Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley SC loads of units closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

emo72 wrote: »
    anewme wrote: »
    My point is ive never seen it in an actual shop unit before.

I thought it was outside in the middle of the mall.. it's taking up a whole shop unit now - between that and the Halloween shop, that's 2 kinds of "nothing" filler shops beside each other.

I thought it was always a stall too. Never seen it in an actual shop unit.

Any truth to the rumour that Zara is taking a large unit down there?

Zara only announced this week that sales in their Irish stores are booming so I could very well see them eyeing up a unit in Liffey Valley. Surprised they're not there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I see Carraig Donn is opening in one of the free spots by Marks.
    Golden disc is now where Head was.
    Pippa O'Connor shop(pop for 3-6 months) opening by Marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

beauf wrote: »
    The issue with online shopping is not simply price.

Lots of stores are all just stocking the same narrow range of stuff.

Often you can't find what you want in a bricks and mortar store so you'be no alternative but to go online.

My OH had a classic example with Zara a few weeks back. She was looking to buy a pair of boots that she saw in London. Tried the stores in the city centre and Blanch but couldn't find them. Ended up getting them online and using using their in store delivery. Came across a whole lot of options for both of us online that weren't in the stores. Didn't realise that Zara had such a selection of men's clothing.
    I see Carraig Donn is opening in one of the free spots by Marks.
    Golden disc is now where Head was.
    Pippa O'Connor shop(pop for 3-6 months) opening by Marks.

Was in there yesterday and noticed the Golden discs has opened in the same unit as the existing music/Dvd shop. That season Halloween shop adds nothing to the centre.

Berserker wrote: »
    My OH had a classic example with Zara a few weeks back. She was looking to buy a pair of boots that she saw in London. Tried the stores in the city centre and Blanch but couldn't find them. Ended up getting them online and using using their in store delivery. Came across a whole lot of options for both of us online that weren't in the stores. Didn't realise that Zara had such a selection of men's clothing.

Was in there yesterday and noticed the Golden discs has opened in the same unit as the existing music/Dvd shop. That season Halloween shop adds nothing to the centre.

It was great for the kids, we got all we wanted for halloween. It will close now.

It was great for the kids, we got all we wanted for halloween. It will close now.

Not think it'll move to Christmas stock now? Apologies for my married with no kids bias, didn't think of the little'uns. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

ongarboy wrote: »
    Zara only announced this week that sales in their Irish stores are booming so I could very well see them eyeing up a unit in Liffey Valley. Surprised they're not there already.

Family friend worked in one of the Arcadia stores before made redundant- the staff were informed that Zara were replacing them in LV...

Berserker wrote: »
    Not think it'll move to Christmas stock now? Apologies for my married with no kids bias, didn't think of the little'uns. :D

Gotta to love xmas.

Each to their own. Different shops for all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Surprised it wasn't in the media but the I connect store in liffey valley was ramraided in the early hours of today, car driven in through the doors beside next, then around into the shop, cleared it and back out.again!

5500 wrote: »
    Surprised it wasn't in the media but the I connect store in liffey valley was ramraided in the early hours of today, car driven in through the doors beside next, then around into the shop, cleared it and back out.again!

Where was the 24 hour security? Thought there was bollards in front of the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

5500 wrote: »

Can't find any mention of this whatsoever on tinternet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Very surprised its not mentioned anywhere, the door beside next/marks had big wooden hoarding blocking it up yesterday, iconnect shop front glass was just about all gone too and shop blocked off, it was fairly obvious something had happened.

I don't think there were bollards blocking the door there, there's bollards around that area but obviously enough room to get a car past or they took the bollards down on the way in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Where was the 24 hour security?

Probably penny pinching and only having 1 or 2 on overnight or relying on mobile patrols

• Registered Users Posts: 11,863 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Flye fit opening a 20,000 sq ft gym down beside Clayton Hôtel

Christmas shop opened in the same unit as the Halloween shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Retail is dying completely. I work for a major British retailer for university beer money and the CEO wrote to the company saying that retail sales have fallen nearly 7% this year but online sales have increased by 17%.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elemonator wrote: »
    Retail is dying completely. I work for a major British retailer for university beer money and the CEO wrote to the company saying that retail sales have fallen nearly 7% this year but online sales have increased by 17%.

UK is far, far darker than Ireland for sales currently. Online is still growing here but our economy isn't in a death spiral and pretending not to be - the UKs is. And we still seem to cling to the social aspect of retail a bit more. Golden Discs are probably the only music retailer in the western world adding stores for starters.

L1011 wrote: »
    UK is far, far darker than Ireland for sales currently. Online is still growing here but our economy isn't in a death spiral and pretending not to be - the UKs is. And we still seem to cling to the social aspect of retail a bit more. Golden Discs are probably the only music retailer in the western world adding stores for starters.

I agree our economy is growing, just not in the old ways. I know tax returns for companies is up as friends work in that area.

Business need to should down the big stores, open pop ones with less staff and just sell online, their profit margins will go up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

L1011 wrote: »

Good point. I know retailers here are staying in retail but are shifting to more profitable space, Next are opening a superstore in Arnotts in the near future.

Business need to should down the big stores, open pop ones with less staff and just sell online, their profit margins will go up

Zara seem to have gone this way. Have had two few instances where items were listed online but not in stores. Even had one instance at the weekend where an item was listed as available in one of their stores but it wasn't on display when we went in to get it. Ended up asking one of the members of staff, who confirmed that they had it and she got it for us from their stock room. It was a newly (last month) listed item on their site.

Was there yesterday and the place was heaving.

The queue for Gift Vouchers was miles long.

Did anyone see that stall selling "mind boggling chocolate". My niece cried for a "screwdriver ', it was 5 euro and then the child would not eat it, as it was oily and greasy. They even look like that.

Further down was a stand selling "your photo on a block of wood". Why on earth anyone want a photo on a bit of a 4 x 2.

At Christmas you can sell anything.

• Advertisement

Was in there from late this morning til early afternoon and the place was crazy. Had to drive to the M&S carpark to get parking. That 'block of wood' stand had a big queue at it when I passed. The queues for the vouchers and Santa beside it, I suspect, were very long. Didn't need to go to either, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,968 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fools and their money!

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Heard today that the Elms, old Arc Bar is closing. Apartments going to be build there.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Really? That place seemed to be busy enough. Also got the offo and Lemon Grass. Still quite a bit of greenfields around there, it doesn't make sense to bulldoze down a going concern to make space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Was down on thursday evening and quite busy but can probably expect that due to the sale. It’s the only reason I was there. Bought nothing but a mc Donald’s and a few hangers from penny’s. Would have bought an M&S jumper for €75 but decided to see would it go down a bit more online as can also get a €10 off for email newsletter.

Didn’t notice any places shuttered. Noticed carraig dunn has a pop up for Xmas beside Next.

I must say that any staff that I had any interactions with, were very pleasant and cheerful. Especially the security staff member who was stopping customers going into the centre when it closed. Very charming man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Didn't realise the Arc was still there, a real Celtic Tiger one that. Had never seen a velvet rope at a pub before.

Wonder how true are these rumours?

Work nearby and it's busy during lunch trade.

They had tried initially to have an "exclusive"trade but that was not possible due to the locality and the evening/weekend trade.

Original owners now own Hudson Rooms at the LV centre which is busy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Are there more car show rooms been built at roundabout beside arc bar?

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Are there more car show rooms been built at roundabout beside arc bar?

No they are fast food joints going up there...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

anewme wrote: »
    No they are fast food joints going up there...

Weird size on the smaller two, I'm assuming kfc/bk . McDonalds hardly putting another one. Great location

Advertisement