Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah the fun is in the chase, seems some of ye want to throw the towel in before ye even get sweaty :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I`m curious as to how much sunshine has been recorded at Cork Airport since last weekend. There have been a few sunny spells in my area (about 30 km from there) over the last 5 or 6 days so I assume there has been some there as well.

Cork Airport has recorded 2.4 hrs of sun this January so far up to the 11th (and that also equals to last weekend).

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

I think MT did say recently that the models should be ignored for a couple of days until they get a handle on the SSW?
    Netweather is an amazing place to watch human behaviour! Grown adults losing the plot because a computer algorithm spat out a different result than they wanted!
    Personally I can't see anything much happening in the next week or so, it would be great if the cold shifted further West.
    Who knows what February brings, still all to play for.
    Many thanks to the guys who post the charts throughout the year and explain for us noobs what they are showing. It is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

After last March, all I can say is get the grog in, and the bread in the freezer. U will survive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Liffey4A wrote: »
    I think MT did say recently that the models should be ignored for a couple of days until they get a handle on the SSW?
    Netweather is an amazing place to watch human behaviour! Grown adults losing the plot because a computer algorithm spat out a different result than they wanted!
    Personally I can't see anything much happening in the next week or so, it would be great if the cold shifted further West.
    Who knows what February brings, still all to play for.
    Many thanks to the guys who post the charts throughout the year and explain for us noobs what they are showing. It is much appreciated.

I would say there is a better than average chance it will bring an Atlantic storm or two. A full month now since the last real stormy conditions so we will surely not go through the rest of the winter without getting any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

How to build an igloo, page 7..

Yikes, if that system delivers around the 22/23rd we'll be buried in it! Long ways away still in FI but that's a few similar outputs i've seen for then. Can't help but get a little amped. Fun week ahead for chart watchers. They don't call it a rollercoaster for nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

For a dummie like me this is really hard to follow. The charts in FI look like its going to be really cold with possible snow storms but the posts all seem so negative?

Not a fan of the cold or snow myself I've to Drive on a lot of unsalted rural roads on my commute, so loving this mild winter so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Villain wrote: »
    Ah the fun is in the chase, seems some of ye want to throw the towel in before ye even get sweaty :p

Especially those of us who've been chasing since Halloween...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

For a dummie like me this is really hard to follow. The charts in FI look like its going to be really cold with possible snow storms but the posts all seem so negative?

Not a fan of the cold or snow myself I've to Drive on a lot of unsalted rural roads on my commute, so loving this mild winter so far.

Don’t think the negative posts were based on models, just hunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Agreed. I enjoy reading the weather threads here but I've no idea how to read the charts.

It would be nice if someone posted a "dummies guide" for each chart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I ask you....is this the most boring winter ever??

No severe frost, no snow, no storms nothing...just meh weather

overcast mild boring weather for weeks un-end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

fryup wrote: »

Had to cut the grass today, in f€ckin January, global warming can do one!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Agreed, it's ****e. Would make you lose interest in the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A Winter that I'd dread to experience was 1991-92 which was very mild, very dry and very dull. December 1991 was the dullest on record for some including Cork Airport but also the driest on record for most with little frost. Typical chart from that season:

archives-1991-12-12-12-0.png?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well that was pointless now wasn't it?
    It wasn't in 09'...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Agreed, it's ****e. Would make you lose interest in the weather.

yep, there nothing to talk about to strangers while you're walking the dog or down the shops :( makes half-talk very difficult

yep, there nothing to talk about to strangers while you're walking the dog or down the shops :( makes half-talk very difficult

Ah you can still manage it! When there's no weather to complain about we complain about the lack of weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's nice to be able to walk the dog and walk to the shops though....do a bit of outside work......dry clothes outside.......not be burning copious amounts of fossil fuels .......I'm loving it
    Relativelly mild and dry. Winter heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I saw someone cutting his lawn today. To be fair, there is grass growth already.

km79 wrote: »
    It's nice to be able to walk the dog and walk to the shops though....do a bit of outside work......dry clothes outside.......not be burning copious amounts of fossil fuels .......I'm loving it
    Relativelly mild and dry. Winter heaven

Twasnt that here today anyway. Drizzle with gaps of about 15-30minutes.

Hideous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Twasnt that here today anyway. Drizzle with gaps of about 15-30minutes.

Hideous.

Cooler here but dry and great drying
    Got a load of work done outside which needed doing
    This winter has been very kind to me here for various reasons !

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I saw someone cutting his lawn today. To be fair, there is grass growth already.

Mowed mine today - great weather for it .

With a breakdown incoming and wet / cold weather on the way I took advantage of the dry weather while I could .

Thinking back to last March, this forum and the people on it led me to buy a tabogan from my local Halfords 5 days before the snow arrived .

My 10 year old and I made memories we'll both never forget !

Fingers crossed for all the cold lovers on here that they get some fun .😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

For me, this winter holds no redeeming qualities at all. No wind, no proper rain yet no drying, no fog despite the constantly high humidity, no frost, no nothing, and I see no real respite from this awful spell of weather on the charts at all. Yes, I know it is 'only' January 12th, but that still means that the guts of the best part of winter now behind us. Days will begin to lengthen significantly from here on in as we hurtle towards another boring spring followed by what probably will be another uncomfortably hot, featureless summer.

Maybe we will get some Beasty or Northy snow once again in Feb or March, but this just is not the same as experiencing the same sort of weather in December or January.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    For me, this winter holds no redeeming qualities at all. No wind, no proper rain yet no drying, no fog despite the constantly high humidity, no frost, no nothing, and I see no real respite from this awful spell of weather on the charts at all. Yes, I know it is 'only' January 12th, but that still means that the guts of the best part of winter now behind us. Days will begin to lengthen significantly from here on in as we hurtle towards another boring spring followed by what probably will be another uncomfortably hot, featureless summer.

Maybe we will get some Beasty or Northy snow once again in Feb or March, but this just is not the same as experiencing the same sort of weather in December or January.

To be fair that’s an awful lot to be expecting from an Irish climate ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pad199207 wrote: »
    I speak as someone who holds no illusions about the Irish climate at all, but this current spell not only takes the proverbial biscuit, but the whole friggin' bumper pack.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

pad199207 wrote: »
    Agree. I think expectations have been vastly increased due to our few red alerts.
    This winter seems a bit better than usual but hardly out of the ordinary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have to agree, so far this winter has been one of the worst I can ever remember in terms of cold. We are now half way through January and the last cold night we had was 31st of October, back in Autumn.

No frost or sub zero temperatures since Winter began, 74 relatively mild nights in a row, most days in double digit temperatures, no hail, sleet or snow anywhere below 500 meters.

Even if cold weather, frost and snow is not your passion, there has been almost no sun or dryness since 1st of November either. Sure we've had a few days without rain, especially over the past 3 weeks, but the ground at least here where I live, has remained somewhat damp the entire time, either from mist or drizzle.

I know the weather is about to get more interesting, we will surely get some frost or wintry precipitation over the next 2 weeks, but this first half of winter has been exceptionally bland, mild and non eventful even by Irish standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

First cut of silage in South Tipp,not joking.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Daffodils are coming up already in my area, they did this last year too before the snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Boredom? Nah. A mild winter when folk can walk, get out, enjoy life without being battered, frozen and generally being treated like cod!

Only folk lacking in resourcefulness get bored!

The weather has been and is lovely. Totally grand.

Get out there and dig the garden!

Advertisement