Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obese model on Cosmo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I'm a fat girl (see user name) ....

Thank you for sharing this. I really appreciate it.

There's not much comfort in it but know that an awful lot of women and girls of whatever weight spend almost every moment loathing themselves. It almost doesn't matter what one looks like - the self hatred is endemic. That's why so many of us from childhood have a constant inner monologue of self criticism and revulsion that takes super human effort to challenge and switch off. Whatever way the advertising and entertainment industry has penetrated our psyches it has laid deep damage in so many of us.
    I wish you all the best. You sound like a great person. Your fecken cat though! The brat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ah i bet you wouldn't know natural makeup though

Every bloody time... It is, in fact, quite possible for a man to know what a woman looks like without make-up (quite a number of men live with women and see them in all manner of states of undress) and to prefer this to a made-up face.

Quite why this is so hard for many women to accept is a mystery, given that the clear majority of them tend to prefer men with no make-up. Would the world collapse if men accepting what women actually look (and smell) like was widely acknowledged?

Who exactly is convincing women that they're unsightly without lipstick, foundation, eyeliner, mascara, khol or fake tan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't see a problem. No one is going to try to gain weight to look like this woman.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

Every bloody time... It is, in fact, quite possible for a man to know what a woman looks like without make-up (quite a number of men live with women and see them in all manner of states of undress) and to prefer this to a made-up face.

I know right? I am seeing someone a while now who doesn't own any make up, none at all. She says she never has owned any. I'll still be told that she does wear make up I just don't know about it, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

I'm a fat girl (see user name) and I hate myself as much as you do. I cringe when I see fat bashing threads or comments, like the person who said fat people shouldn't be allowed to sit on public transport (different thread, long time ago). I hate taking a bus or the luas because I just know everyone is cringing hoping I don't sit beside them. I'm cringing too though and I feel sorry for anyone who has to come near me. I don't allow myself to be touched because I feel sorry for anyone having to touch me. You all probably take touch for granted but try going for years without even a hug. That's how much I hate myself.

I have three best friends who all live abroad and yet I’ve told them all I can’t bring myself to get on a plane to go visit them. I’m too afraid of all the possible embarrassing scenarios that might happen, and too afraid of the judgement of other passengers who would all be staring at me and thinking I should be in the cargo hold, or in a ‘fatties only’ section (as discussed on a previous thread).

As for this obese woman being on the cover of the magazine; I agree. It's not promoting a healthy image. But please, please stop talking about 'normal' or 'real' women. Despite my size, I am still real. I breathe and have a heart and blood and body. The size of my body doesn't make me any less of a human. I'm still real. My cat scratched me this morning and drew blood. It was red, just like yours.

My obesity, since you’ll all discuss it now that I’ve opened up, is a combination of things. Genetics, poor habits at various stages in my life, mental health illness and subsequent medications. But as my user name says, at one point I was living a very conscious healthy lifestyle, training 5 days a week, working out with a trainer, keeping a food diary. But even then, when I trained for and ran a marathon, I still remained obese. And now, with my illnesses and medication side effects, I’ve gained so much weight. But with all that, I have never ever been to a doctor for a weight related illness. My heart, cholesterol, thyroid etc etc are all operating as they should.

But I still hate myself. Actually, I loathe myself. I hate being fat. I feel every. Single. Pound. Fat gets in the way, it is constricting and uncomfortable. It disgusts me. I can’t even look at my own shadow, much less my reflection. And as for this magazine cover? Personally, I love fashion but there’s no way I could wear the kind of style I would love to wear. I would feel exposed and open to ridicule. I hate my body so much. You think you can say and think horrible things about me because I’m fat? Trust me, I’ve told myself worse.

I cannot imagine ever, EVER accepting and loving my body the way it is. No matter how many fat people they put on a magazine cover.

Its quite possible to lose weight and get to a size you prefer, its been done,is being and will be done by people all over the world. The only thing stopping people is a defeatest attitude. Pointing things out like "Genetics, poor habits at various stages in my life, mental health illness and subsequent medications" are just excuses(barriers as i like to call them but other people will use the other word) You CAN lose weight, its simple science and numbers, by watching what goes in and burning off more than goes int the numbers decrease on the scale, the math doesnt lie

I dont agree with fat shaming but i dont agree with promoting obesity like the cover either, its great you got into a healthy lifestyle, if it was you want then get back into it, you can do it and you will do it if you want, nobody will stop you except you! Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Quite why this is so hard for many women to accept is a mystery, given that the clear majority of them tend to prefer men with no make-up. Would the world collapse if men accepting what women actually look (and smell) like was widely acknowledged?

Who exactly is convincing women that they're unsightly without lipstick, foundation, eyeliner, mascara, khol or fake tan?

It's possible and probably even very common ofc, but I've heard plenty of women saying they got told they look sick with no makeup, and natural and barefaced with natural makeup. Or even "she looks nice with no makeup on like that" and the person is wearing about 20 products.

Funnily enough someone tried claiming no makeup on a skincare subreddit before when there was clearly plenty

I've never heard anyone actually saying that before to someone so I'm surprised at the "every time" comment.

I don't see a problem. No one is going to try to gain weight to look like this woman.

thats not the problem, promoting it as something that is ok to be when its not is, many boys and girls will look at it and think well if they are on the covers of things like that then it isnt such a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They might decide that the dont need to lose weight based on this, thats the problem.

"I'm only 19 stone, sure she is 20+ and on magazines"

Humans have a terrible habit of doing nothing if they are not at the absolute brink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

sexmag wrote: »
    Its quite possible to lose weight and get to a size you prefer, its been done,is being and will be done by people all over the world. The only thing stopping people is a defeatest attitude. Pointing things out like "Genetics, poor habits at various stages in my life, mental health illness and subsequent medications" are just excuses(barriers as i like to call them but other people will use the other word) You CAN lose weight, its simple science and numbers, by watching what goes in and burning off more than goes int the numbers decrease on the scale, the math doesnt lie

I dont agree with fat shaming but i dont agree with promoting obesity like the cover either, its great you got into a healthy lifestyle, if it was you want then get back into it, you can do it and you will do it if you want, nobody will stop you except you! Good luck

I don't know if you missed what I said about when I was living a healthy lifestyle. I was still obese. To look at me you would think I was scoffing pizzas and coke everyday when in reality I ate nothing that was processed or canned or sugary. I ate so well that even my personal trainer said he wanted to eat like me. And yet I was still obese. So it wasn't as simple as calories in, calories out.

I know I can lose weight, I have done before, but while I'm recovering from my illness and trying to cope with side effects of my medication, it hasn't been easy. I have no support here either so I'm going it alone, and I am very lonely. Eventually, when I'm recovered enough I will have the energy to get back running etc. I miss running. But I think I will always be 'this fat girl'.

I don't know if you missed what I said about when I was living a healthy lifestyle. I was still obese. To look at me you would think I was scoffing pizzas and coke everyday when in reality I ate nothing that was processed or canned or sugary. I ate so well that even my personal trainer said he wanted to eat like me. And yet I was still obses. So it wasn't as simple as calories in, calories out.

I'm going to be crucified here, but I call bullsh*t on that.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Do we put them on the cover of glossy magazines with circulations of millions :confused:

Hmm...
    guzman_iggy-pop-cover.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

I'm a fat girl (see user name) and I hate myself as much as you do. I cringe when I see fat bashing threads or comments, like the person who said fat people shouldn't be allowed to sit on public transport (different thread, long time ago). I hate taking a bus or the luas because I just know everyone is cringing hoping I don't sit beside them. I'm cringing too though and I feel sorry for anyone who has to come near me.  I don't allow myself to be touched because I feel sorry for anyone having to touch me. You all probably take touch for granted but try going for years without even a hug. That's how much I hate myself.

I have three best friends who all live abroad and yet I’ve told them all I can’t bring myself to get on a plane to go visit them. I’m too afraid of all the possible embarrassing scenarios that might happen, and too afraid of the judgement of other passengers who would all be staring at me and thinking I should be in the cargo hold, or in a ‘fatties only’ section (as discussed on a previous thread).

As for this obese woman being on the cover of the magazine; I agree. It's not promoting a healthy image.  But please, please stop talking about 'normal' or 'real' women.  Despite my size, I am still real. I breathe and have a heart and blood and body. The size of my body doesn't make me any less of a human.  I'm still real. My cat scratched me this morning and drew blood. It was red, just like yours.

My obesity, since you’ll all discuss it now that I’ve opened up, is a combination of things. Genetics, poor habits at various stages in my life, mental health illness and subsequent medications.  But as my user name says, at one point I was living a very conscious healthy lifestyle, training 5 days a week, working out with a trainer, keeping a food diary. But even then, when I trained for and ran a marathon, I still remained obese.  And now, with my illnesses and medication side effects, I’ve gained so much weight. But with all that, I have never ever been to a doctor for a weight related illness.  My heart, cholesterol, thyroid etc etc are all operating as they should.

But I still hate myself. Actually, I loathe myself. I hate being fat. I feel every. Single. Pound. Fat gets in the way, it is constricting and uncomfortable. It disgusts me.  I can’t even look at my own shadow, much less my reflection.  And as for this magazine cover? Personally, I love fashion but there’s no way I could wear the kind of style I would love to wear. I would feel exposed and open to ridicule.  I hate my body so much. You think you can say and think horrible things about me because I’m fat? Trust me, I’ve told myself worse.

I cannot imagine ever, EVER accepting and loving my body the way it is. No matter how many fat people they put on a magazine cover.
    You have the ability to change that. Walk 2 or 3 mile a day, eat a clean diet which includes things like rice, chicken, green veg, keep the rice in the right quantities, plenty of eggs etc. You will see the weight fly off. Another one is going meat and veg diet, the fat just melts off you because it uses your fat as an energy source.

Malayalam wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this. I really appreciate it.

There's not much comfort in it but know that an awful lot of women and girls of whatever weight spend almost every moment loathing themselves. It almost doesn't matter what one looks like - the self hatred is endemic. That's why so many of us from childhood have a constant inner monologue of self criticism and revulsion that takes super human effort to challenge and switch off. Whatever way the advertising and entertainment industry has penetrated our psyches it has laid deep damage in so many of us.
    I wish you all the best. You sound like a great person. Your fecken cat though! The brat.

Thanks. My cat is an asshole sometimes! It was 5am!

Self hatred is certainly a problem for many. I guess I feel that what i hate myself for is something so visible, there's no hiding that I'm fat. Before a person even knows my name they know I'm fat and probably have preconceived idea about the kind of person that makes me. Fatness is just so visible and it's the one thing everyone feels they can comment on. I don't own my fatness, the world does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I've said I want to get down to my jogging weight, it would still give me a BMI of 36 - obese. But at my worst ever it was 55 and for most of the last year it's been around the 48/49 mark.

It's now after 10 weeks of eating very very healthily, 42.

When I said that I was told "you must aim lower, for someone your height you should be 8 stone". Yes at 8 stone by BMI would be 21, which might be technically healthy but I'd look like I'd just been dug up 6 months after death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sardine wrote: »

I can eat over 4k calories a day not do much and not put on weight, my wife puts on weight on 1500 calories a day and to shed weight needs to go done to 1000 a day or less. We joke that breathing makes her fat. She is also very active far more active than me. But at the end of the day if she cuts down her calorie intake enough she looses weight.

I ran the marathon at 99kg. The most I got down to was 95kg. You can go back over my training log in the A/R/T forum if you want. It was all public. I also tracked all my food on myfitness pal.

Call all the bulltweet you want but I had plenty of witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

As for this obese woman being on the cover of the magazine; I agree. It's not promoting a healthy image. But please, please stop talking about 'normal' or 'real' women. Despite my size, I am still real. I breathe and have a heart and blood and body. The size of my body doesn't make me any less of a human. I'm still real. My cat scratched me this morning and drew blood. It was red, just like yours.

Wonderful post but I just wanted to mention something about this. This woman promotes herself as being healthy and promotes HAES (health at every size) which simply isn't true.

She also speaks about how "real men" like "realistic" (apparently she is realistic) women. So she has brought the real women talk on herself. Personally I am against it from either side but when someone says they if you're not attracted to them you're not a real man that they should expect to be told that being the size of 3-4 healthy women combined does not make them a real woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I ran the marathon at 99kg. The most I got down to was 95kg. You can go back over my training log in the A/R/T forum if you want. It was all public. I also tracked all my food on myfitness pal.

Had to Google KG to lbs!

I well believe you, I was 196lbs (14 stone or 89kg) when I did the Flora Mini Marathon in 1hr 45m.

Not Olympic standard but not bad for a fat (then) 42 year old broad!

Good on ya!

I don't know if you missed what I said about when I was living a healthy lifestyle. I was still obese.

I know I can lose weight, I have done before'.

These 2 lines contradict each other?

