Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley SC loads of units closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

ongarboy wrote: »
    An American party ware/decorations etc retailer Party City is opening in the LV Retail Park according to the Sunday Times.

Yeah, I noticed posters either side of the unit they're going into (between Argos and Hanley's) advertising open positions a couple weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

ongarboy wrote: »
    An American party ware/decorations etc retailer Party City is opening in the LV Retail Park according to the Sunday Times.

The same Party City which is closing 45 stores in the states due to the lack of helium for their balloons.

https://gizmodo.com/the-global-helium-shortage-has-gotten-so-bad-party-cit-1834680067

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

unkel wrote: »
    You're aware of the 239? Goes from LV SC to Blanch SC :)

Loads of them 239s floating around in the Bermuda Triangle.
    It started off great, looked great had an improved timetable but they just seem to disappear off the radar.
    People have lost confidence in the service so from Lucan to Blanch it is best to travel to the city adds an extra bus and an extra hour but if you have to be in work what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Vila store in Liffey Valley closed today............another one bites the dust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

jomalone14 wrote: »
    Vila store in Liffey Valley closed today............another one bites the dust?

Where is that based? Anyone know when Zara is opening?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Loads of them 239s floating around in the Bermuda Triangle.
    It started off great, looked great had an improved timetable but they just seem to disappear off the radar.
    People have lost confidence in the service so from Lucan to Blanch it is best to travel to the city adds an extra bus and an extra hour but if you have to be in work what can you do.

The 76a is another option but suffers from the same problem, topped with it doesnt even run on a weekend. I've probably mentioned it on this thread before, but LV suffers from extremely poor public transport availability and routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The 76a is another option but suffers from the same problem, topped with it doesnt even run on a weekend. I've probably mentioned it on this thread before, but LV suffers from extremely poor public transport availability and routes.

Its not that bad, 13 dublin buses stop there, that doesn't include Bus Eireann, airport hopper and other buses.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Its not that bad, 13 dublin buses stop there, that doesn't include Bus Eireann, airport hopper and other buses.

It's great if you're coming from the city centre but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It's great if you're coming from the city centre but that's it.

Or if you live in Lucan, Adamstown, Leixlip, Maynooth, Celbridge, off the top of my head. Bus gets you to LV in 20 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Berserker wrote: »

Is it even actually confirmed that Zara will be opening? I haven't seen anything official stated anywhere apart from hearsay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Berserker wrote: »

Next door to the Sketchers store.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Wallis store also to close!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably expected from the rest of Arcadia fecking off a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

L1011 wrote: »
    Probably expected from the rest of Arcadia fecking off a while back.

last ditch rescue plan to save the group, or what remains of it. That Wallis was one of the most profitable of the group, that’s why it was left there first time round. Family member will lose their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

anewme wrote: »
    lFamily member will lose their job.

Large Zara coming in, your family member is quite likely to get a job in there based on their experience and near full employment in the Dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

Still looking bad lads. Units still closing. Retail is hard. Rents and rates are astronomical in these shopping centres. The landlords can hold out if they want and wait till these unicorn shops will appear and pay these crazy rates. Or more realistically people will buy from Amazon.

The problem is investment firms have bought Liffey valley for absolute top dollar and can't afford to rent it out cheap. But retail is changing. We are not buying locally when we can get it cheaper online. It gets worse when more people are falling into poverty traps and don't have the luxury of buying locally. It's only getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Was in the food court with the kids last weekend, there isn't a single shop in the place I'd be tempted to look in never mind buy anything, so it was in and out!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Food court is the only place a visit there, maybe the odd look in M&S. It's a nice sheltered place to walk for my elderly mother who is recovering from OHS

Large Zara coming in, your family member is quite likely to get a job in there based on their experience and near full employment in the Dublin area

V Different age group Zara vs Wallis.

Also different terms now in retail jobs. Terms v much disimproved and geared towards transient short term workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I never buy anything in LV myself, apart from go to the cinema and eat food. None of the shops interest me and never have done in the 20 years I've been going there. I buy everything online. What's very scary for retail is that my other half used to buy all her clothes in shops like in LV, but in the last few years she has moved almost all of her purchases online too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I never buy anything in LV myself, apart from go to the cinema and eat food. None of the shops interest me and never have done in the 20 years I've been going there. I buy everything online. What's very scary for retail is that my other half used to buy all her clothes in shops like in LV, but in the last few years she has moved almost all of her purchases online too.

Same here. Live close to it. Cinema maybe 3 times a year. Boots in an emergency and M&S for click and collect.

I do remember going into Easons in LV for a book for my niece and there was a difference of €5 between Easons and the Bookstation in the Mill Centre nearby. That really put me off LV.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Is there any confirmation who is going into the newly amalgamated units down by M&S (I know a few have said Zara but havent seen any official announcement anywhere but see work is continuing up there - also the new plans for Liffey Valley sound pretty impressive
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/hines-lodges-135m-expansion-plan-for-liffey-valley-1.4228818

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Shopping centres will always thrive if located well and keep updating their tenant mix.

You'll always hear those with no expertise claiming the deathnell of a centre. Its been happening for decades and yet none of these centres have died as they have changed with the times.

Stillorgan was once THE shopping centre with all the top names. Then came Tallaght, Liffey valley and Dundrum and everyone said it would die. The tenant mix changed and its still busy. Nutgrove is still busy too.

Liffey Valley will always thrive. You will see a move towards entertainment and leisure, you will see some shops close and new ones open.

What you need to know is that shopping is Ireland's #1 pastime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Is zara really coming? I know they had been the main ones forward for the old Topshop store but I had heard they decided not to go ahead. Hence why the pippa pop up was there and the store remained empty since.

Liffey Valley used to be great.

Starbucks opened drive through near the Ark roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Starbucks opened drive through near the Ark roundabout.

Is that down where the new Burger King and KFC is?

messrs wrote: »
    Is that down where the new Burger King and KFC is?

Yep.

Havent been over that way in a good while, didnt know Starbucks was in there aswell.

messrs wrote: »
    Havent been over that way in a good while, didnt know Starbucks was in there aswell.

Think only opened today.

• Advertisement

Think only opened today.

Do you know what else is there? From what i remember seeing few months ago there were 4 units there and had seen signs for BK and KFC but didnt hear who else was going in

Advertisement