Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

connachta wrote: »
    When you see Cronin yesterday he has an outside chance to make it to Japan...

Not a hope. He is only getting back to playing well after a year of bad form. As mentioned before it would take 4 injuries to get him near the plane to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Rory scholes gone to Brive according to Murray kinsella. Not too shocked to see him leave

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Farrell pictured with the players travelling at the airport this afternoon.
    According to the match commentary yesterday Tom McCartney trained with the Irish squad last week as well

Gone to SA already? Is there a list of who travelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Gone to SA already? Is there a list of who travelled?

Just an instagram post with some pictures posted yesterday. It mentioned a squad of 25.

First game is at the weekend so it would make sense to get a full week training.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Marmion has been released back to Connacht already, not sure if he'll join the team in SA considering the minutes he's accrued over the two games.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Marmion has been released back to Connacht already, not sure if he'll join the team in SA considering the minutes he's accrued over the two games.

Highly doubt he’d be brought as giving him two weeks off now should see him able to play more minutes during interpros. At the same time it’s odd he wouldn’t be kept in Irish camp unless he’s injured.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Highly doubt he’d be brought as giving him two weeks off now should see him able to play more minutes during interpros. At the same time it’s odd he wouldn’t be kept in Irish camp unless he’s injured.

Was thinking about that yesterday - he hasn't played a huge amount of rugby this season having missed the first couple of games, thought they might release him for the SA trip and give McGrath and Cooney a bit of experience against USA. Then again, he did roll his ankle last week and maybe needs a bit of rest.

The Friend Zone
    So far from what I’ve seen on instagram the players who’ve travelled are:
    Buckley, McCabe
    Tom, delahunt
    Carey, McCoy
    Thornbury, dillane, cannon
    Butler, sob, Boyle, Copeland, faingaa
    Blade Mitchell
    Carty horwitz
    Farrell Godwin
    Healy kelleher niyi toh leader

If it is a 25 man squad looks light in center. Although Horwitz and possibly kelleher/leader could slot in if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone

Lads, it's the USA. I think we'll manage with McGrath or Cooney. Well deserved rest for Marms. He was my MOTM match up to when he was replaced. Then POM happened

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Rory scholes gone to Brive according to Murray kinsella. Not too shocked to see him leave

In hindsight leaving Ulster was a poor rugby decision. He looked like he had a solid career ahead of him while there.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    evil_seed wrote: »
    Lads, it's the USA. I think we'll manage with McGrath or Cooney. Well deserved rest for Marms. He was my MOTM match up to when he was replaced. Then POM happened

Was just saying it’s be odd that he’s being released back if he’s not injured. Bundee has been kept in camp but after playing every minute of the first three games he’s certain not to play either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Buckley, McCabe
    Tom, delahunt
    Carey, McCoy
    Butler, sob, Boyle, Copeland
    Blade Mitchell
    Carty horwitz
    Farrell Godwin

Colby fainga'a seems to be the last of the 25

The Friend Zone
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    Colby fainga'a seems to be the last of the 25

Just saw that and edited the list. Odd there’s only two out and out centers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Buckley, McCabe
    Tom, delahunt
    Carey, McCoy
    Butler, sob, Boyle, Copeland, faingaa
    Blade Mitchell
    Carty horwitz
    Farrell Godwin

If it is a 25 man squad looks light in center. Although Horwitz and possibly kelleher/leader could slot in if needed.

It's the front row that's worrying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Was just saying it’s be odd that he’s being released back if he’s not injured. Bundee has been kept in camp but after playing every minute of the first three games he’s certain not to play either.
    Looks like he's injured

The Friend Zone
    prawnsambo wrote: »

Ankle injury again. Could he have played through the New Zealand match with a slight injury and made it worse?

Andy friend has said it’s been a recurring injury since the ulster match. Huge vote of confidence that an injured marmion was picked to start ahead of McGrath

The Friend Zone
    Mr Tickle wrote: »
    It's the front row that's worrying me.

Conan is injured and bealham is in Irish camp. You’d hope bealham gets meaningful game time for Ireland otherwise it’s a bit of a joke not letting him go to SA

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭roverjoyce

You've got a Friend in me
    Ankle injury again. Could he have played through the New Zealand match with a slight injury and made it worse?
    This needs to be found out
    Why risk a player worsening an injury for an insignificant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone

Andy friend has said it’s been a recurring injury since the ulster match. Huge vote of confidence that an injured marmion was picked to start ahead of McGrath

According to andy friend in an article on the 42 hes pretty much carried a knock since the ulster game when he went off early

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Marmion set for ankle surgery :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Conan is injured and bealham is in Irish camp. You’d hope bealham gets meaningful game time for Ireland otherwise it’s a bit of a joke not letting him go to SA

Agreed. I'm happy for the guy that he's back in Ireland Squads. He was dropped without ever really doing anything wrong. But these are two away games that could yield valuable points.
    Is Heffernan injured?

That's a big blow losing Marmion for that long, when he was really getting into his stride. The fact he was playing through injury shows how much Joe rates him ahead of the alternatives. Hopefully he gets back to play a couple of games before the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

To be fair, there's very little drop in quality from Marmion to Blade (thankfully) as Blade has been really good this year. He can't play 80 mins in every match for 3+ months though so I'd be a little worried about the cover. Maybe the game time will improve our depth though? Worked for the national team!

To be fair, there's very little drop in quality from Marmion to Blade

This is unfortunately not true. It is what it is, though, Blade and Mitchell will have to do for the next couple of months. Maybe we could do a Munster and sign a Kiwi medical joker... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

McKeon and Kerrins are no ****. Not that much worried, but more about going to S-Af without Bealham and O'Donnell. Burke again? McCoy still suspended?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You've got a Friend in me
    To be fair, there's very little drop in quality from Marmion to Blade (thankfully) as Blade has been really good this year.

Blade is having a good season but there is a big gulf between him and Marmion
    Blade strikes me as being Connachts Paul Marshall
    Need Mitchell to up his game as there'll be a lot depending on Blade for next few months - finally might see Kerins in action too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    evil_seed wrote: »
    Marmion set for ankle surgery :mad:

Already had surgery apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

connachta wrote: »
    McKeon and Kerrins are no ****. Not that much worried, but more about going to S-Af without Bealham and O'Donnell. Burke again? McCoy still suspended?

McCoy is in SA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Lebute wrote: »
    McCoy is in SA

But can he play vs Kings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Blade is having a good season but there is a big gulf between him and Marmion
    Blade strikes me as being Connachts Paul Marshall
    I've a lot of time for your posts WP but this is unbelievably harsh on Blade.

And I don't think having Blade as starting scrum-half for the next few months is anything close to a disaster. I wouldn't have been his biggest supporter by any means last season but I think he really ponied up since the Summer and has been amongst our best players alongside SOBII/Carty/Godwin. He certainly has been better than Marmion this season for Connacht. He isn't perfect but he has a lot of years left in him to really improve. I'd be much more worried if we had to rely on Mitchell who doesn't seem to be rated by Keane or Friend so far in his tenure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement