Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

And guys, we'll be the only ones to see Zebo in Ireland this season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Hard to see any of those stopping us with Daly at outhalf tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    When are these games fixed for? Presume there’s no prospect of fans going?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Redo91 wrote: »
    When are these games fixed for? Presume there’s no prospect of fans going?
    11th, 18th December and 15th, 22nd January so most likely will be behind closed doors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Just saw the whole match. Blade had a blinder, so quick with the kicking and passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Just saw the whole match. Blade had a blinder, so quick with the kicking and passing.

Yeah he had an excellent outing. His kicking really is a game changer. It made our exits so much smoother, and gave us the option of putting up contestables now and again. As great as he is in many other areas, Marmion's complete lack of a box kicking game hinders us somewhat. When he plays we always exit off 10 which can put us under pressure. Also, without a box kicking option we sometimes overplay on slow ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Yeah he had an excellent outing. His kicking really is a game changer. It made our exits so much smoother, and gave us the option of putting up contestables now and again. As great as he is in many other areas.

As the Scottish commentator said of the kicks that made Connacht’s first two tries: two of the finest individual scores you will see (although the second one was finished by Arnold). How many of our top Irish scrum-halves would have scored that first try? Blade reacted so quickly to the opportunity.

So 7 Irish 2nd rowers in Championship and ProD2

J.Madigan, D.O'Shea, D'O'Callaghan, F.Bradshaw-Ryan, S.O'Connor, and ....

The last 2 and only available it seems

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/for-all-i-know-i-could-ve-played-my-last-game-of-professional-rugby

Old boys from Connacht

Romaine, and Qualter

both no more bound for English clubs in Covid times

if, and only if, we go for an IQ medical joker, I'd go for one of them, not an U20 from other province bringing not much experience/motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Is there a chance we won't have Bundee or some fo the other lads for the opening European games? If he in particular keeps playing with Ireland then they'll want him to rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Has anybody heard who the new signing for second row will be? Meant to be announced today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    macslash wrote: »
    Is there a chance we won't have Bundee or some fo the other lads for the opening European games? If he in particular keeps playing with Ireland then they'll want him to rest.

A lot depends on who Ireland play the weeks before

Georgia might be a chance to rest a good few players and play a 2nd string

If the nation's cup has prize money based on placings then that game on December 5th might have money riding on the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    macslash wrote: »

It could be a case he'd be able to play the European games but have to sit out all the interpros over xmas.

I can't imagine the other provinces bang told you cant play any of your internationals in Europe. Prize money from Europe will be needed by the Irfu also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

lenny4545 wrote: »
    Has anybody heard who the new signing for second row will be? Meant to be announced today?

Did you hear it was to be announced today or read it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Did you hear it was to be announced today or read it ?

Heard it, Friend said it in latest craggy rugby podcast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    we regret to inform you that due to a small number of positive COVID-19 cases within the Benetton squad, PRO14 Rugby have taken the unfortunate but necessary decision to postpone Sunday's game at The Sportsground.

If they are going to start postponing games like this then,given how densely they have packed the fixtures, this season is going to be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    If they are going to start postponing games like this then,given how densely they have packed the fixtures, this season is going to be a disaster.

The real fun and games will start when this happens in European games and they end up declared as 0-0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Would have thought the season was too packed already to postpone matches, would have expected either a 0-0 draw or 20-0 walkover to be given

Sad
    At least the new lock have his time to fit in to bench at least next week

Game should be re-scheduled on the next "unoccupied" week, on the 7th of December

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Cormac Daly announced as 2nd row cover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Cormac Daly announced as 2nd row cover

Great news and he would have been up to speed being involved up until a few months ago.

• Advertisement

So in the end we indeed have a comeback, but from the US not England

Cormac Daly re-signed

Makes sense. Thought he was decent for the Eagles in 2019, big physical guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Makes sense. Thought he was decent for the Eagles in 2019, big physical guy.

he's at least as good as Cian Prendergast right now.

thought he was very unlucky not to pick up an academy deal after u20's.

bayern wrote: »
    he's at least as good as Cian Prendergast right now.

thought he was very unlucky not to pick up an academy deal after u20's.

Yeah I was surprised we didn't offer him a deal. Friend said this week that Prendergast is a 6 so I guess that's where his future lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Yeah I was surprised we didn't offer him a deal. Friend said this week that Prendergast is a 6 so I guess that's where his future lies.

Yeah Prendergast really is a 6, size/athleticism wise etc

Baird is close to be back, so one of Roux/Dillane may be released for next game vs Dragons

could be massive relief (assuming Roux recovered his shoulder)

connachta wrote: »
    Baird is close to be back, so one of Roux/Dillane may be released for next game vs Dragons

could be massive relief (assuming Roux recovered his shoulder)

I personally don't want our players to get dropped from international squads they spent their entire career working towards so that they can play a Pro12 game against the Dragons.

I personally don't want our players to get dropped from international squads they spent their entire career working towards so that they can play a Pro12 game against the Dragons.

I 100% want them to be released rather than being 4th choice and not playing a minute with Ireland

If (as Dillane today), one of them is 3rd choice so on the bench, good, I'm happy
    If Baird is back, it's not the same situation, at least for 1 of Roux or Dillane

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    I'm not really clear on the rules for the current Ireland bubble and releases etc but what I do know is these upcoming nations cup games have to played. If an outbreak costs Ireland one or two games it is potentially ruinous and the squad depth at the provinces will be the victim.

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    I 100% want them to be released rather than being 4th choice and not playing a minute with Ireland

If (as Dillane today), one of them is 3rd choice so on the bench, good, I'm happy
    If Baird is back, it's not the same situation, at least for 1 of Roux or Dillane

This is such a short term point of view. Connacht players spending time in international camp is good for Connacht rugby because:

a) The player gets exposure to the best players and coaches in the country and brings that experience back to the province with him.
    b) The player will be more likely to remain with Connacht, knowing that his provincial form will get him into the international squad.
    c) Players from other provinces will be more likely to sign for Connacht knowing that provincial form could be rewarded with international honours.
    d) Having more players in the international squad adds prestige to the Connacht brand and long term should generate revenue through bums in seats, additional sponsorship, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement