Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Appalling display. And really dumb too. Why not take the three points on 76, 77 mins and then try for a try to get the losing bonus?

Connacht are going nowhere fast under this coaching team. They really are a very average side at the moment. Makes you wonder where they'd be if Keane was still there. It'd be into his third season in charge right now. It was pretty shameful how Nucifora had Keane kicked out after only a season to make room for his job-seeking buddy. This isn't soccer.

What.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Thought Kerins looked pretty good when he came on. Zippy pass and accurate. Hopefully we get to see more of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Appalling display. And really dumb too. Why not take the three points on 76, 77 mins and then try for a try to get the losing bonus?

Connacht are going nowhere fast under this coaching team. They really are a very average side at the moment. Makes you wonder where they'd be if Keane was still there. It'd be into his third season in charge right now. It was pretty shameful how Nucifora had Keane kicked out after only a season to make room for his job-seeking buddy. This isn't soccer.

I imagine you believe the earth is also flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Even better, he thinks Leo Cullen is a PR spin master and has no other involvement in Leinster but media duties.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,057 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    He has a predilection for playing kids.... I wouldn't worry about his coaching comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

He probably thinks Fitzgerald is better than jack too!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BigRigsOnly

Lucas44 wrote: »
    He probably thinks Fitzgerald is better than jack too!

To be fair Fitzgerald has been better this season based on form, but not better as a full player of course. He’s still obviously a new player in the setup and he’s young but for me he’s impressed so far this season. But never the less that guys comment about the coaching staff & wondering about KK was a bit pathetic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lads, a red card was issued and the poster warned not to troll with rubbish like that. No need for the conversation to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

With Horowitz not seeming to cut it in any position who is our backup 10 after Carty and Fitz ? Do we need to look at signing another 10 Or have we guys coming through. Madigan wouldn't be a bad punt to Duke it out with the 2 aforementioned. He also can cover fullback where we have had a few injuries. His style of play would really suit our game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    With Horowitz not seeming to cut it in any position who is our backup 10 after Carty and Fitz ? Do we need to look at signing another 10 Or have we guys coming through. Madigan wouldn't be a bad punt to Duke it out with the 2 aforementioned. He also can cover fullback where we have had a few injuries. His style of play would really suit our game.

Please no, even if he halved his wage demands he wouldn’t be good value for money. I’m happy enough with Conor Dean as third choice and Godwin as fourth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Madigan is on bigger money than Bundee.

He is a Bristol marquee player. Would never fit here unless he took a huge pay cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Madigan is on bigger money than Bundee.

He is a Bristol marquee player. Would never fit here unless he took a huge pay cut

No, he's not.

I doubt he's on a huge wedge tbh. He wasn't coming from a position of strength when leaving Bordeaux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The thinking at the time was he was on circa 500k UKP when he moved.

I doubt he would be expecting to command anything close to that at this stage of his career after a few false starts with Bordeaux and Bristol.

Mul, it's over
    No, he's not.

I doubt he's on a huge wedge tbh. He wasn't coming from a position of strength when leaving Bordeaux.

Widely reported that he was on half a million a year in the press at the time of his signing, unless you know something the press don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Widely reported that he was on half a million a year in the press at the time of his signing, unless you know something the press don't.

If he is on that type of money he will be looking for a new club at the end of his current deal as he seems to have fallen well behind Callum sheedy for the Bears

Mul, it's over
    testtech05 wrote: »
    If he is on that type of money he will be looking for a new club at the end of his current deal as he seems to have fallen well behind Callum sheedy for the Bears

Pretty sure he'll be looking for a new club regardless. He seems to have fallen to third choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Bazzo wrote: »

It just doesn't make sense. He was on 400k (Euros) at Bordeaux, he was not a success and left after one season. And he managed to parlay that failure into a massive INCREASE to 500k sterling at Bristol?

He either has the world's best agent and Pat Lam is a total mug, or it is not accurate.

Mul, it's over
    It just doesn't make sense. He was on 400k (Euros) at Bordeaux, he was not a success and left after one season. And he managed to parlay that failure into a massive INCREASE to 500k sterling at Bristol?

He either has the world's best agent and Pat Lam is a total mug, or it is not accurate.

He joined a well financed team with no salary cap issue seeking legitimacy and promotion. He was a world cup starter for a tier 1 team.

Yes, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense but at the same time I could see why he was an attractive proposition to people with perhaps a little bit more money than sense.

Mul, it's over
    As Venjur said he was joining a championship side being bank rolled by a billionaire. It's not easy to get top tier talent to commit to 3 years when there's no guarantee any of them will be in top flight rugby, Bristol may never have got promoted and his career could have faded to obscurity in the championship.

• Advertisement

He joined a well financed team with no salary cap issue seeking legitimacy and promotion. He was a world cup starter for a tier 1 team.

Yes, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense but at the same time I could see why he was an attractive proposition to people with perhaps a little bit more money than sense.

I'd say it was just an inaccurate media report that has been going round and round.

Like that time the Indo said Francis Saili was on 500k a year at Munster and everyone accepted it as fact, despite it being obviously nonsense.

Mul, it's over
    I'd say it was just an inaccurate media report that has been going round and round.

Like that time the Indo said Francis Saili was on 500k a year at Munster and everyone accepted it as fact, despite it being obviously nonsense.

You're right. They're probably paying him more.

I think Bristol front loaded their contracts to take advantage of the lack of a salary cap in the Championship, so maybe Madigan was on 500k his first year and 300k after that. In any case I don’t think he would represent good value for money for Irish rugby and I definitely don’t want to see him at Connacht. And I say that as someone who’s always been a fan of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Was never a fan of madigan at int level but in the unlikely event he would accept a sizeable pay cut and a position as a squad player, he would be a good signing.

Haven’t read all thread so maybe mentioned but really liked Kingsholm, a slightly smaller version of that in College Road would be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Porch was very good at fullback. Would like him to remain there. Tiernan has become stagnant in that position and to be honest he always was a better winger. And while niyi is good going forward he is defensively poor. So maybe he can compete for that position. How many trys has Tiernan scored in two years. Simply nothing. He has turned into defensive nothing and no longer provides any attacking threat.

As far as I can see our academy squad have 15 minutes of senior gametime between them this season (Sean Masterson vs Benetton).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    As far as I can see our academy squad have 15 minutes of senior gametime between them this season (Sean Masterson vs Benetton).

In fairness though this is first season out of academy for Kenny, Burke, Boyle & Conor Fitz (with the latter two moving to senior early I think?) who have all seen significant gametime.

The only third year academy players at the moment are Sean Masterson, Luke Carty and Colm de Buitléar, who got fair bit of game time last season and likely would have this season too had he not been injured all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    https://www.the42.ie/faingaa-connacht-injury-4926301-Dec2019/?utm_source=shortlink

Bit of an injury update. Not very positive

Mul, it's over
    testtech05 wrote: »

Not that bad to be honest. Friend says almost all the injured players are due to return ahead of schedule, a lot due back at the start of January. Fainga'a is unfortunate but even there he says it's not as bad as they initially thought, out for this week and "probably" for the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

We may see McKeon back in this weekend covering from the bench. I'd go with Boyle 6 Butler 7 and Copeland at 8. Tough on Masterson but I think Boyle and Copeland offer more carrying ability.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement