Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what is meant by “lamp post watching”?

Staring at the light from the lamppost at night to see if it’s snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Thanks sryan & loughc - I thought as much but with all the technical talk on this thread I thought I may have been missing something! I’m definitely a lamppost watcher in that case & suspect a high percentage on this thread are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

It’s an activity that only the most maddest of us partakes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Aka how I spent the entirety of the end of last feb/start of march.

Right it’s coming up to 3pm. God help us from here on out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Looking at your nearest lamp post beside your house to see if you can see any snow flakes falling at night time and checking it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Billcarson wrote: »

Looking at your nearest lamp post beside your house to see if you can see any snow flakes falling at night time and checking it regularly.
    Or for the more extreme get the binoculars out and look near the light or the lights further down the road. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Beautiful calm day out. 2 hour walk around Marley park with the kids which I enjoyed more than a summer walk.
    Perhaps because you usually get many days like this in January.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think the way this will go is we will miss out on the cold by about 200-350 miles over the next 7 to 10 days. From the Netherlands to Eastern Spain and eastwards is likely to see a substantial and severe cold spell developing over the coming week.

Atlantic air will most likely move in from next Wednesday keeping Ireland and most, if not all of the UK under a relatively mild theme with high pressure keeping us quite dry for a few days. No man's land between the freezer of Europe and the very mild out in the Atlantic.

There is still a chance of Ireland and the UK tapping into cold around the 1st or 2nd week of February.

I really hope I am proven wrong by this and that we get do actually get some proper cold within the next week.

just a question, What is this Shannon and Entropy thing everybody keeps mentioning :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Lofer Austria the church is covered in snow
    wpAvv0i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

When there is feck all snow, you can sometimes see the flakes falling by watching a street light.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

How many more of you are going to tell him what lamp post watching is? I think the lad gets what it means by now.ðŸ˜

Hmmmm

Even though it’s not showing what we want to see, the ICON deserves a round of applause.

It’s hard to think of a huge backtrack to cold from here I’m afraid

Perhaps though this could be just the first bite of the cherry

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

How many more of you are going to tell him what lamp post watching is? I think the lad gets what it means by now.ðŸ˜

:D Haha BuffaloBill! I do appreciate all the responses lads. Maybe it’s a distraction from discussing the sh*tty chart runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Very flat northwesterly on the UKMO, downgrade.
    Poor ICON, downgrade.

Not a great start to the 12zs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep I think UKMO has started tapping on the nails for this spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

I’m keeping the faith..... winter is coming....John snow

The reactions on Netweather show that this could possible beat ‘That ECM’ in 2012 in terms of let downs.

You could imagine the chaos if the ECM brings out a Boom of a run later

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

pad199207 wrote: »
    The reactions on Netweather show that this could possible beat ‘That ECM’ in 2012 in terms of let downs.

In fairness one of the posters on netweather was spot on, (winter) easterlies in this part of the world are so rare and out of the ordinary that the moment a rogue model suggests a mild solution it always wins out in the end, no matter how much background support exists or the numbers of models against it. If there is disagreement of any kind it will mean a failed easterly. The wintry solutions never win out in those sorts of situations.

People were mentioning the run up to 2010 and 2018 before and claiming that there was disagreement then, I can’t speak for 2010 but 2018 had absolutely solid support from across the models from about a week out, no fluctuations from mild to cold, or different solutions or anything like that.

It’s gotten to the stage now where even if a minor model suggests a mild solution then we can assume the easterly is doomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

12Z GFS a bit of a car crash. We'd be sunbathing next week.

Trend staring to look a bit more worrisome with all the 12Z runs pretty consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

pad199207 wrote: »

I do agree with you though, there’s a pattern with Netweather posters that seems to go like:

Easterly on the way -> ECM disagrees, “it’s just one run” -> One model that still supports cold becomes the best rated model -> All models go mild, trying to salvage the situation “there’s still potential/all to play for etc” -> Admitting it’s failed, “We were lead up the garden path”. Until the next batch of cold models pop up again.

Also if one model is showing mild vs the rest it can be binned, whereas if one is showing cold and the rest aren’t it’s “onto something”. :P

Very heavy drizzle in cork city all of a sudden, visablity reduced a lot and you'd get soaked if you are outside in it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that latest GFS really is a stinker. Going by today's models, January is certainly going to finish milder than average.

The UK forecasts for a slightly cooler than average winter look in tatters now unless February brings brutal cold lasting for the entire month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

mild,moist evening in west mayo,birds chirping,the daffodils and marigolds might survive into february.

really was a pathetic winter.

What's very surprising is today, the NAO is forecast to go negative in the final days of January. This could impact things back in our favour.

nao.sprd2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

12Z GFS is hilariously bad. We can forget about cold and snow in January that much is certain now but who knows maybe February will deliver for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭esposito

mild,moist evening in west mayo,birds chirping,the daffodils and marigolds might survive into february.

really was a pathetic winter.

Was? It ain’t over by a long shot. February can often deliver.

But yes so far this winter has been pathetic and very disappointing after so much promise. Let’s see what Feb brings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

My money is on ECM to go cold again. Really hope so...

• Advertisement

My money is on ECM to go cold again. Really hope so...

with the NAO forecast to go negative there is that chance

Advertisement