Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator reccommendations

Options
  • 27-08-2018 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Looking to get a mod for my .308, Ive been looking at Wildcat, Ase, Hausken and DPT.
    Would anybody reccommend any of the above brands, or models from them? Also besides a reduction in overall length, is there any advantage to an over barrel mod?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aiwaz

I've a Wildcat Evolution Moderator on my 6.5x55, no issues although at the range the weekend the heat coming off it was causing mirage(me thinks). Couldn't figure what was happening for ages but after 5/6 rounds downrange could literally see the heat waves on the target. Been new to the world of mods I'm guessing this was the case. Someone with more experience might chime in bit the Wildcat in general is fine and modular so easy to clean...

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Two years ago Calibre Magazine had compared moderators. The Hausken JD224 had the best noise reduction vs weight. I have 3 of the and they seem to work well. Only thing with Hausken, if you notice bad grouping or flyers with a Hausken then the cause might be that the baffle holes are generally on the tight side. I use a 243 on the 223 and bored out the 30 cal mods by almost 0.5mm.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭alanmc

I have a Wildcat Predator 8 on my 308. Use it on my 223 as well.

I'd recommend it highly. Easy to break down and clean. Very good at reducing recoil on the 308. Noticably tightens up my groups on the 223. And very little shift of POI on either rifle. I guess my only gripe would be, as mods go, it is a little heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Im in the same boat im thinking about getting a Sonic 45 mod for my 308 because im set to make a racket on saturday morning(hopefully:P)
    My father has a wildcat mod on his rifle and i quite like the look of it
    Is there any major disadvantage to sealed moderators :confused: how do you clean them properly??

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Im in the same boat im thinking about getting a Sonic 45 mod for my 308 because im set to make a racket on saturday morning(hopefully:P)
    My father has a wildcat mod on his rifle and i quite like the look of it
    Is there any major disadvantage to sealed moderators :confused: how do you clean them properly??

What do you need to clean a moderator for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Sika98k wrote: »

Oh sorry im thinking rimfire moderators tend to get filthy, id hazard a guess that a centrefire just blows all of the carbon etc out anyway?+no unburnt powder
    Also if it ever happens that im crossing a ditch,stream, river what ever and i slip and the rifle takes a nosedive into dirt, and the mod get filled with sh*te itd be handy to have a removable baffle stack for easy cleaning.I know its very unlikely to happen and ive never done it personally but ive seen shotgun barrels filled like this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Oh sorry im thinking rimfire moderators tend to get filthy, id hazard a guess that a centrefire just blows all of the carbon etc out anyway?+no unburnt powder
    Also if it ever happens that im crossing a ditch,stream, river what ever and i slip and the rifle takes a nosedive into dirt, and the mod get filled with sh*te itd be handy to have a removable baffle stack for easy cleaning.I know its very unlikely to happen and ive never done it personally but ive seen shotgun barrels filled like this

Use a condom over the mod or shotgun barrel . Keeps everything clean in the event of a slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Have a stalon on my .243 and find it great. Comes apart for cleaning too, sound reduction is great and i dont notice it on the gun really. Much prefer it to my old T8

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ejg wrote: »
    Two years ago Calibre Magazine had compared moderators. The Hausken JD224 had the best noise reduction vs weight. I have 3 of the and they seem to work well. Only thing with Hausken, if you notice bad grouping or flyers with a Hausken then the cause might be that the baffle holes are generally on the tight side. I use a 243 on the 223 and bored out the 30 cal mods by almost 0.5mm.
    edi

I've had atec, T8 and a Hausken JD224 and I'd recommend the Hausken. I'd also recommend paying close attention to what edi says above. I had to drill the baffles on mine too but I was being a bit ambitious in the first place with how tight the mod was

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sika98k wrote: »

Unless it is some kind of sealed unit in stainless steel.you do need to clean the silencer. They gather up a huge amount of burnt powder residue[obviously] and in that there are corrosive chemicals and moisture. If that gets into your threads on your barrel,or the silencer itself, if it is a disassemble model, you could be looking at some strap wrench time,or using the missus 'es chip pan to heat up the end of the barrel,or the can itself in chip oil to get it to come off. Only then to discover that your threads and muzzle crown are damaged from corrosion..:(
    You can make this job a bit easier, by running your can "Wet".IE having the internals wet with oil. Not dripping wet, but a good sheen of oil on the inside.it seems to stop the powder residue from baking onto the parts,as well as making the can a bit quieter.Your mileage may vary on that depending on which can you use.

Cleaning ,read instructions on recommended procedures for your particular model.I just disassemble entirely, throw it all in a basin of petrol, and leave a few hours. Scrub all threads and carbon deposits with a toothbrush,let it air dry and oil and reassemble.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Also i would never leave it on the rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

Vegeta wrote: »
    I've had atec, T8 and a Hausken JD224 and I'd recommend the Hausken. I'd also recommend paying close attention to what edi says above. I had to drill the baffles on mine too but I was being a bit ambitious in the first place with how tight the mod was

Do you use the Hausken for hunting or tsrget shooting or both? How does it handle the heat? Does it give mirage problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Rifter wrote: »
    Do you use the Hausken for hunting or tsrget shooting or both? How does it handle the heat? Does it give mirage problems?

I use it for a bit of both. All mods will cause mirage issues to some extent or another. Some people use covers (or tape) to mitigate the mirage while shooting and then pull them off after their string to let the moderator cool. Could be an option for you.

Advertisement