If you have been able to lose weight and then you were working out and eating healthy how did you not lose weight? Going from obese to overweigh to a healthy weight doesnt happen over night, There are many threads on reddit of people going from 350 pounds to 200 to 150 and it taking over a year and hald to 2, im not saying youre that weight as i obviously do not know but it does take a long time but in the end is so so so worth it.

Im glad you like running, i really hope you find the energy and time to get back to it, its so good for your physical and mental health, theres a high from releasing endoprhins while working out that cant be matched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Whatabout, whatabout, whatabout. The worst way to debate a topic.

Regardless, you must have missed the long running controversies about such under weight models. As far as I recall they weren't just banned by certain fashion shows, but entire countries such as France brought in legislation to prevent their use and discourage the practice.

Can you imagine the outcry if fashion shows banned fat people from their catwalks? The SJW's would be in uproar.

Noises were made for a relatively brief time. Underweight models are still commonplace in the fashion, don’t fool yourself. Especially high fashion. You think beautiful lithe girls new to the fashion world aren’t having their hips furiously measured and being told to drop a bundle of weight these days? LOL. As soon as the heat is off is the fashion biz, they’re back to their old tricks. It’s a rotten industry.

The whataboutery at the end of your post is probably the weakest I’ve seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Thanks. My cat is an asshole sometimes! It was 5am!

Self hatred is certainly a problem for many. I guess I feel that what i hate myself for is something so visible, there's no hiding that I'm fat. Before a person even knows my name they know I'm fat and probably have preconceived idea about the kind of person that makes me. Fatness is just so visible and it's the one thing everyone feels they can comment on. I don't own my fatness, the world does.

Wait till you turn 50, and the world hands you your magic invisibility cloak ;):D

Right you may have been eating healthy food but you still need a calorie deficit. You must have still been eating too much. I got up to 95kg once, and went back down to 79 at one stage simply through a calorie deficit. I'm not around 85 and happy. But it's purely down to calories in and calories out, unless you're a special case, but you didn't see many obese people in Ireland in the 70s, when food in general wasn't as widely available.

I'm sorry I'm not having a go at you, I'm just looking at your situation objectively, I have issues with booze and other things myself, so I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

So it wasn't as simple as calories in, calories out.

Many studies have shown exactly this. Your calories out can be affected by many things but deep down this is the only thing that matters regarding weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Maybe but I recently had a medication change (I came off the pill) and with zero other change in my lifestyle or diet 10lb just melted off me.

Everyone is asking me what diet Im on. Im not.

Taytoland wrote: »
    You have the ability to change that. Walk 2 or 3 mile a day, eat a clean diet which includes things like rice, chicken, green veg, keep the rice in the right quantities, plenty of eggs etc. You will see the weight fly off. Another one is going meat and veg diet, the fat just melts off you because it uses your fat as an energy source.

Seriously, did you read the post at all? The bit about training 5 days a week and eating a very healthy diet? Is it that hard to accept someone's word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Shenshen wrote: »
    Good thing Cosmo is not a health magazine, then.

While I agree that whatever lifestyle or health issues caused her to gain that weight is not going to be a positive influence on her overall health, I'm getting a bit tired of all these armchair doctors on boards, who remote-diagnose by looking at one photo.

I used to be that size. I've lost a very good bit of it since, but I'm still morbidly obese. Yet my blood sugar levels, blood pressure and cholesterol were all perfectly ok on my last check-up 4 months ago, as was my overall state of health. I'm training to do a triathlon next year.
    While obesity is a contributing factor to many health issues, that does not mean every fat person is absolutely disease-ridden.

I’m not an armchair doctor. This woman is massive. She’s a size 26. You say you were the same size but you have “lost a very good bit of it”. This woman has not lost any weight and from what she says does not seem to want to. I never said she was absolutely disease ridden but I doubt her health is as good as yours. I also don’t think she would be capable of participating in a triathlon.
    Everyone knows being her size is not healthy. It will catch up with her in the long term. The magazine that has her on the cover is just chasing sales. Being that big is not something to be celebrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Anyone that says horrible things about you isn't worth worrying about. Sic your cat on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

God I hate the "real woman" thing.

I'm 5' 7", 10 stone and - shock horror - wear make-up. Am I any less real than someone heavier? Someone who doesn't wear make-up? Someone with a bigger bum? Someone with smaller boobs?

We're all fcuking real, for jaysis sake.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm 5' 7", 10 stone and shock horror.

My type of woman so:D

• Advertisement

My type of woman so:D

I smell a romance brewing

Advertisement