slightly better choice too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Have to admire his ambition and if he gets regular game time fair play to him but will he/
    Yeah few signings needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Has anyone noticed that all four of the provincial threads are talking about contracts, potential signings etc. at the same time?

Bit weird. Where did that come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    But I think Connacht stepped up enough to sign a slightly better choice too :)

Really? But Connacht aren't good enough to be confident of a win at Zebre according to you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Has anyone noticed that all four of the provincial threads are talking about contracts, potential signings etc. at the same time?

January first is the first date players can be approached by clubs for transfers for the next season I believe. So most are getting them sorted straight out of the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

b.gud wrote: »
    In actual contract News Jack Carty signs a 2 year extension https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1082656806500028416

"Well deserved Jack"...well we know who had the upper hand in those discussions, even if they are a little full of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

January first is the first date players can be approached by clubs for transfers for the next season I believe. So most are getting them sorted straight out of the gate.

I knew there had to be a reason.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Really? But Connacht aren't good enough to be confident of a win at Zebre according to you

Away, on a targeted game, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    Very surprised with the Kelleher decision.
    I assume Connacht will sign Fitzgerald now and maybe an import.
    I think Fitzgerald can do well for Connacht and become a really good player.
    On a side note, I'm guessing Robb must be a goner. Especially with Daly signed on a loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Unfortunately for Kelleher, he will be remembered mainly for the ball hitting him on the head and allowing Ulster in for a try.
    A lot of times there is a bit of disappointment when a player leaves for another province ( Henshaw, McCarthy, Keatley etc).
    This time I think the general consensus is meh....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    eezipc wrote: »
    Unfortunately for Kelleher, he will be remembered mainly for the ball hitting him on the head and allowing Ulster in for a try.
    A lot of times there is a bit of disappointment when a player leaves for another province ( Henshaw, McCarthy, Keatley etc).

Wouldn't agree with that. He's been very good this season in particular, will be remembered as a prolific try scorer. I presume he is top pro14 try scorer for Connacht this season, is that available anywhere? Without going through game by game I mean.

He has a few months to add to that legacy too. Schmidt giving him a call in November to say he was close to the squad, or close enough to warrant a call anyway, is a reflection of his improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I can't believe it's not Butler
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with that. He's been very good this season in particular, will be remembered as a prolific try scorer. I presume he is top pro14 try scorer for Connacht this season, is that available anywhere? Without going through game by game I mean.

He has a few months to add to that legacy too. Schmidt giving him a call in November to say he was close to the squad, or close enough to warrant a call anyway, is a reflection of his improvement.
    We are all entitled to an opinion. You are right that he is top try scorer in top 14 for Connacht though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

eezipc wrote: »

No he won't, that will be an unfortunate memory for (and of) him, but the abiding memory will be of him running in some great tries. Is ROG only remembered for giving away the penalty in SA? Is Sexton only remembered for being petulant to a few referees? Absolutely ridiculous comment. He will be a big loss and difficult to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Mul, it's over
    ClanofLams wrote: »

Yeah he has 5 tries in Pro14 and 1 in the challenge cup (that super try against Perpignan). Next is Tom Farrell with 4 in Pro14 and there's a few lads on 3 - Boyle, Niyi, Bundee and Blade. Godwin is top in Challenge Cup with 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Sometimes Connacht fans are overly generous alright I think and my abiding memory of Kelleher will be frustration. Good finisher prone to lapses and bad defensive reads. Would be hopeful a NIQ could be signed similar to what Reece was supposed to be and should be an upgrade

The Friend Zone
    Disappointed kelleher is leaving, he’s brilliant attacking but a big new signing could improve the squad a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I presume Connacht will look to the SH again in recruiting a back three player in the Summer. Probably pick up an Irish youngster from somewhere as well whether it be Fitzgerald or not.

The Friend Zone
    I presume Connacht will look to the SH again in recruiting a back three player in the Summer. Probably pick up an Irish youngster from somewhere as well whether it be Fitzgerald or not.

I’d say you’d be looking at a first choice niq (Reece replacement). 23 standard (kelleher replacement) and a young Irish option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Kelleher is no loss. He's not good enough defensively and he's too inconsistent in general. Just my opinion.

His replacement will be better for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over

Great news. Turned down Munster again apparently, though they are reasonably well sorted in the position anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    I'm glad Munster didn't sign Dillane and that's not a knock on him. Kleyn and Beirne will be the starters going forward at Munster and I'd look at Wycherley as someone who can compete for the position over the next few seasons. Dillane would be a luxury signing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement