Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Id say most would make a mistake haha, it was a great idea to put it up though

Yeah. Because we had such a tough start to the season I was curious to see how our run in compared to Cardiff and Ospreys was looking through the fixtures and figured it would be much easier to compare if the fixtures were side by side.

I mentioned in the initial post that I'll try to keep it updated as each round progresses but if I'm slacking anyone else that would like to can feel free to update and post it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

No way we'll win in Cheetahs. They conceeded many defeats at the death. They won't do it again vs us. Beating Kings would be  ok yet

No way we'll win in Cheetahs' home. They conceeded many defeats at the death. They won't do it again vs us. Beating Kings would be  ok yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    No way we'll win in Cheetahs' home. They conceeded many defeats at the death. They won't do it again vs us. Beating Kings would be  ok yet

Grans sure we won't bother going over so to play the game. We'll just give Cheetah's the points now.

I'm not saying we will win the game but you have to as players and supporters believe that you can win each game otherwise whats the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Not to mention that Cheetahs are average, at best. If you’re giving up on a game against them, you might aswell give up on the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

It will be tough but we nearly beat them last year, and we've improved while they've deteriorated. I am worried that we could get torn to shreds if we continue to defend as narrowly as we did at the weekend. An atrocious Dragons cut through us several times, and the Cheetahs are lethal out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Cheetahs have looked worse than kings this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Cheetahs have looked worse than kings this season.

Cheetahs look to be steadily improving last few weeks.

Mul, it's over
    Copeland got injured last Friday Andy Friend mentioned on Craggy Rugby Pod, hinted that he would have been on the bench otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Copeland got injured last Friday Andy Friend mentioned on Craggy Rugby Pod, hinted that he would have been on the bench otherwise.

Its mad that 2 out of 3 of our marquee signings aren'y the first names on the team sheet when everyone is fit and available

Colby is the starter Copeland and Godwin dont start ahead of other players for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Its mad that 2 out of 3 of our marquee signings aren'y the first names on the team sheet when everyone is fit and available

Colby is the starter Copeland and Godwin dont start ahead of other players for me

Starting to think godwin should be nailed on at 13 personally. Farrell looks more comfortable at 12 and I think godwin will be vital in both attacking and defense at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Probably worth taking a moment to reflect on how far we have come in 5 years.

We have a 50% record from a tricky block of fixtures and in the hunt for a play-oof place and supporters are only mildly satisfied.

We had two players start for Ireland in a tier 1 international, each scored a try - no one has bothered to post about it on the forum!

Now THAT is progress. :D:D:D

The Friend Zone
    Probably worth taking a moment to reflect on how far we have come in 5 years.

We have a 50% record from a tricky block of fixtures and in the hunt for a play-oof place and supporters are only mildly satisfied.

We had two players start for Ireland in a tier 1 international, each scored a try - no one has bothered to post about it on the forum!

Now THAT is progress. :D:D:D

Could add the number of u18s in the Irish squads to that. Also interesting that bealham was the 24th man on the pitch during the warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Joe Schmidt having a look at Tom Farrell it appears - both him and Sean O'Brien can't be too far from full call ups at this stage. Very difficult for SOB though as the competition is incredible in the back row. That we are coming into a World Cup year doesn't help either of their chances unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Joe Schmidt having a look at Tom Farrell it appears - both him and Sean O'Brien can't be too far from full call ups at this stage. Very difficult for SOB though as the competition is incredible in the back row. That we are coming into a World Cup year doesn't help either of their chances unfortunately.

Arguably as strong in the centre at the moment too. Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose, Addison, Chris Farrell, McCloskey, then you've the outsiders like Arnold and Scannell who's been part of squads before and is playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

I'd say he was brought in to run lines against the defence, his offloading game is as good as anyone around the country to be fair although it's probably not SBW level...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Our international centres are made of glass so there's no guarantees that we could have 4 of those listed above fit at any one international window. No harm to have Farrell in for a look but for this particular window it might be too late to see Tom Farrell feature against the US

The Friend Zone
    I’d selfishly prefer if Farrell went to SA rather than get capped against USA.

Mul, it's over

Ah good point.

I had thought the SA trip was week after last international for some reason but obviously not.

Bealham and Roux probably likely to be involved in US game and with Marmion/Aki likely involved this week, presume they won’t be available either. That’s a bit of a killer. Could really do with Farrell in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over

Hadn't thought of that. Would he make the second game in SA if selected for the US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

macslash wrote: »
    Hadn't thought of that. Would he make the second game in SA if selected for the US?

if they don't fly out with the rest of the team i'd imagine they won't follow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Think Farrell is just there to run lines against the starting defence. No better man to pick a hole and run through it, he might embarrass a few lads while he's there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Think Farrell is just there to run lines against the starting defence. No better man to pick a hole and run through it, he might embarrass a few lads while he's there. :D

Farrell pictured with the players travelling at the airport this afternoon.
    According to the match commentary yesterday Tom McCartney trained with the Irish squad last week as well

When you see Cronin yesterday he has an outside chance to make it to Japan...

Mul, it's over

Cronin did nothing wrong yesterday.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Cronin did nothing wrong yesterday.

Yes he did. Even with changes in the lifters, you can't say thrower has no part in 3 consecutive lineouts lost.

Mul, it's over
    Yes he did. Even with changes in the lifters, you can't say thrower has no part in 3 consecutive lineouts lost.

If you examine the lineouts properly you will see a huge difference after Toner and POM went off. Lack of animation meant the call was telegraphed. Fault lies squarely with the calls being made.

It didn't matter who was throwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There was no issue with the throws, the jumpers weren't lifted in time, they were painfully slow and NZ read the calls like a book.

Besides, Herring and Scannell are well ahead of the 32 year old McCartney for getting his first cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    I don't think Cronin did himself any favours yesterday but Tom McCartney? Come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me

He doesn't
    Tom is no where near the Irish RWC squad

Best, Cronin, N Scanell, Herring and Tracy

This doesn't devalue Tom who I really rate, but he doesn't have a monkeys uncle of making RWC squad unless 4 of the above 5 hookers get injured

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement