Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obese model on Cosmo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Sardine wrote: »
    Think I’ve seen her somewhere before though.

She played the Orca in Free Willy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

To start I should declare that I've a fair bit of timber on me.

Losing it slowly due to lifestyle changes but this is not a good move. If someone could wave a magic wand and make me 10 stone, I'd bite their hands off.

Whilst I don't want this thread to develop into bullying like the "Flying Fat Tax" one did not long back, obesity should not be "celebrated" in any way. I don't want to be picked on but neither should I be lauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He's obese as well, so for once in his life he's actually qualified to comment.

He's overweight, he's not obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The logic that "self acceptance" is a positive thing is preposterous.
    If you're doing something detrimental to your health being accepting of it isn't a positive thing, and promoting morbid obesity to others isn't positive either.
    Cosmopolitan is a magazine bought and read mostly by women (or non binary self accepting gender identity neutral blah blah blah people) and here we have a morbidly obese women promoting her acceptance of her obesity to possibly young impressionable women (and whoever else) whilst posing in what would be described by some in a manner which objecifies her as a woman.
    I don't get the modern world, everybody wants to be seen to be inclusive of everything, and coming from world where discrimination was normal and political correctness was a useful and ground leveling notion to today's anything goes mentality its clear that western society has through good intentions dissappeared up its own rectum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

This woman should not be on the cover of a magazine. Nobody with that amount of fat in their body is healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I like a larger lady but not that large

This woman should not be on the cover of a magazine. Nobody with that amount of fat in their body is healthy.

Absolutely agree.

I have a medical condition at the minute that was not caused by being overweight but it's certainly not helping it.

To pretend otherwise would be insane.

Would we wish "acceptance" of a heroin addict ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Would we wish "acceptance" of a heroin addict ?

But we do accept such addicts

Wanderer78 wrote: »

But we encourage them to get help surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Do we put them on the cover of glossy magazines with circulations of millions :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

But we encourage them to get help surely ?

Do we, or do we just pass them, largely ignoring their situation, myself included?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Dial Hard wrote:
    Do we put them on the cover of glossy magazines with circulations of millions

Do you remember fashion in the 90's... heroin chic...

Apart from one good song, it was literally the only reason Pete Doherty was in the media all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Imagine how hard it is for guys like me. I know she's unhealthy, but I find her super hot, too. "Girl, I'll support you trying to lose weight and getting healthier, for you...but don't, 'cause I love your jiggle." Constant struggle. Genuinely would rather Tess sit on my face than Scarlett Johansson.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Imagine how hard it is for guys like me. I know she's unhealthy, but I find her super hot, too. "Girl, I'll support you trying to lose weight and getting healthier, for you...but don't, 'cause I love your jiggle." Constant struggle. Genuinely would rather Tess sit on my face than Scarlett Johansson.

Whatever you're into, maybe bring a snorkel just to be safe.

I'd rather not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thoie wrote: »
    I agree that the lady is obese, but it bugs me that no-one ever looks at the extremely underweight models that appear on the majority of magazines and worries about their health. Being extremely underweight, which many models are, also has health implications - osteoporosis, increased risk of certain cancers, decreased immune functions, and more likely to suffer respiratory problems.
    Thoie wrote: »
    Do you feel the same about magazines that show models who are 178cm and weigh 50kg? Because that's been happening for a long time.
    Whatabout, whatabout, whatabout. The worst way to debate a topic.

Regardless, you must have missed the long running controversies about such under weight models. As far as I recall they weren't just banned by certain fashion shows, but entire countries such as France brought in legislation to prevent their use and discourage the practice.

Can you imagine the outcry if fashion shows banned fat people from their catwalks? The SJW's would be in uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

None of them could really be said to bear much of a resemblance to Adam & Paul, though, could they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Genuinely would rather Tess sit on my face than Scarlett Johansson.

ohhellnopd.gif~c200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

This lady is not someone to admire (for her weight anyway) but I also don't think that she needs to be denigrated. Look at the posts on this thread alone, it's been tame enough so far but she's been called a whale at least twice, as well as a fatty. No wonder she wants people like herself to feel better about themselves when you're facing comments like that.

Of course being obese is not healthy, nor is being underweight (though we hear very little about that in comparison, don't we? And I doubt that's all to do with the obesity epidemic, more to do with fatty bashing). Unfortunately when you're obese you wear your vice very visibly. People may not be able to see on sight that you're an alcoholic or a smoker or a gambler but they can see right away that you're overweight, or obese.

I'm doing weight watchers at the moment but my god, it's fcuking hard, there are days when I want to say fcuk it and eat a slice of cheesecake, or a whole damn cheesecake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Good thing Cosmo is not a health magazine, then.

While I agree that whatever lifestyle or health issues caused her to gain that weight is not going to be a positive influence on her overall health, I'm getting a bit tired of all these armchair doctors on boards, who remote-diagnose by looking at one photo.

I used to be that size. I've lost a very good bit of it since, but I'm still morbidly obese. Yet my blood sugar levels, blood pressure and cholesterol were all perfectly ok on my last check-up 4 months ago, as was my overall state of health. I'm training to do a triathlon next year.
    While obesity is a contributing factor to many health issues, that does not mean every fat person is absolutely disease-ridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's not fair to showcase a person struggling with obesity like this and trying to pretend that it's normal. These enablers are playing with Tess Holiday's life.

You're just not going to live long at that size, it's an unatural state of being for the human body, we're not built to carry such weight.

Morbid obesity will kill a person much faster than heavy drinking, smoking or drug abuse.

It should not be celebrated in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Ah come on now, there are extremely beautiful over weight girls, some of those plus size models have the faces of (Rubenesque) angels, but that girl is just really, really, really fat. It's not attractive. Well, in my opinion. She should reduce her food intake and increase her movement - she could be lovely looking, she has great features. The amount of chub rub she would get like she is now on those thighs alone - she would have ongoing medical problems every day that would need attention, like having to put cream or powders on areas of skin that are either agitated from rubbing or in folds that harbour sweat constantly. It would actually be hard to keep clean. She would have problems with cystitis from prolapsing organs and pressure. She would have fatty liver, fatty arteries, sleep apnea, difficulty with breathing while lying down. Sorry :( I just think she needs to lose weight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Heh, that reminds my of my husband. When I announced to him I'd start trying to lose weight, he somehow found the ONE AND ONLY acceptable answer : "But not too much, ok?"

Shenshen wrote: »

While I agree that whatever lifestyle or health issues caused her to gain that weight is not going to be a positive influence on her overall health, I'm getting a bit tired of all these armchair doctors on boards, who remote-diagnose by looking at one photo.

I used to be that size. I've lost a very good bit of it since, but I'm still morbidly obese. Yet my blood sugar levels, blood pressure and cholesterol were all perfectly ok on my last check-up 4 months ago, as was my overall state of health. I'm training to do a triathlon next year.
    While obesity is a contributing factor to many health issues, that does not mean every fat person is absolutely disease-ridden.

Absolutely spot on! Good kick in the arse will see me to 50, I drink on match days and eat crap but the rest of the time try to be healthy. Still a chunk but it's coming down.

However there's an absolute stunner in the office, and she gets every bug going.

I've got a buggered hip and that's the only reason I've seen a GP outside of anxiety meds and that's hardly ever tbh - just when my dad got sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yeah I was going to point that out. If there was one enduring trend that stood out in 90's it was heroin chic. That was followed by size 0 madness where girls like Nicole Ritchie, Olsen twins and Victoria Beckham ruled fashion magazines. Big hair, big bags, big glasses were used to make body look even smaller. Rachel Zoe look was created and while I'm not exactly in touch with tabloid gossip I'd say half of her clients had eating disorders. After that you have a Kardashian body type which is extreme in another direction and full make on up and beauty fillers that can't be to healthy. Frankly obese woman on the cover of magazine is just another in long line of unhealthy lifestyles that landed in magazines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Shenshen wrote: »

Brilliant work. Hat off to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Don't print that magazine cover, I did 2 hours ago and its still printing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Dial Hard wrote:
    None of them could really be said to bear much of a resemblance to Adam & Paul, though, could they?

That doesn't mean they weren't wildly unhealthy or couldn't be seen to be glamourising an unhealthy lifestyle. The fact that they weren't presented with an Adam and Paul type look actually makes it worse, if you're talking about the promotion of unhealthy lifestyle choices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Don't print that magazine cover, I did 2 hours ago and its still printing.

You're a bad bastard Sir, and I salute. :D

Advertisement